Don't know if I should use Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Magil
Level 1
Level 1

Don't know if I should use Mint

Post by Magil »

Hello everyone!

Well, I'm kinda weird. I absolutely love Linux and I've spent the most time on Linux Mint, but still I have some doubts about using it. Well... Mint is somehow too easy, I guess. It's well-known that Mint is the best for newbies, etc. But what if I'm a little experienced user, who want to learn more and get more from his OS? I know, it's stupid, but from the very beginning I wanted to have "my os" and I wanted to stick with only one (primary) distro without any need to change it. I'm always jealous when someone's saying that he's using his distro for a long time, so why can't I? I think one of the main reasons is the fact I'm starting IT studies in October and I'm quite nervous about it. It's preasure for me. When I used other distros I was finding myself thinking that I prefer comfort of Mint. When I used Mint, I was finding myself thinking that I should use more advanced distro.

So, what do you think about it? Should I use Mint? Is it "advanced" enough and good when it comes to some more challenging task?

seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Don't know if I should use Mint

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Some more info, please (release, DE,...)
What about LMDE?
seeley @ Linux multiboot

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Magil wrote: So, what do you think about it? Should I use Mint? Is it "advanced" enough and good when it comes to some more challenging task?
There is only two things in computers world - desktops and servers. Use Mint like you use Windows desktops. But for "challenging task" there is Oracle Linux, CentOS, Debian.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Magil wrote: So, what do you think about it? Should I use Mint? Is it "advanced" enough and good when it comes to some more challenging task?
What kind of more challenging tasks?

If it's working too well for you, just break it. And then learn how to fix it...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Magil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magil »

I'm talking about Mint generally. I guess release and enviroment doesn't matter much, but I was using Mint 17(0-2), cinnamon in most cases, but also MATE for some time and xfce a little. Cinnamon is my favorite one and I used it in other distros (Arch, Debian, etc.). I also used Plasma 5, KDE4, Gnome, Unity, ldxe.
About LMDE, I used it for about half of month and I find it somehow slower than Ubuntu-based version. It was Betsy with cinnamon. On the other hand, it has less problems with device like 3g modem and it seemed to be more stable.

BigEasy, so you think Mint is gonna provide me basically everything I'll need? Also, can I "learn Linux" by using only Mint?

killer de bug, I don't quite know (don't kill me :lol: ). Some customizing, "tuning" kernel (if it'd be needed), going "under the hood"; this sort of things. I know, it's stupid, but I want to be sure that my system can handle something, if I'll happen to need it.

Thanks for answers :D As I said, I'm weird about that.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

Maybe you can stick with Mint, and focus on using CLI it will get you ( under the hood as you said ) from there you can tweak your system, and sometimes break your system as killer de bug said, and then learn how to fix it. The experience will take you a long way in learning.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Magil wrote:BigEasy, so you think Mint is gonna provide me basically everything I'll need?
Linux Mint don't require knoving nothing for using. It can be installed for somebody's grandmother and she will use it. Is it bad feature? But if you wish develop for Mint, so yes, strong knowing is required.
Also, can I "learn Linux" by using only Mint?
No such things as Linux. Linux is kernel, not OS. Correct words is "learn Red Hat", "learn Debian", "learn SUSE". Of course, basic command line is a same.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

My brother-in-law who is in IT told me that I should learn CentOS. There is a demand for people with Linux knowledge in the IT world.

Magil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magil »

BigEasy wrote:No such things as Linux. Linux is kernel, not OS. Correct words is "learn Red Hat", "learn Debian", "learn SUSE". Of course, basic command line is a same.
I know. I was thinking about distros in general. Not all at once, but things that are common for different one.
There's nothing wrong when distro is easy, but easy things often lack functionality for more experienced users.

z31fanatic, thanks for info.

Guess I should stick with Mint as primary and learn other distro (CentOS for example) as secondary, or in VM.

Thanks everyone! I needed something like that to made up my mind. I knew I'll find help here :D Great community, indeed.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Don't know why anyone would struggle with this. First of all, all these distros are free to install. You can multi-boot 3 - 4 distros in one computer. No one is stopping you from doing so. I multi-booted 3 along with Windows 7 months ago, and they get along perfectly well. But I decided to just leave Cinnamon (with Kicker menu) and discard the rest. I didn't have time to learn every detail about Linux, and frankly, I didn't care. It's a waste of time, for me, at least. All I have is a text file saved multiple times listing all the steps to install Cinnamon from scatch, the accompanying drivers, solution to issues, etc... To me OSes should feel invisible. They're not supposed to take center stage. I don't ask what OS is in my cell phone, I ask what apps are in it. To each his own.

Again, there's no reason why you can't add another distro in your computer.

Magil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magil »

I just wanted to have one. People here helped me with my weird problem. I felt I should know a lot about my OS and should care about it, because I'm stressed with my studies.
I had about 4 or more distros installed on my pc. One for writing, one for dunnowhat, one for multimedia, one as all-in-one, one cuz it's good-looking :lol:
Maybe I have too much free time and that's why I was trying to find a problem where there wasn't any. Nevermind, thread can be closed. Thanks again.

EDIT. By "have one" I mean have one Linux distro. I have dualboot with Windows, just in case :mrgreen:

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

You mentioned a "more challenging task." I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but with Mint you can do just about anything you can with most other Linux-based distros. It's very robustly constructed.
If you want to really learn Linux, you can try one of the bare-bones distros such as Linux-from-scratch, Gentoo, or a little less bare-metal one like Arch or Slackware. Just make sure you study the manuals in detail!! Those distros will teach you the layout, construction, etc, of Linux and allow you to build and manipulate your distro from the ground up. You'll also understand Mint a lot better after you've used those for a while.
Linux is extremely flexible, free, and open, so don't hesitate to try all the things you want to (and have time for! :) ) Good luck. You made a great decision in choosing Mint!

Magil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magil »

I've installed Arch yesterday, but it has issues with my pc and it's working pretty slow. Maybe I'll try again someday, maybe with other computer, maybe with much more patience. Maybe there's way to make it work flawlessy, maybe :D I don't mind now. I'll stick with Mint and someday maybe, I'll move to "power-user" distro. I hope Mint experience will somehow help me with doing it. I'll wait for studies and see what I need to know, then I'm just gonna learn it :D

Thanks, linux-dummie.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Linux is Linux, any distro can be as advanced or as simple as you want it to be. Think about it, they all do the same things. Are you more advanced for spending hours getting something to work? In my opinion the advanced user knows what works and quickly accomplishes things.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”