Why LM 17.1, 2, and now 3???

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Why LM 17.1, 2, and now 3???

Post by sadhu » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:50 am

I was originally attracted to LinuxMint because of its simplicity and stability. (My laptop, an HP Pavillion 15 designed for sale in Asia, came without an OS and was therefore much cheaper. But it won't even boot LM 17, 17.1, or .2 64-bit from installation media because Mint couldn't recognize the built-in ATI Radion graphics card. And even after I install in rendering mode, the installation hung for 17.1 and 2, 64-bit. But I digress.)

Then when 17.1 came out, it broke several key applications on my desktop, which is running LM 17 64bit -- most notably, the ability to connect to the internet! 17.1 64-bit on the desktop wouldn't recognize my Huawei 3G dongle; I had to install some manual modem appklication which required manually entering passwor and several clicks, in order to connect.

The idea of a "Long Term Support" edition of an operating system is very nice. But for me these new updates 17.1, .2, .3 behave like line new releases, breaking things. Why aren't they labeled and treated as such? What's the point of having a "LTS" version if one keeps issuing new software versions instead of handilng it through updates? Is LinuxMint going to support all of these new flavours of Mint 17 all the way to 2019?

LM 16 Petra was released some time ago, and now it has disappeared. So how long will mint 16 be supported? Seems to me it ought to be supported all the way up to 2019, too, given the current release strategy.

-Be well

-Sadhu
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 3.6.7, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Why LM 17.1, 2, and now 3???

Post by xenopeek » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:18 am

Linux Mint 16 is obsolete and unsupported since July 2014. Unsupported means you don't get updates for it (so security issues discovered since then go unfixed) and you can't install new software on it from the repositories (as those are shut down). It's unsafe to use for anything serious on the Internet.

With each .x release of Linux Mint 17 it's been stressed that you should upgrade for a reason: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2871. Not "just because." All Linux Mint 17 releases are supported till April 2019.

Each .x releases uses a newer kernel for enablement of newer hardware (as hardware drivers are part of the kernel). Changes can also bring new bugs or regressions. Using badly supported hardware (no support from manufacturer on Linux) like the example you give is one reason to stick with the Linux Mint 17 release that works for you. Instead of blindly upgrading your system I would always recommend testing hardware compatibility from the Live ISO. But as you have a workaround that's a moot point.

As for the laptop you used; if you tried Cinnamon I'd suggest trying MATE instead. Cinnamon (and KDE) is more demanding and requires a working graphics card driver with all features supported. That can be a mixed bag with AMD especially. Hence suggesting MATE. You may also try the tips here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=122257

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:05 am

sadhu wrote:So how long will mint 16 be supported? Seems to me it ought to be supported all the way up to 2019, too, given the current release strategy.
The current release strategy is to release only long term support versions, and I think that's a good way to do it. The release strategy was different when Mint 16 was released.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:18 am

hey all,

i thought that when an upgrade was performed from version to version that the original kernel remained unchanged unless it was manually changed by the user.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:46 am

This is still true, provided that you use the update manager for upgrading - when the ugrade option gets offered.

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:59 pm

Cosmo. wrote:This is still true, provided that you use the update manager for upgrading - when the ugrade option gets offered.
The 17.3 update was offered today for previous mint 17.x installations. FWIW, I've updated both my desktop and laptop machines. Both updates went smoothly.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”