What is considered a "modern processor" to run LM today?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
glitchathon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: What is considered a "modern processor" to run LM today?

Post by glitchathon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Mr_Reed wrote:
z31fanatic wrote:My opinion is that any processor older than 2008 is not worth messing with if you want to use your computer every day for a lot of different things.
If this is true, then I don't really have anything that will run LM xfce? Would I even be able to run antiX, Lubuntu or Puppy?
Oh you would run those fine. I have tried them all and honestly, I would not use Puppy... I think the Debian based lightweight distros are much easier to get the support you need. I say give Mint Xfce a try, and also Solydx. It is too bad Crunchbang is no longer supported because that worked awesome on an old 2006 machine I set up last year and it is comparable to Antix in terms of lightweightedness.

I did not like AntiX much and ever since Crunchbang ended, I switched my old box to a manual Debian install with no DE and then I installed X and alsa and Openbox and had a super lean (even lower resources than Crunchbang) machine that did everything I needed. It did not look pretty but it was fun to set up!

Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:14 pm

I like something moderately pretty, and most of all easy for me. I'm not at all familiar with alsa, DE or installing things on top of things. I am a beginner to Linux; that's why I'm kind of drawn to LM

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:17 pm

Most Linux distros i have tried run very well on older computers.
Several of my Linux computers are 2005 to present day computers that people throw out because OMG the are a few years old.

For the longest many years people have told me this wouldn't work on this as this is to old and i have come to find out that most of them were arm chair testers and users.
Giving advice on things they have only read about.

[Post by glitchathon]
I would not use Puppy... I think the Debian based lightweight distros are much easier to get the support you need.

I do not agree.
Puppy Linux (tahrpup6.0) is an excellent full feature Linux distro.
It has an excellent support forum with a wealth of support info available to an end-user.
It loads and runs in the ram from a frugal install and every reboot is like doing a new clean install.

[Post by Mr_Reed]
I had to keep the D in the one system though.

There isn't anything wrong with a Pentium D Processor.
Been using them for years without any complaints as they are solid runners.
So what if they aren't the newest and the greatest of the today’s set standards of what others think is necessary.
If what you are using is working for you doing what you need done then stick with a sure thing and shop around for the next buy or build.

This is only my opinion based from my own experience.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:35 pm

I was pleasantly surprised when I tried Linux Lite on an older, underpowered laptop. It's sleek looking and almost as newbie-friendly as Mint. I would recommend people with older hardware to give it a spin.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:04 pm

M0em wrote:I was pleasantly surprised when I tried Linux Lite on an older, underpowered laptop. It's sleek looking and almost as newbie-friendly as Mint. I would recommend people with older hardware to give it a spin.
LinuxLite is an excellent choice and full featured lightweight distro with Xfce desktop environment.

glitchathon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glitchathon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:13 pm

poorguy wrote: I do not agree.
It has an excellent support forum with a wealth of support info available to an end-user.
It loads and runs in the ram from a frugal install and every reboot is like doing a new clean install.
Thanks for the feedback on this. I realized I probably should not have passed on Puppy so quickly, since my last experience with it was version 4. I guess the development over the past couple versions have been pretty substantial? I might give it a try again.

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:46 pm

glitchathon wrote:
poorguy wrote: I do not agree.
Thanks for the feedback on this. I realized I probably should not have passed on Puppy so quickly, since my last experience with it was version 4. I guess the development over the past couple versions have been pretty substantial? I might give it a try again.
Yeah Puppy Linux (tahrpup6.0.5) is the latest release.

Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:38 pm

I am running Linux Mint KDE 17.3 64 bit on an "old" computer. Athlon 64 single core 2 Gigahertz with 2.45 Gigabytes available memory. Granted there are other flavors that will run quicker on this rig but I'm addicted to KDE! (mostly activities.) According to the recommendations I have the bare minimum components for this distro. But run it does, without errors. :-)

Cheers!

Jim Hauser

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:19 pm

My whole point Linux will run well on most older hardware without any problems.
KDE is resource heavy due to the desktop environment however that can be tweaked to run faster.

I am running opensuse 42.1 Leap 64bit Xfce and it runs very well.

Computer hp m7267c desktop from 2005.
Pentium D 945 3.4ghz processor.
4.0 gb ddr2 ram.
Geforce 9400 pcie graphics card.
250 gb / 7200 rpm HDD.

dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:36 pm

Mr_Reed, the Dell XPS 210 in my signature is powered by an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 GHz-- the same processor in your original question. Its vintage is 2006; it currently has 4 GB RAM and a Radeon HD 2400 video card by ATI (the previous owner was a gamer and wanted a dedicated video card). Here's what it looks like:

It runs Mint 17.3 Cinnamon quite smoothly. To be specific, it runs Mint with 10-15% less overhead than it did Windows 7, as my experience with using it as a folding machine for the Folding@Home project has shown.

Would I run Mint Cinnamon on anything less than a C2D? Probably not, but I am running a Lenovo Ideapad S10 (1.6 GHz Atom) on Mint XFCE with satisfactory results. It's a tad slow rendering large pages in Firefox (AdBlock and turning Flash off helps here), but it runs retro game emulators like Stella and GFCE at full speed, as well as OpenArena at decent framerates and graphics detail. Like karlchen has said, patience is the key with netbooks, and that's true under any OS.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Mint Cinnamon on Dell XPS 210, Optiplex 760, Inspiron N4110 and Latitude E4200;
Mint Xfce on Lenovo Ideapad S10.
Some OS X and WinXP too; I'm multi-platform like that.

Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm excited to see the responses here. I feel that all my processors will run LM now that I'm talking to you guys. Thanks! Please share more.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:01 am

dXTC wrote: I am running a Lenovo Ideapad S10 (1.6 GHz Atom) on Mint XFCE with satisfactory results.
Interestingly, before I knew what I was doing in this regard, I installed Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on my S10 and it's working fine. Doesn't feel slow, it's quite usable as long as you don't run too many programs at once. :shock:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:32 pm

karlchen wrote:Hello, Mr_Reed.

QuadCore will be better than DualCore. But DualCore does not automatically imply that you cannot run a recent Linux Mint at good speed.
This will also depend on the onboard video chip or - better - on the dedicated video card.
Testing the Linux Mint live system which you intend to install on your harddisk should give a hint whether you machine can handle it or whether it is coming too close to its technical limits.
In particular, the desktop environment which you choose will have an impact on the speed at which your system operates:
For older machines xfce and Mate will be the better choice. Cinnamon and KDE require video chips/cards that support 3D hardware acceleration.

Here is an example that even a fake QuadCore, i.e. DualCore with Hyperthreading, machine can be slow as a snail:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Cx
CPU:       Dual core Intel Atom 330 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 6399 
           clock speeds: max: 1599 MHz 1: 1599 MHz 2: 1599 MHz 3: 1599 MHz 4: 1599 MHz
Any Atom QuadCore is very likely to be much slower and less powerful than an Intel DualCore CPU.

This machine, admittedly, a QuadCore, but 8 years old, runs Cinnamon without any hassle:

$ inxi -Cx
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core2 Quad (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19138 
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 1600 MHz 3: 1600 MHz 4: 1600 MHz
And my previous office notebook, a Dell Latitude E6400, DualCore, also ran Cinnamon without any problems. (Sorry, no more inxi output available.)

In brief words:
It will be pretty difficult to setup a list of exact CPU models which would qualify as "modern enough for Linux Mint".
Try out the Linux Mint live system which you intend to install. Pay attention to the desktop environment which you choose.
If in doubt, post an "inxi -Fxz" report here.

Cheers,
Karl
What does the "bmips" mean? I got 12800 on the Pentium D

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Dell Precision 380 / 2006 year produced
Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8ghz / 800mhz fsb / 2mb L2 cache
3.0gb DDR2 ram memory
Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 / NV44 / 128mb pcie graphics card

Here is an example of an old computer with an old Pentium D processor which isn't a "modern processor" by today's standards but is more than capable of running Linux very very well.

This Desktop was pulled from a big trash pile on the side of the road and cleaned and Linux installed.
It will be donated at my Church where it will be given complete with monitor / keyboard / mouse / speakers to a family who is unable to afford to buy a computer.

My whole point is some people say older hardware is useless after a few years when actually it is very useful when using most Linux Distros.

Just my opinion based on my own experience by actually doing it.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:39 pm

poorguy wrote:Dell Precision 380 / 2006 year produced
Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8ghz / 800mhz fsb / 2mb L2 cache
3.0gb DDR2 ram memory
Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 / NV44 / 128mb pcie graphics card

Here is an example of an old computer with an old Pentium D processor which isn't a "modern processor" by today's standards but is more than capable of running Linux very very well.

This Desktop was pulled from a big trash pile on the side of the road and cleaned and Linux installed.
It will be donated at my Church where it will be given complete with monitor / keyboard / mouse / speakers to a family who is unable to afford to buy a computer.

My whole point is some people say older hardware is useless after a few years when actually it is very useful when using most Linux Distros.

Just my opinion based on my own experience by actually doing it.
Almost the same rig I ran video editing on in the old country - circa 2010-11 using Windows XP. The machine was 3.0GB and 2GB of RAM.

It ran fine! Even video editing was OK. The trouble was the stinky Windows software. Linux and Kdenlive were/are much better. But the hardware would be fine for me today... if I wasn't entirely dependent on a laptop!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:07 pm

Hey Jedinovice,

I guess I am just am just an old hardware person who likes to prove that older hardware still has a use and a place in the always changing world of computers.

Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Do you think I should try to find a dedicated video card or just use onboard graphics?

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Mr_Reed wrote:Do you think I should try to find a dedicated video card or just use onboard graphics?
It depends on what you do with your PC.

Integrated graphics adapters are ok for most web browser use and basic video streaming.
Myself I prefer a dedicated graphics card as for one thing frees up system memory second it does provide a better graphics experience.

If using an older Desktop there are a lot of excellent deals on ebay if one does a good search and looks at everything available.
Research and understand what you are buying and you should be good.

Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:23 pm

You mean research something from the same time period as my processor such as the Nvidias a couple people mentioned. Such as Geforce 9600?

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:59 pm

Mr_Reed wrote:Anybody using any integrated graphics, or any single core systems?
No single core, but several dual cores and several with integrated graphics.

Here are my 4 Mint machines, from slowest to fastest:

jlee@Carol:~ > inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Carol Kernel: 3.19.0-32-mod i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dv5000 (ET772UA#ABA) v: F.24
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 30A8 v: 56.48 Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: F.24 date: 09/07/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel T2300 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 vmx) bmips: 6649 
           clock speeds: max: 1667 MHz 1: 1000 MHz 2: 1667 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
           driver: iwl3945 v: in-tree:s bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection
           driver: e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 08:08.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (8.3% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500BEVS size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 228G used: 18G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: 26.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 179 Uptime: 19 days Memory: 462.0/2005.7MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28 

jlee@maclinux:~ > inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: maclinux Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A
Machine:   System: Apple product: MacBookPro5 5 v: 1.0
           Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F2268AC8 Bios: Apple v: MBP55.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151708 date: 06/15/09
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo P7550 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9021
           clock speeds: max: 2261 MHz 1: 1596 MHz 2: 798 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C79 [GeForce 9400M] bus-ID: 02:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card NVIDIA MCP79 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:08.0
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: 21e0 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller driver: wl bus-ID: 03:00.0
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (14.5% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 910G used: 128G (15%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 28.7C mobo: N/A
Info:      Processes: 217 Uptime: 18 days Memory: 1812.6/7707.8MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4

jlee@karen:~ > inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: karen Kernel: 4.2.0-25-llrt x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.2 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: EA50_HB v: V1.26 Bios: Insyde v: V1.26 date: 12/18/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-4210U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9577
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 2502 MHz 3: 2400 MHz 4: 2400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.2.0-25-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 5001.0GB (10.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: External_USB_3.0 size: 2000.4GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: My_Passport_0827 size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 911G used: 477G (56%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.36GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A
Info:      Processes: 238 Uptime: 2 days Memory: 1328.6/5891.4MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4

jlee@satellite:~ > inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: satellite Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite L55-C v: PSKWNU-06801R
           Mobo: FF50 model: 06F2 v: Type2 - Board Version Bios: INSYDE v: 5.10 date: 09/11/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8779
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2014 MHz 2: 2180 MHz 3: 2215 MHz 4: 2149 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 256 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 07:00.0
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 08:00.0
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (69.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 909G used: 640G (75%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.50GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A
Info:      Processes: 218 Uptime: 7 days Memory: 1538.1/7898.4MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
All perform very well. The first one requires a bigger coffee cup when compiling kernels, though. :-)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”