Great that we are back

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Great that we are back

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:23 pm

Passwords now changed here and community. Thankfully I ONLY use unique passwords for every site. I hope whoever hacked the site and took the forum dump, spend lots of time trying my old passwords on all the other social popular sites, LOL.

Still looking for that "Last new post" button or whatever it said, cluing one in to new posts in a watched thread.

During this whole event it seems linuxmint was the only site affected, the Mirrors were still all OK I think. I didn't check them all but did check a few North American ones.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Laurent85 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 pm

clem wrote:hpbb is also version 3.1, so you'll see a few differences and some new features compared to the previous forums.
I noticed the search engine now working right, that's great :D

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:28 pm

We'll need to tune the server and the database... expect things to be rough for a few days.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:02 pm

Big thanks to the staff members who are trying to get everything up and running again.

Oow i see HTTPS now, awesome!
Donate to your favourite distros!

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:07 pm

A quick note about HTTPS: It doesn't like mixed content.

If there's anything in the page that requires HTTP content to load, then the page isn't considered trusted (and I think that results in no encryption taking place).

Where it's most important is on the login page, so that's ok.

But if you wonder why sometimes the green lock doesn't appear in the address bar, it's probably because somebody appearing on the page has an avatar pointing to an http address (it could even be somebody in your notification drop down).

So to all the veterans out there who appear everywhere on this forums, please try to point to an https link if possible.

Same thing for the signatures.

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:11 pm

It's really wonderful to have the forums back. Pwd change went okay and I'm pleased to see some familiar names/avatars here tonight. And the rest of us will be along soon.

And a great big thank you to Clem and Team!
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Turgid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Turgid » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 pm

Good to be back!
Mint 17.3, Cinnamon, Asus P9x79 LE, i7-4820, 16GB, ATI R9 285
Puppy Lucid 5 multisession, K8m890, Athlon LE-1620, 4GB, GeForce 7600GS

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 pm

A big thank you to the linux mint team for being on their toes, and to Clem who kept everyone informed.
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 /AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz) / Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
EVGA GTX 660 2Gb / Nvidia 435.21 / Element 32" 1080p
Linux Mint 19.3b MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.3.0-24 generic x86_64
Primary: PNY 120Gb SSD Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:45 pm

Great !
I only understood why the forums were down two days ago. Then knew the team had others things to do first, but felt sad for the forums.
Kudos to Clem and the team for taking prompt action, and the hard work afterwards.
First update I got today was to detect this tsunami, well done.
Good luck for all the rest of the work you have to do to prevent any future attack. And hope you can take some deserved holidays afterwards.
From my point of view, don't hesitate to postpone the release of LM 18 by several weeks / few months if needs be.
Bon courage !

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 pm

clem wrote:But if you wonder why sometimes the green lock doesn't appear in the address bar, it's probably because somebody appearing on the page has an avatar pointing to an http address (it could even be somebody in your notification drop down).

So to all the veterans out there who appear everywhere on this forums, please try to point to an https link if possible.

Same thing for the signatures.
https://imgur.com/ is a good place to get free https image hosting.

Just changed my avatar over to it.
Donate to your favourite distros!

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:22 am

We say here: What does not kill us makes us stronger.
Utter rubbish. I was killed three weeks ago and I've never felt better.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Joss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joss » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:01 am

MadmanRB wrote: its time to take security seriously now, and Clem you need to make a statement about it.
This should have never happened
Indeed.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:11 am

As a further word of warning in l the last few months i have received philshing e-mails they also tracked back to absentvodka.com. they may be great hackers but their attempts to be a major UK provider were definitely kindergarten quality
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:33 am

clem wrote:But if you wonder why sometimes the green lock doesn't appear in the address bar
Open the site information in Firefox -> security tab and you will see (at least I see), that FF tells, that no information about the site owner are provided and that no validation is given.

The information about partially not encrypted page content is on the same site at the bottom.

You get only "green" if the content would be completely encrypted and the information / validation about the site owner would be provided. In this case you only get "yellow".

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:21 am

good job
terriffic effort !

i like the new forum software
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:56 am

Great job Clem and Co! It's good to be back. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:30 pm

It's true, you don't know how much you'll miss something until it's not there.

A big thanks to the Mint team for fixing the damage caused, and in double quick time too. :D
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:33 pm

Thank you Clem and the Linux Mint support team for getting the forum back up and running!!! Great Job !!!

I like the new forum software. It is taking a little time to get used to some differences, but overall very nice, and it does seem faster. The password reset process was smart, and I thought easy to do. That website firewall from "Sucuri" looks really good, and I hope it will prevent other problems in the future. I certainly hope you catch the person(s) responsible for this, because it was extremely lame to attack and hack a free community driven website that is here to help people from everywhere around the world.

As for my Firefox security notification (the "lock"), I am seeing various ones displayed depending on what I am doing in the forum, during this post / reply, it is showing me a grey lock with a yellow triangle, at other times green lock with a yellow triangle.

Thanks again to all of the Linux Mint Team for your hard work, and the wonderful free Linux Mint Operating systems, and this excellent forum!

Glad to be back! :) Have a great day and night !

PS: I am very much looking forward to Linux Mint 18 as well.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:34 pm

I'd also like to add my heartfelt thanks for all the hard work involved, you guys have done a great job in general and sad as it is that you've had your time taken up by this when you could have been hard at your 'normal tasks' for Mint, I'm sure it will all work out good in the end. I'm surprised you've managed to get us back online so quickly, so clearly some sterling work has been going on as usual! :P

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:42 pm

phd21 wrote: I like the new forum software. It is taking a little time to get used to some differences, but overall very nice, and it does seem faster.
Oh, yes--I noticed a substantial increase in speed too. Maybe this was worth it all? :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”