Forum shouldn't have level based on nr of posts

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Forum shouldn't have level based on nr of posts

Post by mzsade » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:50 am

Since this includes forum policy, please allow me to make a suggestion; this "Level" assignment makes me cringe with embarrassment, it should be based on the number of times a user has helped to resolve an issue for fellow users and not on the number of posts or date of joining.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Forum shouldn't have level based on nr of posts

Post by kyphi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Who decides which response deserves the brownie point if the original poster fails to respond or assigns it inappropriately?

The "Level" shows that a contributor is active in the Linux Mint Forum and has been so for a while - nothing else. That they might have become more knowledgeable in the process is assumed.

Compare that to the Ubuntu system where "karma" points are accumulated for any post even if it is just to say "Hello" (just like in Linux Mint). Where it differs is that "karma" points "evaporate" during periods of inactivity of a contributor until they reach zero. There too, the number of points is not indicative of effectiveness but merely of participation.

In this forum we all contribute, each according to their ability. Often the contribution of one contributor will trigger a response to advance a solution by another contributor. Who then should get the kudos?
Last edited by kyphi on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon - 64bit

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Do you want to be in charge of determining who has helped whom, and make the rankings based on that? There really is no easy way to do it; it would have to be done manually. For myself, anyway, I can think of better things to do with my time.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Hello mzsade - I have to agree with kyphi and jimallyn. While it may seem like a good idea, implementing and managing such a system would be very difficult and time consuming. This is a large board, and the mods and admins already have their hands full as it is. And no matter what, you'll always get people complaining if they feel the system has not been fair to them.

Their is one thing I feel would be a much bigger improvement on this forum, and it is something I've seen happen far too many times: People do not mark their threads as <Solved>. Doing this would accomplish two things: If people searching for a solution to a similar problem take the time to read the thread, they might be able to apply it to their situation and not even have to start a thread of their own. And for people like me, who think they can offer someone a solution to a problem, it would save them from reading through the entire thread only to find it's already been solved.

Post counts don't mean a lot to me. What's more rewarding is when someone has that eureka moment and posts back "It's working now. Thank you so much." What's even more rewarding is when someone who wasn't even involved in the thread reads it and then PM's me later on to say "I'm impressed. You did a good job on that post". I've had that happen several times as well. As kyphi stated, each person contributes whatever they can according to their own abilities.
Last edited by Derek_S on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

shengchieh
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shengchieh » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:06 pm

I've seen some forum have "rep power" or something similiar that the OP can click if the post is good. I've seen other forums where the OP has 5 points to distribute to those whom help.
An exmple of a rep power forum is

http://www.kittyforums.net

I don't remember where i saw the "5 points" forum. Admin, take a look at the extensions of this forum. One of them may well be a distribution of "points".

Sheng-Chieh

shengchieh
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shengchieh » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:08 pm

LL forum has "reputation" feature.

https://www.linuxliteos.com

Sheng-Chieh

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:42 am

I do see these various points, but please folks let's keep it as it is.

The "level" simply gives an indication of how active someone is on the forum and no more should be read into it. A lot of the means for scoring "reputation" can get very subjective - and I hate fora where you feel constantly encouraged to formally "thank" people for their posts. Let's just get on with sharing knowledge!

bustere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bustere » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:26 am

" ...but please folks let's keep it as it is. "

Agree. Simple is almost always good.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:46 am

People do not mark their threads as <Solved>.

Yes! It'd be nice if the forum software would, when an OP makes a subsequent post, ask the OP if the issue was solved and automagically mark the thread.

I just read a (first) post about permission problems; it was incomprehensible, but at the end it said something like "I fixed it so others know how". So, it wasn't a question in the first place...and was not marked SOLVED. (and I guess my idea above wouldn't work unless they made a follow-up post).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:28 am

OK, that's going to be a lot of work and who will agree with the results..

I have some problems with the board in general
  • Moderators preempting other users
    --but that's my interpretation, it could be they have a faster TCP connection and get in first: it only raises my suspicions
  • Deleting of replies(posts)
    --moderator decision; how can I disagree if something that I post doesn't appear in the list of posts, I have no control of that

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:12 pm

DrHu wrote:
  • Moderators preempting other users
    --but that's my interpretation, it could be they have a faster TCP connection and get in first: it only raises my suspicions
New user posts must be approved by moderators. Therefore yes, Mod are first on these posts.
And it's a very good feature. It has reduced the spam to almost 0 whereas a few months/years back we were constantly under spam attack...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:44 pm

agreed keep it simple

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:49 am

What are we talking about, guys? Is it so important to get an award for helping somebody?
I help when I can and on the other hand I ask questions when I have to. When I have helped somebody to solve a problem I have a good day, even more so when I know the solution can help more people who read the thread. I don't need awards for that. Isn't that what the forum is all about? Helping each other as much as possible?
Keep the system as it is now: for every time you post something you get a point, question or answer doesn't matter. It is a nice way of showing how active somebody is.

I also would like it if more threads are closed with the text [SOLVED] in the title. It helps me when I search something on Google.I type the subject I am looking for and include the word solved, so I find threads which actually have been solved to give me a better chance of finding the solution I am looking for.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:20 am

mzsade wrote:it should be based on the number of times a user has helped to resolve an issue.
"helped" is subjective. "Resolve" is too.
I don't seek to help anybody do anything other than to help them learn to help themselves. Here and elsewhere in other forums.
I don't give a "hoot in hell" what Level that makes me.

dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 am

I like Mint's current state. With frequent enough participation, a user will start to recognize the more helpful experts among the crowd, regardless of level.
Be thankful that only the level is affected by number of posts. Some forums require a minimum number of posts to "unlock" certain popular user customizations. For example, on the MacRumors.com forums, a user needs to have 50 posts to access the Marketplace (a buy/sell subforum), and 500 posts just to have an avatar.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Mint Cinnamon on Dell XPS 210, Optiplex 760, Inspiron N4110 and Latitude E4200;
Mint Xfce on Lenovo Ideapad S10.
Some OS X and WinXP too; I'm multi-platform like that.

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:59 pm

I agree that things are okay in their current state. I have on one occasion felt a little irritated by being reposted to another subforum by a moderator of an OP, but in retrospect understand the decision. I was querying an LMDE forum about another closely related Debian fork (SolydXK). I should have posted it to a general distro forum rather than LMDE. As for rating users according to the "helpfulness" of their posts, I am reminded of the judging system for Olympic competitions like figure skating or gymnastics - awarding of points is a very subjective issue, especially at moderate to high levels of expertise. Let the moderators do their largely thankless jobs, and let the forum participants decide upon who seems to know what. If nothing else, number of posts indicates 1) how interested the member appears to be in participating in the forum, and 2) it is an overall heuristic predictor of how much experience the person has in Linux issues. Heck, this post might be considered to be largely hot air, but it shows I'm at least interested enough to blow some steam.

Cheers.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:46 am

I think the best way to settle this issue would be as follows

build a huge arena like the romans used to and we can battle it out like gladiators with swords and lions and other scary stuff, Clem and the devs can sit in the royal box and watch as the forum users fight it out to death with the last one standing being crowned king of the forum - simples! :lol:

I have no problem with the current set up, the number of posts = level only lets me know roughly how active on the forum someone is, which in turn most likely means that the more active they are, the more knowledgable about linux they are and likewise they are able to help with other users issues. the only exception being the moderators who have to post to explain why posts get moved/deleted etc

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:37 am

1.618 wrote:the only exception being the moderators who have to post to explain why posts get moved/deleted etc
Generally we don't make a post just to explain why a topic was moved, as that post isn't helpful to the topic itself. Instead we edit the first post on the topic and add the reason for moving it there in the "reason for editing" field. Though if I do have a helpful comment to make on the topic, I add the reason for moving the topic in that post.

We've explored other ways of ranking members when we explored different forum software in the past. Mostly for reasons others have already commented here, we didn't like it. The current system is a good indicator of activity and also, I personally think, generally of knowledge on problem solving on Linux Mint.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 pm

xenopeek wrote:The current system is a good indicator of activity and also, I personally think, generally of knowledge on problem solving on Linux Mint.
I agree but at the same time it is important to understand that this may not be always true.
When you see this for example, you can have some doubts :lol:
Most active forum:
Introduce yourself
(1395 Posts / 52.98% of user’s posts)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:43 pm

No system is perfect... :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”