Hell of Gates Circumnavigated With LMDE2 Cinnamon

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Blootvoet
Level 1
Level 1

Hell of Gates Circumnavigated With LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by Blootvoet » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Meet Dipstick :D https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2gtY ... CF1635.JPG

A friend called me to help her with an Acer Aspire 47307 which has a Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz and 2GB DDR. It s Vista was infected with 297,292 viruses and Malwarebytes removed 527 malwares and another malware programme removed 720-ish. Then Avira itself became infected and I used Bitdefender 60 Second Scanner and AVG to remove the remainder. I then rebooted a few times to test and all was fine, after both hot and cold boots.

An hour later, Vista just became corrupt and did not allow a full boot to occur. I have now installed LMDE2 Cinnamon (Linux Mint Debian) 64-bit and the old Acer runs faster than it ever could.

My own machine is an old 2007 Acer eMachines E625 with AMD AthlonX64 and also just 2GB DDR, running Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon with aplomb. No need to discard older hardware; Linux-based operating systems bring new life to them and we even have a MacbookPro from 2012 with i5 2.5GHz and 4GB DDR that flies at the speed of light compared to its Mac OS X Yosemite. Linux is just so much better than anything else I had ever used. I have been in IT for 33 years now and have "evangelised unrepentant PC's until they were saved by Linux" for years now.

Yes, a Chromebook conversion will save it from the Hell of Gates but not all can use a mostly online OS all of the time and that is where standalone Linux Mint is the best option for those wanting a Windows-alike experience as it is the most stable and reliable around, albeit a bit boring to geeks.
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: needless use of color removed; see the forum rules

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Hell of Gates Circumnavigated With LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by RacerBG » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:09 am

Hi there,

Another Acer Aspire user (5738Z). This laptop is from 2009 and yet with LM 17.2 Cinnamon it's just flying! Of course I won't mind a more CPU friendly optimisations but they are on the way so... :)
Proud of Linux Mint!

Blootvoet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hell of Gates Circumnavigated With LMDE2 Cinnamon

Post by Blootvoet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:03 am

RacerBG wrote:Hi there,

Another Acer Aspire user (5738Z). This laptop is from 2009 and yet with LM 17.2 Cinnamon it's just flying! Of course I won't mind a more CPU friendly optimisations but they are on the way so... :)
Excellent! I brought LM to Acers, Dells, Macbooks, just love doing it and see the spectacular results. :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”