Any Opera Buffs Here?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mdiemer

Any Opera Buffs Here?

Post by mdiemer »

I just installed Cinnamon after a disastrous adventure with Makulu Linux. I tried to install it on a drive that had Zorin 32 bit and Mint Xfce, both OSs I was going to pan anyway. (I still have Zorin 64 bit, which I love). Malulu doesn't install easily like Mint and Zorin. I ended up rendering the drive unbootable. No problem, I just installed Vista real quick, and then installed MC over that, wiping out the Vista of course - I just needed to be able to boot the drive.
So now, I am experimenting with Opera as a browser. I have discovered recently that Firefox causes my machine to shutdown. I'm using Chromium on Zorin, which works fine, no shutdowns, very stable. I want to see if Opera is also stable for me. Then I can choose between them. It seems a bit slower than Chromium, which is like white lightening.
Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone is using Opera, and what they think of it? For that matter, anyone actually try Makulu? Is Jacques a genius or a nut? If I could figure out how to actually install it, I would give it a shot, it looks very interesting. But at this point, I'm sticking with MC and Zorin, both are awesome and tested OSs. In fact it's hard to choose between them. fortunately, I don't have to, of course - it's Linux!
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Any Opera Buffs Here?

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mdiemer"

I just read your post. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Firefox should not be crashing your system, to shut down, obviously something is not right there. Firefox is a great browser, but it cannot hurt to have more than one good browser installed like Google's Chrome, and or Opera. Opera is a great lightweight browser.

It would help if you ran the console terminal commands "inxi -Fxz", highlight the results and copy & paste them back here. "Inxi -Fxz" gives us information on your system.

Perhaps you can un-install Firefox, and re-install it. You can also try restarting Firefox without any add-ons, see help menu, to make sure that an add-on, or plugin is not the cause.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

always preferred the older version of Opera, rather than the current version of Opera.
- in the World of Linux, that is. ..

& now, it's probably been replaced by PaleMoon, - since it stopped supporting the Linux system, for a time.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mdiemer

Post by mdiemer »

Thank you phd21, but I've already beat this to death in another thread. I agree, it's probably an add on or something. Someone suggested accelerators. Anyway, I am fine exploring other browsers. I get bored easily. To me, it's more fun to just try another browser than figure out why Firefox crashes my system. but, if you're dying to solve this puzzle, here you go:

michael@michael-GT5656 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: michael-GT5656 Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: System: Gateway product: GT5656
Mobo: ELITE model: MCP61PM-AM version: 1.0A Bios: Phoenix version: 6.00 PG date: 11/16/2007
CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 4017.92
Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] bus-ID: 02:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce 8400GS/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.96 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:05.0
Card-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 02:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network: Card: Marvell 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: 9c00 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST500DM002 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 453G used: 6.0G (2%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.44GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:38C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 265 Uptime: 8:11 Memory: 703.4/5968.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I loved what I call "the Phantom of the Opera"--the old Opera--as my backup browser. I really dislike the newer one.
However, I read that the Phantom (I don't recall what version--it's the one in the Mint repos. Pierre--a little help here? :)) was unsuported, so I sadly moved to Chrome as a backup.

Now as for Jacques...
Never tried Makalu, but if Jacques is a genius I suspect he has a bit of nuttiness too. :) Most geniuses were/are like that, anyway.
As for me, I got all of the nut and none of the genius. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

@Fred - the one in my PCs 17x repo is version 12.16 - which is the older version,
& which seems to be the one that everyone liked.

- if you goto the Opera web site & download from there, then you will get version 30x
which is now based on the Chromium Rendering engine.

all of my older versions of LinuxMint, always Opera installed, as standard,
whereas none of my later PCs get Opera installed, anymore, as I've not liked the new version.
& it's more likely to get PaleMoon installed, as a alternative to Firefox.
NO - not Chrome - never.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

I have never used Opera (as it is not free) but if you like it, you should maybe look at Vivaldi. It is made by the former Opera team. https://vivaldi.com/
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
mdiemer

Post by mdiemer »

killer de bug wrote:I have never used Opera (as it is not free) but if you like it, you should maybe look at Vivaldi. It is made by the former Opera team. https://vivaldi.com/
In what way is Opera not free? I downloaded it for free and am using it even as I type.
Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

mdiemer wrote:
killer de bug wrote:I have never used Opera (as it is not free) but if you like it, you should maybe look at Vivaldi. It is made by the former Opera team. https://vivaldi.com/
In what way is Opera not free? I downloaded it for free and am using it even as I type.
In the GNU and open source world "free" does not mean "no cost". I'm guessing the previous post means Opera isn't free in those terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

mdiemer wrote: In what way is Opera not free? I downloaded it for free and am using it even as I type.
:shock:

On a GNU/Linux forum. I hope RMS is not reading this. He might have an heart attack otherwise :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I still use Opera now and then. It was great up to version 12, but now it's pretty much like every other browser. And many of the things I liked about the old Opera aren't in the newer versions. I have tried Vivaldi, but it's still a work in progress.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tar_Ni »

jimallyn wrote:I still use Opera now and then. It was great up to version 12, but now it's pretty much like every other browser. And many of the things I liked about the old Opera aren't in the newer versions. I have tried Vivaldi, but it's still a work in progress.
Opera is Chromium with a different UI. I am not sure about Opera Software on Linux, the compagny doesn't seem very commited to Ubuntu/Mint. For exemple, we've had to wait for years before seeing a new 32 bit release (still on development). They claim not enough users and could pull it at any time..

So on Linux to me it's Firefox. As a second violin I would look at Chromium/Chrome instead.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”