Mint 17.3 sparkles...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintBean

Mint 17.3 sparkles...

Post by MintBean »

...according to this review. Mint's getting A+ reviews release after release. Deservedly so, IMO.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/82889.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 17.3 sparkles...

Post by Pepi »

Wonder what makes it better than Mint 17.2 :?: I'm am so happy with 17.2 KDE :wink:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, you might want to read the article if you want to find out.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I've read the problem so I say ... No thanks :mrgreen:
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

What problem? You're not making much sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You have read what and where? About 17.3 KDE? Impossible.

Having that said: In every blog about a new release you can read: Update for a reason. This means, if you want to stay with the current version, there is nothing to say against that. But that is something quite different to write about mystery readings.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Cosmo. wrote:You have read what and where? About 17.3 KDE? Impossible.

Having that said: In every blog about a new release you can read: Update for a reason. This means, if you want to stay with the current version, there is nothing to say against that. But that is something quite different to write about mystery readings.
I didn't say 17.3 KDE :?: I said I really like 17.2 KDE. I know that KDE is not available for 17.3. And the problems I'm seeing with 17.3 is posted on this forum. Not a lot but enough to make me stay with a OS upgrade that hasn't caused me a single lick of problems with three different computers. 8)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Pepi wrote:the problems I'm seeing with 17.3 is posted on this forum. Not a lot but enough to make me stay with a OS upgrade that hasn't caused me a single lick of problems with three different computers. 8)
There will always be problems.... if not because of flaws in the operating system, then because of PEBKAC:
http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/ar ... 980506.gif

PEBKAC is probably responsible for most upgrade problems you see on this forum. Directly or indirectly (ill constructed "Frankenstein" systems with software from God knows where, that are being upgraded from 17.2 to 17.3).

.... so I wouldn't pay too much attention to those problem reports on this forum. The in-place upgrade to 17.3 will probably go flawlessly on any healthy system. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

You're both right!

I remember the warning Pepi is talking about- Clem is a cautious person, and always warns us about the perils of upgrading...
it MIGHT break something, and if everything is working fine, you might not want to do it. I'm sure Clem approves of Pepi's caution.

BUT.... most computers do indeed handle the upgrade just fine. But there are always a FEW exceptions.

The thing is that it's impossible for the Linux Mint team to test Mint on every computer in the world. Some computers may have something quirky about them that a specific version of Mint doesn't do well with. And not all computers are sold everywhere in the world.

The more common or mainstream a computer is, the more likely there will be no problems with the installation. I bought a used Hewlett-Packard computer a year ago, then someone gave me a couple more. None of them have had problems with any Mint upgrade. A lot of times the people that have problems have a laptop... those seem to have more things going on that aren't mainstream... especially with a smaller manufacturer.

Of my three Hewlett Packards, I've upgraded one to Cinnamon 17.3, one to MATE 17.3, and one I'm holding back with on MATE 17.2, just in case something breaks.... and nothing has broken, so I'll probably upgrade it soon.

Also.... the things fixed by an upgrade are usually very specific. The nature of computer use, is that we each have our beaten pathway to the things we like to do.
Some of use encounter problems that may be fixed by an upgrade like the current one, and are rejoicing. Others, like me, never had a problem with 17.2, and aren't having a problem with 17.3... and upgraded just in case we get off our beaten path. But for now, I can't tell much of a difference between 17.2 and 17.3, except for quicker startup and shutdown. I don't use LibreOffice a lot, but I do use it, and am happy for version 5.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Thanks Frodo ... I've been known for having a BIG MOUTH :lol: Wasn't trying to start a 'Flame War' guys! I just don't understand the big difference between 17.2 and 17.3? Just seemed like a quick release update between the two OS versions. I'm sure I could upgrade to Cinnamon or Mate 17.3 without any issues... But I'm tickled to death with 17.2 KDE. I remember reading about the 17.3 update review and the statement "If it ain't broke don't fix it" was written in it. :mrgreen:
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Pepi wrote:Thanks Frodo ... I've been known for having a BIG MOUTH :lol: Wasn't trying to start a 'Flame War' guys! I just don't understand the big difference between 17.2 and 17.3? Just seemed like a quick release update between the two OS versions. I'm sure I could upgrade to Cinnamon or Mate 17.3 without any issues... But I'm tickled to death with 17.2 KDE. I remember reading about the 17.3 update review and the statement "If it ain't broke don't fix it" was written in it. :mrgreen:
Staying with 17.2 is just fine. :)

The only disadvantage I can think of, is that perhaps it'll become a bit more difficult to get help for some KDE-related issues on this forum, when most other KDE users will have upgraded to 17.3....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I just don't understand the big difference between 17.2 and 17.3?
Have you read the article yet? :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

M0em wrote:
I just don't understand the big difference between 17.2 and 17.3?
Have you read the article yet? :wink:

I remember reading about the 17.3 update review and the statement "If it ain't broke don't fix it" was written in it. :wink:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Pepi wrote: I remember reading about the 17.3 update review and the statement "If it ain't broke don't fix it" was written in it. :wink:
A typo most probably :mrgreen:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm not saying you should update.
You keep saying that you don't know what is different between 17.2 and 17.3. The article explains that. So if you want to know, read the article.
If you do not actually want to know, stop saying that you 'are wondering' and 'just don't understand'. The answer is one click away. :roll:

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I do understand, that a user, who does not use either Cinnamon or Mate, does not "understand the big difference". I would have probably the same result, if I would read the change log of a DE, which I do not use.

What I do not understand is, why somebody, who prefers KDE, tries to judge about the changes of different DEs. This doesn't help anybody.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Pepi wrote:Thanks Frodo ... I've been known for having a BIG MOUTH :lol: Wasn't trying to start a 'Flame War' guys! I just don't understand the big difference between 17.2 and 17.3? Just seemed like a quick release update between the two OS versions. I'm sure I could upgrade to Cinnamon or Mate 17.3 without any issues... But I'm tickled to death with 17.2 KDE. I remember reading about the 17.3 update review and the statement "If it ain't broke don't fix it" was written in it. :mrgreen:
I actually share some of Pepi's views here. My last post, if I'm not mistaken, in the Desktop forums, was about my concern on KDE's next Mint release. I've been hearing about this Plasma 5 thing and I have yet to see what's so special about it. Like Pepi, the current KDE is installed in this household on 3 different computers with no issues.

I myself started with Cinnamon and XFCE and initially disliked KDE. Stability-wise, they're all stellar, (I didn't have any interest in Mate), and I would have no problem switching back to Xfce and Cinnamon.

To me my switching to KDE is mostly about being able to customize some UI elements in elegant fashion. I found it to be more mature and advanced. I even disliked Dolphin initially and thought the folder icons were so huge and looked amateurish, then found that they can be resized. I also found that just hovering on a window without clicking anything inside it is automatically activated. Meaning, you don't have to click any item to activate it. (I'm comparing it with Windows, btw.) Little things like these...

I also understand that Cinnamon is relatively new, so I don't worry about things getting broken with new releases. I don't think it's in that state already. Features are still limited, so things can only be added or broken things fixed.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

M0em wrote:I'm not saying you should update.
You keep saying that you don't know what is different between 17.2 and 17.3. The article explains that. So if you want to know, read the article.
If you do not actually want to know, stop saying that you 'are wondering' and 'just don't understand'. The answer is one click away. :roll:

My word ... Just go away :roll:
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Actually Pepi, since you've decided to be rude, why don't you go away? You've spammed this thread with rubbish which is nothing to do with the thread topic, plus spoke a load of babble which doesn't make much sense.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”