Upgrade from Mint 17 to Mint 17.1

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old farmer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Old farmer »

Just wondering if it was worth the time/effort to upgrade to 17.1 from mint 17.
I have kept up with all the updates so far
Thanks.
BTW, if this is answered somewhere else. please send me there :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Upgrade from Mint 17 to Mint 17.1

Post by jimallyn »

The real answer is: it depends. Are you the sort of person who insists having the latest version of everything? If so, then maybe you should do the upgrade. But if it is working for you now, why bother? I haven't upgraded any of my Mint 17 installs to 17.1. I might get around to it eventually, but it's just not a priority for me. YMMV
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Here is some more information about upgrading in case you might be interested.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2725
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Old farmer wrote:Just wondering if it was worth the time/effort to upgrade to 17.1 from mint 17.
Thanks.
Hi Old farmer,

I personally think that it is, if only for the greatly improved "Update Manager" which works way better than it used to. There are other good things in the upgrade as well. It should not take very long to upgrade either.

FYI: It would help us to know what edition of Linux Mint you are using when you post a question, ex: Linux Mint: Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (my fav), or Xfce, 32-bit or 64-bit? Perhaps some hardware info too. There are some differences in each. You can also put this information into your signature line of your profile under the "user control panel" in the upper left of this forum screen, so that when you post a question, or reply to one, we will have information to help you out. You can see an example under my post and other user's posts. You can get this information from your System Menu option System Information, or Infocenter, or by typing in a console terminal "inxi -Fx".
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
konjad

Post by konjad »

Old farmer wrote:Just wondering if it was worth the time/effort to upgrade to 17.1 from mint 17.
Thanks.
I upgraded to 17.1 only for KDE update to get rid of a bug that I had, albeit a minor one (with the pager). So it was worthwhile for me, but other than that there was nothing else that I even noticed to be different. I will probably stick to 17.1 for a long time because it runs flawlessly, at least so far, hence why I don't need to upgrade further and risk any new issues.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

I just found this website explaining how to update from 17 to 17.1. I haven't tried it yet, but I will when I get home.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/9

Proverbs‬ ‭16‬:‭20‬
Old farmer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Old farmer »

Joshual1177 wrote:I just found this website explaining how to update from 17 to 17.1. I haven't tried it yet, but I will when I get home.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/9

I checked out the link and decided to upgrade.
the page says that I'll be asked to upgrade to a new kernel. but when I rebooted it opened to 17.1
Easiest upgrade I've done
Thanks
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

I just did it too and it worked great. Only problem I'm having now is getting my iPhone to mount.

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I'm with jimallyn on this one. I have not upgraded any of my production machines - all are still running LM17C64. I have one "experimental" laptop that I upgraded just for the experience and to see what LM17.1 was like first hand. I like 17.1 but, for me, nothing in it is compelling enough to make me want to upgrade my production machines.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”