Getting programs to menu after download.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
gary428509
Level 1
Level 1

Getting programs to menu after download.

Post by gary428509 »

I've installed/downloaded many programs from synaptic that never make it to the menu. Where do they go? How can I get them to the menu? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. Gary428509.

gary428509
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Getting programs to menu after download.

Post by gary428509 »

I've installed/downloaded many programs from synaptic that never make it to the menu. Where do they go? How can I get them to the menu? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. Gary428509.

Cobber
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cobber »

I often found that when I first started too. I'm using KDE, but the procedure I use should be similar for other versions.

In Synaptic, right-click on the package and select Properties and go to Installed Files. You will see the executable file path such as /usr/bin/xxxxxxxx

You will also see where all the different sized icons are that you can use for the menu.

Then simply right-click on the taskbar Menu Start icon and select Edit Applications. You can then add your new application as a new item wherever you see fit, choose an icon and even create a shortcut key combination if you want.
PC: Dual HDD: Mint 18.2 64-Bit KDE / Windows7 Professional
HP Dv7 Laptop Dual HDD: MX Linux / Windows 7 Home
Lenovo x230 Laptop Dual boot: Mint 18.1 64-Bit KDE / Windows7 Professional

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Only GUI applications will show up in the menu. Command line programs won't.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”