Mint KDE vs Kubuntu

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Hot Wampa
Level 1
Level 1

Mint KDE vs Kubuntu

Post by Hot Wampa »

I like KDE a lot. Gnome, Cinnamon, and xfce OK. Unity infuriates me.
Kubuntu was OK for a while. It has been a couple years, so I don't remember what it was that I disliked about it, but I replaced it with openSUSE after a few months, which became my favorite distro.

I'm wondering how Mint KDE stacks up against Kubuntu. What are the major differences?

Thanks

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mint KDE vs Kubuntu

Post by Fred Barclay »

I've just got to say this after seeing it on Linux Mint Mate vs. Ubuntu Mate:
BigEasy wrote:One legendary donkey starves to death because it has no reason to choose between two equidistant and equally tempting piles of hay.
They're both good, I'm sure. The differences are mainly in the design philosophy of Mint: Change nothing if it isn't broken. Ubuntu operates on giving you updates to everything, even updates that might be harmful, while Mint is move conservative in its update policy (think "Update Levels").
Also, there are tools in Mint that aren't in Ubuntu: mintNanny, mintUpdate, mintStick, etc...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

Fred Barclay wrote:One legendary donkey starves to death because it has no reason to choose between two equidistant and equally tempting piles of hay.
Definitely this. Kubuntu and Mint KDE are great distros. You really can't go wrong with either of them.

If you choose Kubuntu, it's probably better to stick with LTS (14.04.2) since LTSs tend to be more polished and less buggy, and you only have to upgrade every 2 years, as opposed to six months. The problem with the interim releases is that they are a bit more experimental, so they might include software (like KDE 5) that's great, but not quite stable enough for everyday use.

If you're looking for a "workhorse" distro, Mint KDE or Kubuntu 14.04. If you want the latest and greatest, at the expense of frequent upgrading, and less stability, Kubuntu 15.04.

mrdachshund86

mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

They are extremely similar. I run Kubuntu 14.04 on my desktop, with Mint KDE 17.x on my laptop.

Some differences:

1. Kubuntu comes with a basic KDE install, and default configuration options. Mint KDE adds a lot of customizations out of the box, like right click root menus in dolphin. All this can be added to Kubuntu manually however, since the customization of KDE is always it's strong suit.

2. Mint KDE adds Mint specific tools like Update manager. Muon, teh default update manager in Kubuntu, sucks. I do everything from the terminal, so I don't care about either.

3. Mint uses a different theme and has different look by default

4. The LTS policies are slightly different. Mint 17.x sticks with the same base and kernel. However the 17.2 version will install a different kernel (3.16) if you install from scratch. Ubuntu 14.04 will always use the same kernel, but if yoy install 14.04.2 from scratch, you will get a 3.16 series kernel by deafult. In either case (Mint or Kubuntu), the 3.13 kernel will never upgrade automatically unless you manually request it.

5. The Non LTS versions of Kubuntu are more cutting edge, like 15.04 which previews KDE 5. Mint has no such options.

6. The kubuntu forums are very helpful, and the level of knowledge for KDE specific issues is generally higher than here.

Hot Wampa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hot Wampa »

Thanks for the info! It is sincerely appreciated.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”