Does Mint Need a Face-Lift?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Does Mint Need a Face-Lift?

Post by thom_A »

Well, I played with the background and painstakingly stencilled the logo using Gimp, picked images that shipped with Mint, and did some blending combinations. I was trying to come up with adding blue and red tint leaving the predominant green, which is presumably Mint's official color. It's just an experiment, but I certainly prefer it over the default gray, which I instinctively change as soon as it pops up when installing.
Attachments
desktop_010.png
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

I never seen no distro (except windows 2000 :D ) whose default appearance I liked and never changed.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

I think the default theme represents what Mint is about: a no-nonsense distro that focuses on functionality and "getting things done" and doesn't try to chase after every new feature/"cool thing" in the open source world. While I wouldn't mind it being changed, it still think it needs to keep the gray/green theme, since that is now Mint's colors.

The problem is, there is no "perfect" default UI that will suit everybody. This is Linux. There are tons of themes out there, so if the default interface doesn't suit somebody, extra themes are just a click away.

mrdachshund86
Nut_Job
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nut_Job »

The green is horrifically ugly. It's not that bad at first, as a novelty, but after a few weeks of looking at it, it get's REALLY old. And while I was successful in getting LM to look more like windows, it took time and I can't remember how I did it so I don't feel like I actually learned anything, nor do I feel like I'm better off now than when I started.

So it goes beyond the basic current color scheme, it's the method(s) of altering it's appearance that is the issue. The malware hard-wired into Windows 10 presents a unique opportunity to capture disgruntled MS users like myself, but if they can't intuitively teach themselves even the basics of customizing and personalizing the appearance of their O/S, they their chances of using it long-term diminish. That, and gaming. The welcome screen should focus on those two things and it should be organized and compartmentalized so that the new user can easily figure out how to do things for themselves, instead of joining 5 different linux-oriented forums, like I have done.

And another thing. This whole "terminal" thing seems way overblown and unnecessary. I see so many posts where someone that knows linux gives a few lines of what looks like code, or commands and then the person that doesn't know linux pastes them into a terminal window and then something starts working.

I don't know much, but I do know that all those "windows" in Windows are just pictures that are linked to commands, scripts, etc... and I don't understand why, instead of tappy-tappy "sudo frink -a filepathname execute garkfollomeu" why there couldn't be a shiny picture-a-mah-bob that gets download to the "person that doesn't know linux 's computer and once there, they simply double-click it and the script behind the shiny picture-a-mah-bob does the tappy-tappy "sudo frink -a ..." for them.

The copy/paste thing seems like it should have been declared obsolete in 2004, and replaced with geegaws or something.

Another thing I wonder about is why it seems like Linux is "cruder" in resolution (vs. "fine" resolution in windows). It seems the cursor is fatter, borders are wider and in general it just doesn't have the high-res "sharpness" of Windows. It's that a graphics driver situation, or what?

So, I don't know about "facelift" so much as providing the new linux user with the means by which to make it personalized. Things just seem to be real clunky and for no particular reason.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Nut_Job wrote:Another thing I wonder about is why it seems like Linux is "cruder" in resolution (vs. "fine" resolution in windows). It seems the cursor is fatter, borders are wider and in general it just doesn't have the high-res "sharpness" of Windows. It's that a graphics driver situation, or what?
Definitely a display driver thing. Most old model monitors usually come out fine after installation. Issues only come up with new models. Even then (on old ones) you still need to launch the Settings > Driver Manager and pick the recommended driver, then reboot.

My suggestion is attend to one issue at a time and search the net for solutions. Once it's solved, write down the solution or put it on a text file and save it to an external drive or something. Then go on to the next problem, add or append the solution you found to the text file you saved, and so on... There'll be lots of times where you'll have to reinstall again and again and again. It's good to have something like the text file for solutions and references.

Also, most people have old computers (dual cores, 2gb ram) that they can comfortably experiment with without losing anything of value.
Alpha Bootis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alpha Bootis »

I'm personally not too interested in a flashy UI as practicality is where it is at for me, however I don't mind it either as long as they don't do any of that tablet based silliness like they did with Ubuntu and Windows 8.1.
I don't think Linux systems should loose their identity though, any design change to me should not lose its general Linux / Gnome / Cinnamon feel.
Take for example Elementary OS's interface which looks quite pretty. It is however extremely obvious the designers behind it went to the same classes as Apple's UI team...
There's obviously a market for it but to me that is a bit too much, slightly pretentious maybe even.
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Looks fine to me. Mint is just a tool.
I have been a mechanic for many yeas. Never needed fancy looking tools.

I have a real life outside of being a mechanic or using Mint. Don't need eye candy either.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

z31fanatic wrote:No doubt that the default desktop in Mint is amateurish looking. Same with the logo. It looks like it was designed by someone who had never used a 3D CAD program before.
I too think that the default desktop and that logo need a major facelift to better appeal to curious and first time users.
I do not agree.
---
Mint can look better as every thing can (including Windows or OS X), but saying it is amateurish looking is too much. Far from that... They did a great job and cared about the minimal details.

It looks good, very good. Keep up the great work, Linux Mint Team!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

z31fanatic wrote:No doubt that the default desktop in Mint is amateurish looking. Same with the logo. It looks like it was designed by someone who had never used a 3D CAD program before.
I too think that the default desktop and that logo need a major facelift to better appeal to curious and first time users.
You do realize it's open source right? If you can do something nicer, feel free to contribute. As someone who spent a lot of hours of my free time working on Mint's themes, I find these types of comments more than a little inconsiderate. The default theme is never going to be appeal to all users. For default, in most cases a little generic is probably best. Could it be improved? I'm sure it could. I would at least like to see it modernized a bit.

For anyone who has ideas or wants to start a useful discussion, feel free to create a github account and open a new issue here: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-design

I for one would be happy to see some good design ideas.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
richmorehave
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richmorehave »

We all can have our cake and eat it too. :)

When we use the distro the VERY FIRST TIME, it has a START Screen come up. Maybe one OPTION could be 5 or 6 different desktop/wallpaper OPTIONS that people could play with to see what they like right from the start.

The OP has a point, many windows users are going to be joining us because of windows 10 spyware built into it. I know I came here to get away from all the spying MS is doing. So if as a community we welcome the windows 10 refugees to Linux Mint with nice WELCOME screen and tell them to press here to change to "windows look" or "Apple look" and a few other looks the community votes on, it might encourage more people to see they don't have to stick with Windows 10 BIG Brother OS, they can join the OPEN source LINUX community that respect your privacy.
Switched to Linux Mint to get away from windows 10 spying.
Until MS states that they will not scan,disclose and save any personal files, folders, on my PC, I will not trust them. I would need 3rd party verification.
reddot

Post by reddot »

theming exist for a reason. i have never used a stock theme, regardless of OS. i theme the living hell out of winXP. i dont like the stock look of most linux distro out there, except manjaro mate. its up to the OP to change it to the way they see fit. i delete all mint wallpapers :( and lots of themes, i love mint x (green) in mate, have not switched for a long time.
i dont think im ever leaving mate, i tried a few other DE like cinnamon, gnome3 shell, unity, kde, lxde, xfce, openbox. gnome2 and mate are the best!!!
it all has to do with taste.

here is my desktop, linux mint 17.2 mate.

to many workspaces, hardware monitors, menu bar, limited space for window list, crap load of apps on the top panel.
i dont think the mint populous would like my desktop. i dont care. i dont like docky and conky, there i said it. i like to see my hardware and system monitors at all times unobstructed.

check out the desktop screenshots of other mint users
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&t=186156
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&t=199542
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

DeMus wrote:This is Mint.
When you don't like that look then change it, but let Mint stay Mint.
+1 and post-install: It's "yours" do what you want. :)
Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

JosephM wrote:
You do realize it's open source right? If you can do something nicer, feel free to contribute. As someone who spent a lot of hours of my free time working on Mint's themes, I find these types of comments more than a little inconsiderate. The default theme is never going to be appeal to all users. For default, in most cases a little generic is probably best. Could it be improved? I'm sure it could. I would at least like to see it modernized a bit.

For anyone who has ideas or wants to start a useful discussion, feel free to create a github account and open a new issue here: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-design

I for one would be happy to see some good design ideas.
+1
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tend to agree. In the past a lot of people submitted artwork and themes. I think when Clem sees something that looks great he tries to include it. Also, Clem did add different color icons not too long ago to make customizing easier. The selection of MDM themes has grown too. There is a decent amount of customization available by default. I think in time there will be a refresh when the right elements come along.
nostromo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nostromo »

MintBean wrote:What say you?
I Love the clean look of Mint,whether its Cinnamon,Mate,Xfce....(sorry,I cant get into KDE).
But above all of that is the Stability of Mint that keeps me here.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

richmorehave wrote:When we use the distro the VERY FIRST TIME, it has a START Screen come up. Maybe one OPTION could be 5 or 6 different desktop/wallpaper OPTIONS that people could play with to see what they like right from the start.
This is already possible today - but no one knows it (OK, a few do know), because it is - to my knowledge - not documented:
If you select in the live system a different wallpaper before installing Mint, this wallpaper will get automatically get applied for the first user account in the installed system. But as nobody knows that and as changing the wallpaper in the live system seems to be a waste of time, nobody does it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”