ever spread the word to non-techy ppl?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Have you ever converted a non-techy to Linux IRL?

yes :)
71%
no because I want to keep it to myself
6%
no because even Mint is to hard for them
3%
no because they use they use software that has no good Linux alternate
6%
no because of gaming
No votes
no because of another reason (please say what it is)
13%

Total votes: 31

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

ever spread the word to non-techy ppl?

Post by coder123 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:46 am

Hey guys so ever since the windows 8 fail I've been working on moving over to Linux completely. ( despite winddows 10 and Linux Mint to be exact since I've determined from the distros I've tried that it has the most driver support preloaded :) ) I'm curious to know if any of you guys have converted non-techy people IRL to Linux. I'm wondering because everyone I know IRL who even know what Linux is, is a techy. Although I've turned this into a poll please reply with whatever feedback you have. :)

By the way I've made it so you can pick all 6 options of the poll if all 6 apply to you.
Linux and most of it's apps are the way it should be for the individual user. Free and and open source. And then there's Redhat for businesses that want to use Linux.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: ever spread the word to non-techy ppl?

Post by BigEasy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:28 am

Yes, It's my wife :)
As I seen you registered and created poll almost at the same time, may I ask you first if you already converted somebody and yourself ?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:05 am

Several people, who just needed a reliable computer without hassles. I've installed Linux Mint for them.

They're very happy with their Linux, although they understand nothing of its innards: they only need to install updates, and that's it. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:00 am

Yes, several people - and once they understand that there ARE substitutes for Microsoft Word (and when they really believe me when I tell them there's little or no risk from viruses) they get on fine. One person I "lost" was a friend who loved Linux Mint but had problems finding a VPN client that worked well for him. Eventually we had to give up and he returned to Windows.

However, I never just give people an ISO. I partition and install for them, and then show them how the package management system works as in my experience this is what is most unfamiliar to people coming from other OSs.

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:07 pm

BigEasy wrote:Yes, It's my wife :)
As I seen you registered and created poll almost at the same time, may I ask you first if you already converted somebody and yourself ?
No I haven't. The opportunity hasn't presented itself to me. Plus specialized software seems to be real problem for conversion from what I've heard and have experienced somewhat. (But I feel like I'm living in a time period where that's all about to change. :) )

Glad to see you guys have done it a bunch. :)
Linux and most of it's apps are the way it should be for the individual user. Free and and open source. And then there's Redhat for businesses that want to use Linux.

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:33 pm

fraxinus_63 wrote:Yes, several people - and once they understand that there ARE substitutes for Microsoft Word (and when they really believe me when I tell them there's little or no risk from viruses) they get on fine. One person I "lost" was a friend who loved Linux Mint but had problems finding a VPN client that worked well for him. Eventually we had to give up and he returned to Windows.

However, I never just give people an ISO. I partition and install for them, and then show them how the package management system works as in my experience this is what is most unfamiliar to people coming from other OSs.
Yeah even I'm still trying to understand the filesystem. Most of my experience so far has been installing via software manager or terminal using apt-get install...so I never needed to worry about where things were getting installed but when I try to look into it it seems like apps like VLC for example are install in multiple locations in Linux and not one central area like windows. (where everything is either in the program files folder or program files x86 folder) am I correct and if so why is that? Why is it that when an app is installed pieces of it go all over the place within the usr folder?

niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:48 pm

'Change must come from within.' And sometimes even that's not enough ...
coder123 wrote:specialized software seems to be real problem for conversion from what I've heard and have experienced somewhat
Example from just a few months ago. I have mentioned I use Mint to a couple of friends of mine (brothers), who got really interested and very eager to try it. They even bought a new SSD drive specifically for the purpose of installing Mint on it. They installed it themselves, but their enthusiasm evaporated in an instance, when they realised they can't use their soundcard software on Linux ... Throw Adobe CS in the mix and the net result is: they booted it 2 or 3 times, and proceeded to reinstalling Windows (I think 7). Some people just like things to be the way they like ...

I've had a similar experience with printer software in the past.

So no, I don't really bother, if someone wants to try, they will with or without me.
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:49 pm

A friend of mine used to work for me, and at my shop, he used both Windows and Linux. When he got a computer of his own, he had the choice to run either Windows on it, or Linux on it. He chose Linux, because he felt it was easier to use. Another friend of mine was tired of having to get his computer cleaned of viruses, and when I told him about Linux, he was all for it. He also found it easy to use. A friend of mine is a pastor, and he wanted to change to Linux because he didn't think it was appropriate for a pastor to give money to an immoral company like Microsoft. He is also definitely not a techy, but he has been using Linux on his computers, and his family's computers, for over 5 years. (I do computer support for him, but he hasn't needed much support.) The pastor at my church is somewhat techy, but not a computer geek by any means, I would say. He uses Linux on his computers, and several of the church's computers also run Linux. All of the public access computers at the local library run Linux, and I see people using them all the time, and none of them seem to have any problems with it. I would guess that most of them are NOT techies. And a guy I know from the Linux Internationals forum does computer support for 35 or 40 people, and he has all of them on Linux. He says it's quite rare for any of them to ask to go back to Windows.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:58 am

@niowluka

Sorry to hear that. It's ironic to me that despite the fact that Linux devs out number Windows devs specialized software is an issue that affects conversion.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:06 am

coder123 wrote:The opportunity hasn't presented itself to me. Plus specialized software seems to be real problem for conversion from what I've heard and have experienced somewhat. (But I feel like I'm living in a time period where that's all about to change. :) )
If only need to browse internet, open some office documents, listen music and watch video then be sure - Linux Mint do it perfectly.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:09 am

coder123 wrote:Sorry to hear that
No reason to be sorry. If they are happy with Windows, I am happy.
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC

Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:38 am

I've converted several people. As for me I remote into my hospital-based desktop, it's electronic medical record, another cloud based electronic medical record, and other remote sites in its sphere. Despite the hospital being eyeball-deep in bed with Micro$oft, they all work great with Linux.
John
Blue Ridge Mountains, USA

I take refuge in the 3 jewels of the Linux Dharma: Kindness and Generosity (Buddha), Freedom (Dharma), and Collaboration (Sangha).

100% LInux since 2002

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:51 am

niowluka wrote:
coder123 wrote:Sorry to hear that
No reason to be sorry. If they are happy with Windows, I am happy.
Ok cool. It's just that I wish we could convert as many people as possible to Linux (even if they prefer another distro other than Mint) but from what I've heard that's proved to be very hard hence my interest in the results of this topic. There's one thing I fear about getting Linux very populated which I will make another poll about.

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:51 am

Dutchmaster wrote:I've converted several people. As for me I remote into my hospital-based desktop, it's electronic medical record, another cloud based electronic medical record, and other remote sites in its sphere. Despite the hospital being eyeball-deep in bed with Micro$oft, they all work great with Linux.
Nice!!!

jonmarx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonmarx » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:22 pm

YES - "Your computer has totally died and you don't have much money. Here's an old computer I don't need any more. I've wiped it and put Linux Mint on it."
YES - "Your computer's HDD has died. I can fix it by putting in a new HDD but Windows XP is history, so I'll install LInux Mint instead - it's better than Windows, you'll love it."
NO - "You've listened to my enthusiasm for Linux Mint, understood why it could be an improvement for you and are going to download and install it yourself."
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. From each according to their abilities... http://www.golinuxmint.com.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:38 pm

I had one person trying it, but they preferred Windows and moved back. :(
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Non-Techy is another name for "user" and HELL NO, as they won't "get it".
When they're tired of (re-)installing
  • * Viruses
    * Infections
    * Spam
    * Trojans
    * Adware
they'll ask me, and I tell them "I don't have to worry about that." THEN they'll ask.
Here's a Free disk. Boot it. Live it. Love it.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Not even one person. Everyone lost interest after 15 minutes of showing them how Linux works. They know their way around Windows and see no need to change just for the sake of change. 99% of people don't care about learning something new when Windows does the basic tasks that they need.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:29 am

I gave up talking about Linux unless the person asks me about it or I have fixed their Windows install several times. Most people seem to have no interest until they have problems. I could always understand avid gamers not being interested. My father-in-law is a good example. He did not want to hear about Linux until after I had re-installed Windows several times on his computer. He finally asked me how he could stop from getting viruses all the time?

He decided to give Linux a try and has been happy ever since. He mostly does basic things with his computer and once he realized that Linux was point and click he was comfortable with it. I think most people are just afraid of what they don't know. We know the advantages of running Linux but the average person does not really think about these things. Lack of out of the box printer drivers tuns a lot of people off to running Linux too.

In my father-in-law's case he had an HP printer so there was no problem. Many people buy cheap Lexmark printers around here though and they just will not work with Linux.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:21 am

z31fanatic wrote:Not even one person. Everyone lost interest after 15 minutes of showing them how Linux works. They know their way around Windows and see no need to change just for the sake of change. 99% of people don't care about learning something new when Windows does the basic tasks that they need.
and yet they will happily BUY a Newer Version of Windows from some store :(
- but - won't apply that same persistence to learning a New Linux O/S.
:o
- yet have Just as many Issues with the New Windows O/S - as they would have with a New Linux O/S.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”