LinuxMint a boring OS?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LinuxMint a boring OS?

Post by InkKnife » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:35 pm

thom_A wrote:Yeah. Most people don't use default graphics. But it doesn't hurt presenting good graphics for defaults. And I'm open to leaving them as they are if they're good. Of course, this is subjective.

I don't know how many times I've downloaded Mint ISO'S in the past only to discard them because of this boring gray default background. I was thinking, "Do they really think it's cute and looks pro?" Give me a break. There are hundreds of artists out there who would be willing to provide good graphics for free.

And the thing is that I've probably installed the current Mint flavors dozens and dozens of time on 4 computers, testing, retesting, configuring, changing defaults, etc. It would save tremendous amounts of time if defaults are to your liking.

But I can't complain. It's free and it's running smoothly. :)
Not to be snarky but have you even bothered to look and see the wealth of wallpapers Mint comes with? Or the selection of Cinnamon, GTK and icons themes available in a default Mint install?
The default theme is kinda drab but all you have to do is take the effort to go to settings and the entire look can be changed with a few clicks.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LinuxMint a boring OS?

Post by DeMus » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:38 am

InkKnife wrote: Not to be snarky but have you even bothered to look and see the wealth of wallpapers Mint comes with? Or the selection of Cinnamon, GTK and icons themes available in a default Mint install?
The default theme is kinda drab but all you have to do is take the effort to go to settings and the entire look can be changed with a few clicks.
Right, it just takes a few seconds to change it to your liking. Mint obviously has chosen for the themes they supply, you can like it or you don't. As I wrote before, it is never good for everyone. Taste is something so subjective. What Clem likes is not what you like, what you like is something I don't like, etc.
Just install the OS, and as said by InkKnife change it with a few mouse clicks. Indeed, the wallpaper pictures are super, although I use my own holiday pictures in a slideshow.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”