This is when you realize how far Linux has come...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: This is when you realize how far Linux has come...

Post by phd21 »

Hi Quexos,

Here is some more music and audio information. I also forgot to mention the "muse" application.

FYI-1: If you look for "VST", DSSI, guitar, bass, drum, organ, amplifier, etc... in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), you might be surprised at what you find in there. If you use the package manger, then you can, and should check for recommended and suggested packages and maybe install those as well; i usually install the recommended.

dssi-vst = allows your Linux audio software to use "VST & VSTi" audio effects and instrument plug-ins compiled for Ms Windows as LADSPA or DSSI plugin hosts.

install "multimedia-midi", "multimedia-musiciantools", "multimedia-mixing", "multimedia-recording", 'multimedia-looping", "multimedia-timestretching", "multimedia-samplers".

Drums: install "multimedia-drums"
Hydrogen - Advanced Drum Machine

Guitar: install "multimedia-guitar"
rakkarack

Piano:
Vmpk - virtual midi piano keyboard
monobristol - for synthesiszers, electric pianos, organs

FYI-2: linux VST guitar, bass, drum, amplifier sims, that work in Linux Programs
https://www.google.com/search?q=VST+(gu ... ifier+sims

Hope this helps ...
MultiMedia.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

And I know it's not a popular opinion here but I agree with you. Linux is fine for home use but if you are a power user or a business that makes a living off of good productivity software, Linux is not for you (except servers of course).
While I'm a fan of linux in general and Mint in particular, I also believe you should use whatever gets the job done. But this statement just isn't true. It depends a lot on the industry you are in. There is a decent bit of high end commercial software available for linux. In industries such as movie and 3d fx, linux is heavily used. Apps like Maya, Houdini, and Nuke are all available.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

It's good enough to use as your daily OS. It's still not good enough to completely replace Windows for anyone other than the most casual of PC users (and maybe programmers). For everyone else, we still live in a dual boot world. Sadly, the people Linux would work best for (casual users) would not even know it existed, let alone how to install it on their own.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

I've been happy enough as a Linux gamer for the last 18 months. If you include emulators and Indie, Linux has plenty of options as long as you don't expect the latest and greatest.

I don't find post-XP Windows good for anything. Whenever I want to try and do something (even if it's as simple as copying a file over from an external hard drive/usb stick), I have to contend with a wall of nonsense. I find it completely unintuitive and a waste of my time.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Neophyte wrote:It's good enough to use as your daily OS. It's still not good enough to completely replace Windows for anyone other than the most casual of PC users (and maybe programmers). For everyone else, we still live in a dual boot world. Sadly, the people Linux would work best for (casual users) would not even know it existed, let alone how to install it on their own.
That's funny. I could have sworn I was using Linux for daily work, video editing, image manipulation, audio manipulation, multi-media presentations in class, student progress reports, watching movies, all on a daily basis. Most people would describe me as an intensive user and not a casual user. Unless, of course, one redefines the word 'casual.'

I will grant that in some very niche areas Windows still carries it but with increasing lack of legacy support, Microsoft is actually preventing people running their old time bespoke software and that's going to change the game!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

Jedinovice wrote:
Neophyte wrote:It's good enough to use as your daily OS. It's still not good enough to completely replace Windows for anyone other than the most casual of PC users (and maybe programmers). For everyone else, we still live in a dual boot world. Sadly, the people Linux would work best for (casual users) would not even know it existed, let alone how to install it on their own.
That's funny. I could have sworn I was using Linux for daily work, video editing, image manipulation, audio manipulation, multi-media presentations in class, student progress reports, watching movies, all on a daily basis. Most people would describe me as an intensive user and not a casual user. Unless, of course, one redefines the word 'casual.'

I will grant that in some very niche areas Windows still carries it but with increasing lack of legacy support, Microsoft is actually preventing people running their old time bespoke software and that's going to change the game!
I have seen your AMVs. Yeah, I would call you a casual user. Yes, casual users do things like watch movies on their PC. :roll:

Linux just lacks support for the specialized hardware, software, and games that less casual users have a need for. For example, I have to log in to windows to work with certain professional programs built in Silverlight.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Neophyte wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:

I have seen your AMVs. Yeah, I would call you a casual user. Yes, casual users do things like watch movies on their PC. :roll:

Linux just lacks support for the specialized hardware, software, and games that less casual users have a need for. For example, I have to log in to windows to work with certain professional programs built in Silverlight.
I'm not even going there.
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
dan0

Post by dan0 »

Neophyte wrote: I have to log in to windows to work with certain professional programs built in Silverlight.
you mean the obsolete program "silverlight"?
from wikipedia
Microsoft announced the end of life of Silverlight 5 in 2012. In 2013, Microsoft announced that they had ceased development of Silverlight except for patches and bugfixes. Silverlight is no longer supported in Chrome on OS X, while support for Silverlight in Chrome on all other operating systems was disabled by default in April 2015 and was removed completely in September 2015
end quote
from mickey soft
/https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/201 ... ium-media/
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

dan0 wrote:
Neophyte wrote: I have to log in to windows to work with certain professional programs built in Silverlight.
from wikipedia
Microsoft announced the end of life of Silverlight 5 in 2012. In 2013, Microsoft announced that they had ceased development of Silverlight except for patches and bugfixes. Silverlight is no longer supported in Chrome on OS X, while support for Silverlight in Chrome on all other operating systems was disabled by default in April 2015 and was removed completely in September 2015
end quote
from mickey soft
Don't go there! Please, for all that is good, noble and pure, just let Neophyte win! This guy can marathon argue for his country!

Just let the 'professional' user win and all us 'casual' uses can get on with being, er, causal. Anything else, and I swear, this thread will run to 100+ posts with Neophyte spinning out every single exception to normal, day to day operation in Linux going to show that Windows is superior. Let the pro have the final word. It's less painful that way!
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

Jedinovice wrote:
dan0 wrote:
from wikipedia
end quote
from mickey soft
Don't go there! Please, for all that is good, noble and pure, just let Neophyte win! This guy can marathon argue for his country!

Just let the 'professional' user win and all us 'casual' uses can get on with being, er, causal. Anything else, and I swear, this thread will run to 100+ posts with Neophyte spinning out every single exception to normal, day to day operation in Linux going to show that Windows is superior. Let the pro have the final word. It's less painful that way!
As soon as I saw his posts, and then yours, I outwardly groaned...thinking "NOOOOO, not again".
But I do agree, you and I are what I would call "intensive" users...not casual. Casual is my dad, my mom, my co-workers....you and I seem to do a LOT more than what I would class as a casual user.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

duneelliot wrote: As soon as I saw his posts, and then yours, I outwardly groaned...thinking "NOOOOO, not again".
But I do agree, you and I are what I would call "intensive" users...not casual. Casual is my dad, my mom, my co-workers....you and I seem to do a LOT more than what I would class as a casual user.
Don't worry, I'm not going any further. I don't have the strength.
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

Jedinovice wrote:
duneelliot wrote: As soon as I saw his posts, and then yours, I outwardly groaned...thinking "NOOOOO, not again".
Don't worry, I'm not going any further. I don't have the strength.
I didn't figure you would be :lol:

But going back to the OP, I agree that my move to Linux was pretty darn painless and has even come a long way in the last 2 years alone.
I still have a dual boot with Win7 and a VM for Vista but rarely use them. I like my Mint and it just makes things easy.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Jedinovice wrote: That's funny. I could have sworn I was using Linux for daily work, video editing, image manipulation, audio manipulation, multi-media presentations in class, student progress reports, watching movies, all on a daily basis. Most people would describe me as an intensive user and not a casual user. Unless, of course, one redefines the word 'casual.'
Don't take offense. I have seen a couple of your videos that you have posted. I would not call those professional. You are a hobbyist like most of us here. :mrgreen:

If you work in real life business environment, you will be laughed at if you suggest the Linux alternatives to the major professional software used in Windows and Mac OS X.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

z31fanatic wrote:
Jedinovice wrote: That's funny. I could have sworn I was using Linux for daily work, video editing, image manipulation, audio manipulation, multi-media presentations in class, student progress reports, watching movies, all on a daily basis. Most people would describe me as an intensive user and not a casual user. Unless, of course, one redefines the word 'casual.'
Don't take offense. I have seen a couple of your videos that you have posted. I would not call those professional. You are a hobbyist like most of us here. :mrgreen:

If you work in real life business environment, you will be laughed at if you suggest the Linux alternatives to the major professional software used in Windows and Mac OS X.
Absolutely. I bow to to the innate superiority of Windows and Mac.
I will return to my amateur enjoyment and continue with my casual use on my 'poor man's operating system.'
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

You are taking it personal. We are simply stating that alternatives in the Linux world are not there yet for the majority of the businesses.

I do applaud AutoDesk for making some of its software available in Linux. Hopefully more companies will do the same in the future.
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

z31fanatic wrote:You are taking it personal. We are simply stating that alternatives in the Linux world are not there yet for the majority of the businesses.

I do applaud AutoDesk for making some of its software available in Linux. Hopefully more companies will do the same in the future.
Please, please, please don't let it start up again...we already hashed this out 10x over in Jedi's other threads
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

phd21 wrote:Hi Quexos,

Here is some more music and audio information.
Excellent stuff. Thanks again. I will definitely look into it again soon. I can't now because I just got a GTX 950 and there is no Mint driver yet to my knowledge, software mode only (PCLinuxOS won't even boot with it, just halts on a black screen).

I can live without Windows gaming since, in my opinion, most games released since about 2008 are pure crap anyway, I hardly play them these days. So if I can get my music/video stuff working, I may be able to dump Windows and never look back.
Last edited by Quexos on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

dan0 wrote:
from wikipedia
end quote
from mickey soft
Yes, I do. The only browsers that still support it are internet explorer or safari. Meaning that every time I need to use that program, I have to boot windows.
z31fanatic wrote:
Don't take offense. I have seen a couple of your videos that you have posted. I would not call those professional. You are a hobbyist
This. My post wasn't meant to be an insult. It was meant to point out that you are not do professional-tier video editing.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Neophyte wrote: Yes, I do. The only browsers that still support it are internet explorer or safari. Meaning that every time I need to use that program, I have to boot windows.
Firefox supports Silverlight in Windows (haven't tried in Linux).
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

z31fanatic wrote:
Neophyte wrote: Yes, I do. The only browsers that still support it are internet explorer or safari. Meaning that every time I need to use that program, I have to boot windows.
Firefox supports Silverlight in Windows (haven't tried in Linux).
It partially supports it. Same with chrome. However, the simulators only work in the newer versions of IE and Safari.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”