Why I'm sticking with Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Why I'm sticking with Linux Mint

Post by chrisuk »

Firstly, this isn't one of those fanboy posts, you know the ones: "Linux saved my life!!!" - "I love Linus" etc. ;) But it is a post about Linux, and about Linux Mint.

I've been using Linux for years, and Linux Mint since 2008; until last year, I only used it for sensitive stuff, anything that required my date of birth to register etc. But I've not used Windows for months, as I can do all I need to with Linux Mint (I use Virtualbox for the very odd occasion when I need Windows).

After the forums and the other website was compromised, I started to think about what I'd do if Mint itself became a target. I don't mean a target of a script kiddie, but the target of determined and well organised crackers. I decided that I'd stick with Mint in the long term, but might abandon it temporarily for another Distro until the attack(s) stopped (nothing lasts forever ;) ). You might be surprised at how unsuccessful I was at finding another Distro that worked.

I tried every Distro in the top ten page hits on Distrowatch, and even a few outside the top 20... none of them worked for me. They either didn't install (rsync error 23 seemed popular on at least 2 Distros; they almost installed, but not quite) or after install I didn't find them comfortable to use. Some looked quite pretty, some even used Cinnamon, but all of them was lacking. And I didn't just install and delete, I also installed the programs I use and I tried to set it all up as I like. So the only Distro that likes my Laptop, that renders Fonts that don't hurt my eyes, that recognises my Fn keys for Brightness and Audio, etc... is Linux Mint.

So... a note to the developers of Linux Mint; please keep doing what you are doing, because without Mint, many of us would be stuck with Windows. Oh, and to all those moaning about Mint; try using Mint for a while, you might discover you actually like it.

Chris
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

afineman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Why I'm sticking with Linux Mint

Post by afineman »

Chris

I can relate to what you are saying, I've been Linux exclusive for the past 2 years (18 months on Mint Mate) and I too have tested the top 20-30 in distro watch.

The only 2 that caught my attention for more than a week was Linux Lite and Ubuntu Mate, both started out with promise but that faded fast. I found Mint Mate to be so intuitive (coming from Windows) that the little things in the other flavors caused me aggravation.

I tinker around and screw things up a lot, so I always keep a back up SSD in my disk copier that has the current system on it (if I screw something up, pull the SSD put it in the copier, 10 minutes later, back to the last fresh install).

I may be a 'FanBoy" though, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people who support Mint and I am not worried in the least about security using the flavor OS (thought, I do keep sensitive stuff on an external hard drive that is powered down when not needed).

Everything is backed up and off line so if something were to happen I'm 20 minutes away from rebuilding everything, OOHH and this was a habit I got into because of Windows not Linux (remember how long it takes to do a fresh Windows install).

Nothing is UN-hackable, everyone should accept that and plan accordingly. It doesn't mater what OS you use, if someone wants to hack it (and they have the skill) they will. The things that stood out about the recent effort to hack Mint was.

1: how fast it was caught
2: how fast it was reacted to
3: the transparency of what was being done to fix it.
4: the speed (given the staffs size) the problem was resolved (for the most part anyways).

During this hack, I did the only thing I could do (I don't have the skills needed to assist with fixing issues like this) I opened up my wallet and sent them beer money (at least I hope that is what they used it for). I know they are doing their part (more diligently today) to protect this OS and its users form hackers, so that is why I'm not concerned (nor should anyone else if you ask my opinion) about continued use of the OS.

I once referred to Mint Mate as the lazy mans OS because you, install it and forget about it (every computer I've installed this on worked right out of the box and other than clicking on the blue "i" to update no other action is needed).

Of all the Linux flavors, this may be the safest @ this moment in time because of what just happened, so to those who jumped to another flavor, you had better hope they learned from what the Mint group just went through, if not then your next.

Well I've said a little more than planned so I'll stop here.

Happy Friday ALL

AFM
Last edited by afineman on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

+ 1 Chris

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

afineman wrote:The things that stood out about the recent effort to hack Mint was.

1: how fast it was caught
2: how fast it was reacted to
3: the transparency of what was being done to fix it.
4: the speed (given the staffs size) the problem was resolved (for the most part anyways).
I agree! Good reaction from the community.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

"Why I'm sticking with Linux Mint"

...I spilt superglue on my laptop.

Sorry, just out of hospital and a bit dizzy. :mrgreen:
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

:lol:

How are you going? Same stuff as last time? :(

Definitely agree with the points above. Most of all, I think Clem's quick response and openness (in a very embarrassing situation) is the most important thing. If he'd tried to hide it or not tell the community 'till it was over, I'd have switched distros quicker than you could say "Linux Mint." :)

So... honesty pays!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

mdiemer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdiemer »

While I agree that Mint works very well, my experience is that so do other Linux OS's. I have not had serious problems with Ubuntu or Zorin, no more so than with Mint. The only one I couldn't even install was Makulu, and that's because it's installation is more complicated and I was spoiled by the others. I never had problems even dual-booting Mint, Zorin or Ubuntu with Windows. Well, I do have that absurd time issue, where Windows displays incorrect time (off by 5 hours). I discovered I could "fix" it by setting it to Casablanca time. Oddly enough, I discovered this the day after watching Casablanca the movie.
Gateway GT5656, AMD Athlon 3GHz, 6GB ram, 2-500 GB hard drives, 8400GS video, UR-22 Audio

rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

Completely agree with both top posters. I've tried a few other distributions (sometimes just to see if they've caught up with Linux Mint) but there is always something "off" in them. I know I could get used to some other distribution if I had to but I'm lazy and at an age where I just want to use an on OS and not constantly tinker with it. Besides I've been using Linux exclusively for about seven or eight years and Linux Mint, I think, for about six years. This is "home" now. Currently using Linux Mint Mate 17.1 on this desktop.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

I guess you put me down as a fanboy as well. But someone who I trust who works with linux and VM for a living and uses Ubuntu on some of his own gear did not see running Mint as making my PC vulnerable as I did not download the impacted .iso and changed my mint forum password right away. Also have a few antiques tat I really have nothing on - junk really - that I installed lubuntu on - they run fine although I never really use them - I suppose I should donate them to some place as they would make a good "basic" (browser, Office suite, email) PC for someone.

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October »

Also I test other distro's a lot, just looking at Distrowatch and reading the stories about the latest updates which are announced there. Then thinking O, that one could be nice. So download it, copy a Virtualbox template to make a new machine with all the right settings and set it up. Then, sooner or later depending on the OS, I find out that things are not there, or don't work as I am used to or are so complicated to set up that I think: Now way. Stop the VM and delete it completely, after which I start looking for another OS again.
When I do find one which could be it I install it sometimes as primary OS to see how it behaves in a normal machine compared to a VM. But even then I always return to Mint because there is always something there. With Mint I install it, I add some programs which I use, and it works. It just works. It is amazing how this is possible. I mean it is based on Ubuntu and Debian. Try to install Ubuntu and use it out of the box like you do with Mint. Sorry to say this but that is a disaster.You can't use Ubuntu out of the box.

So, I will keep using Mint if, and only if, Mint keeps making a KDE version of the wonderful OS. I wish LMDE would have a KDE version as well. I've tried SolydXK in the KDE version but somehow it is not what I expected or hoped for. No idea if a Mint KDE LMDE would be any different but I guess I will never find out since there are no plans to create it.

Thank you Clem, thank you team, thank you Mint.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Fred Barclay wrote::lol:

How are you going? Same stuff as last time? :(
HI Fred. Yeah. The typhoid did not go away after antibiotics and when I saw the doctor after six weeks of fighting, she rushed me into hospital. It turns out that typhoid is waaayyyyy more dangerous than I realized. I am clear now but convalescing and plan to get immunised next week. It's too easy to get typhoid in Indonesia and I have no latent immunity.

Still, it means thee days off work and out of hospital so I am fooling around with hard disks to try and get my anime sources together!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

frodopogo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frodopogo »

rcentros wrote:Completely agree with both top posters. I've tried a few other distributions (sometimes just to see if they've caught up with Linux Mint) but there is always something "off" in them. I know I could get used to some other distribution if I had to but I'm lazy and at an age where I just want to use an on OS and not constantly tinker with it. Besides I've been using Linux exclusively for about seven or eight years and Linux Mint, I think, for about six years. This is "home" now. Currently using Linux Mint Mate 17.1 on this desktop.
I too have downloaded Lubuntu and more recently Zorin, and there is always something odd, that while most likely fixable, makes Mint just seem like "home"- the exact phrase I used to describe the feeling as well. I tweak Mint anyway, but why do even more tweaking that's basically unnecessary. At first, I was super nervous, since security issues were what drove me away from Windows, but it just doesn't seem like the real risks are that big, not enough to switch.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I'll second the above post by afineman. LM could easily have caved, or tried the minimal approach, or lived in denial and fear brought about by a culture (at least here in the U.S.) of too many lawyers and too many lawsuits, but they didn't. It makes me really proud.

Also, in general, LM gives me what I want in a distro, and does this far more than any other distros I'm aware of.

Keep doing what you're doing, and I'll keep staying here.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

smgordon1259 wrote: Linux mint just feels like home...
For having the right distro immediately available for working I agree with you. LM is the best choice for me too.

For fun and experiments, I have found a few nice distro. But it always turns bad with them. I always break them at the end. Only my LMDE install has survived. :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

Greetings and a HUGE thank-you to the entire Mint community.

(aside)
I thought the "superglue" post was a hoot!
(/aside)

First:
My "usual First" is because Mint is soooooo very usable "right out of the box". However that has changed as of this debacle. My NEW "first" is because the maintainers of Mint have the BALLS to stand up and take ownership when the [cow poo] hits the fan.

And for me, that is as important, if not more so, than the steps taken to harden the servers. There's too much FUD and Cruft out there, too much "political correctness", too much by too many of trying to shirk responsibility or play it down.

I give Clem and his crew a HUGE "+10,000" for the way they handled this.

----------------------------------

Re: The hack itself.

I don't want to say "I told you so!", because I didn't. However you can't own the #1 spot on Distrowatch for as long as you have, you can't attract the legions of loyal followers you have, and you can't have garnered the trust and respect you have without becoming a big glowing "bulls-eye" for those bottom feeders, skum, and slime that want nothing better than to hack something like this. The fact that you responded so quickly, carefully, and honestly, only adds luster to Mint's already burnished glory.

---------------------------------

Things I would do differently - especially post-hack:
(If I am describing something that has already happened, please correct me.)

* Make the checksums for **ALL** the versions of a particular release available as a monolithic .TXT file, or something similar.

This way I can store the checksums file on the server where I store the ISO's. This is useful, not only to verify post-hack, but to verify that a particular ISO hasn't been inadvertently corrupted while on the server itself.

* Do something to make hardening a system easier.

If I were to show my own @$$, and confess to why I don't do more to harden my own system, I would say it's because all the various security tools are both scattered all over Hell and Half of Texas. Finding what you want, and configuring it in a useful way is a non-trivial task.

(a) It would be great if there were a system tool that is part of the standard download that would walk the non-guru user through the process of hardening a system. Things like tripwire, (etc. etc. etc.), are not only a pain to set up, they're a pain to admin, and they are a pain to use.

(b) (see above) Do something to make the administration of the needful hardening steps, (like ClamAV), simpler, and in one central location instead of in 35 scattered pieces.

(c) Do something to make it easier to know, and understand, exactly what's going on. Am I being attacked? Did I configure [insert tool] correctly or did I make a balls-up of something?

I would love to harden my own setup efficiently and well, but I don't have the time or energy to spend it reading the latest two or three O'Reilly books on System Security to do so.

Again, my most humble and grateful thanks for everything you've done for all of us.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done!

Jim (JR)
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

killer de bug wrote:
smgordon1259 wrote: Linux mint just feels like home...
For having the right distro immediately available for working I agree with you. LM is the best choice for me too.
I couldn't have said it better.

Kudos to everyone on the Mint team!

Jim (JR)
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

I agree that in most cases Linux Mint 17.x is hard to beat and does what most users need.

I install and use Ubuntu 14.04 / Linux Mint Mate 17.1 and both right out of the box work great without any problems.
I think Ubuntu and Linux Mint are the only choice for everyday use as both just work.
I also believe the reason that both work so well is the fact both distros have the backing for development and the available support for each distro.

If one wants a fun Linux distro to play with and use Puppy Linux (tahrpup 6.0) is an excellent choice and also a very useful Linux distro.
Whichever Linux distro a user chooses is a good choice as one can't go wrong when choosing to use Linux.

The Old Timer

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

Puppy is the only other distro I've found functional, although I haven't tried Ubuntu lately. Definitely liking the latest Mint, I have hardly used Windows at all since installing it. That's because, unlike other ones I've tried, Mint works right out of the box. People don't run away from Windows just so they can sudo themselves to death.
Thinkpad T430 Mint 19.1

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

Puppy is cool because it can run from a frugal install or from a usb flash drive and I like the fact that it has a very small footprint
and isn't resource hungry.

I still have Windows 7 / Windows 10 computers around the house and don't believe in wiping out what is still supported.
They are not used much.

Toreador
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toreador »

I'll chime in as a fanboy based on two months on Linux. When I saw the forced upgrade to Windows 10 I ran. Did my research and came here. I laugh about it now because my wife immediately thought I was having an affair. Putting an OS on that she didn't know and couldn't use (*coughsnoopcough*).

She has now switched. She is doing her Masters in child development and was pissed when her new printer wouldn't install on Windows. She downloaded all the drivers, looked everywhere for hours then came to me. I walked in, plugged it into Mint and it immediately worked. .She told me to F### Off and made me install it.

It's the little things. HAHA

Seriously though, I love it. The control, the fluidity of things just working and working well.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”