Rebrand Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Rebrand Linux Mint?

No
35%
Yes (with the 'mint leaf' logo shown in this post)
61%
Yes (with another logo)
4%

Total votes: 74

Jernau

Re: Rebrand Linux Mint?

Post by Jernau »

Zwopper wrote:If your creativity gets the better of you though, there are lots of interesting projects out there that need skilled artists.
For instance, take a look at Zenwalk - both myself, McLovin and akaned has made some contributions there,
#! Crunchbang where omns is the main artist and I have chipped in some stuff as well,
SliTaz, where among others sputty01 has made it to the front page with a version of the December WOTM!
Well, there are literally thousands of projects out there that could use a skilled artist as yourself.
Thanks for the tips Zwopper, I might have to check out those distributions. :)
Zwopper wrote:Whatever you decide I wish you all the best - thanks for the help, inspiration and all the great art!
It's been a real pleasure being involved in the art-team community here. Zwopper, you've been a big part of that - so if you ever come to Stockholm there's a beer here with your name on it. 8)
belovedmonster wrote:Clem probably doesn't want to completely change the branding of one of the most popular distros in the world so early after switching to the current branding, and because it was your logo that he happens to be turning down you now get the huff and want to leave? That's pretty over the top IMO.
Like I said in my post, I'm leaving the art-team with no bad feelings and plan to stick around to see the development of Linux Mint. I just came to realize a difference in artistic direction (and ideas on communication) between myself and the development team. This is a common occurrence in open source projects, and isn't necessarily something negative. I move on to other projects that more closely match my outlook, and new people move in to work on Linux Mint. Everyone's happy. :)
belovedmonster wrote:If I sound like I'm being harsh here it's because I'm trying to give you a virtual slap around the face and tell you to get a grip of yourself. There's no need to proclaim you are leaving in some big overly dramatic way.
I didn't mean to be overly dramatic, I just wanted to let people know what I was planning on doing and why. If I chose my words poorly then I apologize.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Jernau wrote:Thanks for the tips Zwopper, I might have to check out those distributions. :)
Cool! 8) I look forward to seeing you there!
Jernau wrote:It's been a real pleasure being involved in the art-team community here. Zwopper, you've been a big part of that - so if you ever come to Stockholm there's a beer here with your name on it. 8)
I might just take you up on that offer some day! :wink:
Live Long And Prosper!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
EchoLynx

Post by EchoLynx »

I chose with a different logo because personally, though I like the way the L and M are stylized in the current logo (the text and catchphrase are great as it is) I never liked the leaf much. The suggested rebrand is just too wiry for my taste. There is a fine line between elegance/grace and insubstansial/flimsy when it comes to things like these.

As for voting on the logo, I came after that- so it's not exactly the best way to judge it. An official vote on whether or not to change it is likely in order- and we will go from there.

-Ian
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I'm late to the dance, I know, but here's my thought. I like the logo, and feel it is the wrong time to make a change. You don't establish a brand identity by jumping around with logos. Leave it along for a while.

There is one change I would suggest. The variation used with the KDE Community version is not very good. It is way too busy, and just messes with the "elegance" of the original design. Kind of like it got acne and grew whiskers! :D Just use the same logo. The change to blue is quite enough.

Also, the "Dew" wallpaper is beautiful. If I had my druthers, I'd reduce the size of the logo just a bit and move it off to the lower right area.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have always liked the new logo . . . (a single mint leaf) . . . it has my vote.

From a graphic designer viewpoint, a perfect Logo design . . . simple in layout, easily recognisable, simple in colour

The new logo would look good in a business envelope or a billboard . . . :mrgreen:
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Sorry I don't know what the purpose of a poll like this is
--If you have a logo or other design to suggest, it could go into the suggest for Mint forum area..

However I see no need for the developers to pay any attention to any design that is/isn't any better than the brand they currently use/have designed
--and I see no need to vote on it or for it; one way or another.

I specifically see the term re-brand Mint as being a kind of insult to what exists already
--or even the suggestion that it should be re-branded (changed), simply as an expression of my style or interests

I would hope that anyone thinking that way would do the courtesy of contacting the developers to see if they were interested.
--in some arrangement
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

I'm not sure if this is inappropriate to bump, but I'd like to do so. I think this would make a much better logo. The current one is just strange looking.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”