update manager - advice (not a question)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: update manager - advice (not a question)

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:22 pm

bmike1 wrote:But like I said, never had a problem with a apt-get upgrade in 3 years. The problem was the dist-upgrade.

You're entitled to do whatever you want with your own system. Frankly, I do things with my system that could be considered risky, but I (usually) anticipate the consequences and (usually) know what to do if I break something.

I think the objection people have is that you're giving questionable advice to others on a forum that is geared for a distribution of Linux that is meant for newbies who don't understand the risks and consequences of following said advice.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:26 pm

LinuxJim wrote:
bmike1 wrote:But like I said, never had a problem with a apt-get upgrade in 3 years. The problem was the dist-upgrade.

You're entitled to do whatever you want with your own system. Frankly, I do things with my system that could be considered risky, but I (usually) anticipate the consequences and (usually) know what to do if I break something.

I think the objection people have is that you're giving questionable advice to others on a forum that is geared for a distribution of Linux that is meant for newbies who don't understand the risks and consequences of following said advice.
Well said.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:48 pm

Let me add this: on some unimportant rigs I also install all level 4 and 5 updates, and I sometimes even execute "apt-get dist-upgrade". Not because I have to, but just for fun and out of curiosity. On those rigs, breakage doesn't matter anyway....

But not on my important production machines. Those never get *any* updates from level 4 and 5, so no "apt-get upgrade" either. Nor "apt-get dist-upgrade", of course.

I consider myself an experienced Linux user (fulltime Linux since 2006), but *no way* those important machines will be put at risk by level 4 and 5 updates. Those machines do matter, and they should stay 100 % stable and reliable, for years and years.

So it's not just a matter of experienced Linux users versus beginners. Some experienced users stay away from level 4 and 5 too, at least on some vital boxes.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:06 pm

The problem with your post / thread is, that it is titled as advice.
bmike1 wrote:I've been doing this about 4 months and no problems.
I believe you at once. How many computers with different hardware do you use? 1, 5, 10, 50, ...?
bmike1 wrote:I've known people who have been doing it for years with no problems.
I know users with a fresh install of Mint, did nothing else than what you advised and -> bang.
What do you advise them? To buy the same hardware that you have?

This bad "advice" qualifies as dis-advise.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:44 pm

on some unimportant rigs I also install all level 4 and 5 updates
+1
Even then I prefer doing them individually and watch for problems over a period of time--in case something breaks I will at least have a likely suspect.
Security updates get priority.
I see many forum posts suggesting "something happened after the last round of updates" (or something to that effect).
Most of the time nothing gets broken---but doing them in a batch mode leaves a question mark.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Linux Mint policy is to update with the Update Manager where each update is rated with a severity level. This update manager has also other features like grouping updates in order to avoid half upgraded systems. No other way of updating should be advised on this forum or on the IRC.

Of course, user are free to update their own systems with the method of their choice, but the policy is to only advise LM Upgrade Manager on this board. After all, if you break your system, you keep the pieces and we laugh at you (copyright of this joke is owned by one my favorite member of this board. He is unfortunately not really posting anymore here...)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”