PCjacking

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 pm

PCjacking

Post by melody5697 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:50 pm

As you may be able to tell, I am not an active member on this forum. I don't even use Linux Mint anymore. (I switched to Ubuntu a week ago. I'd been thinking about switching for a while because I wanted to be able to watch Netflix on my computer and use the current version of Opera. Then I managed to get a virus or something because I downloaded a program that wasn't in the software manager and my computer got hacked and I decided the fastest and easiest way to deal with it would be to reinstall the operating system and that was a good opportunity to switch to Ubuntu.) But this is related to Linux Mint, which is why I decided to post it here. You're all gonna love this. Yesterday I put a Linux Mint live CD in a computer at Walmart. It took a while because I had to look up how to get to the BIOS settings on an HP computer. (For someone who uses Linux, I don't actually know that much about computers.) But I got it to work and took a picture which I have attached. I decided to go back five hours later and see if it was still there and it was! Somebody had even changed the desktop background! Then I went back again 24 hours after I put the CD in the computer AND IT'S STILL THERE! Isn't that AWESOME?! If I have time, I'll go to that Walmart again on the way home to find out if it's still there. I'll let you all know whether or not it's still there. I won't be able to go over the weekend. My grandparents (I live with them) don't know I'm doing this. But if it's still there when I go today, I'll go on Monday and maybe it will still be there!

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Re: PCjacking

Post by melody5697 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Oops, I forgot to attach the picture! And now it says the file is too large... I guess I could fix that with GIMP, but I don't know how because I've never used GIMP. I'll figure it out later because I need to be doing school right now.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13857
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: PCjacking

Post by Pjotr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Re: PCjacking

Post by melody5697 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Pjotr wrote:Try http://www.postimage.org

:)
I can't get the image to post because the forum says it can't determine the size of the image. Looks like the best I can provide is a link to the image.
Image

theStreak
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 am

Re: PCjacking

Post by theStreak » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Nice guerrilla marketing! Ok, everyone get to your local Walmart with a Mint live DVD on the double! :)
Practice safe computing -- use a live CD
________________________________________
Sony VAIO VGN-SR540G / Linux Mint 17.2 / MATE + Compiz

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9714
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: PCjacking

Post by Moem » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:28 pm

I love this story! Thanks for posting, and as a reward, here's a little tip. Gimp is great, but it's not easy to learn when you are just starting out. If you want a simple, intuitive drawing programme that you'll understand almost instantly, try Pinta. Enjoy! :D
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Bumping around in the bush

Re: PCjacking

Post by Fred Barclay » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Cool!

Great job!
(Now if only it were legal for you to actually install Mint on those machines while in the shop...) :D

Let us know what you see on Monday. :)
Image
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Skaendo

Re: PCjacking

Post by Skaendo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:44 pm

This is great. I learned about PCjacking a long time ago from here (the original PCjacker):

http://ma.nu/pcjacking/

When he was doing it he was using KNOPPIX 4.0.2 (2005?) I have been wanting to do it for a while now, but unfortunately the stores around here have their laptops locked down to the display and you can't access the CD-ROM because there is a bracket right in front of them.

Well done to the OP!

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Re: PCjacking

Post by melody5697 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:32 am

Skaendo wrote:This is great. I learned about PCjacking a long time ago from here (the original PCjacker):

http://ma.nu/pcjacking/

When he was doing it he was using KNOPPIX 4.0.2 (2005?) I have been wanting to do it for a while now, but unfortunately the stores around here have their laptops locked down to the display and you can't access the CD-ROM because there is a bracket right in front of them.

Well done to the OP!
Yeah, most of the laptops had brackets in front of the disk drives. There were only two that didn't. I hope the employees don't decide to do that to all of them when they finally notice that one of the computers is running Linux. I went back about four hours ago and they still haven't noticed. ^^ But my friend Tyler thinks that maybe they noticed but they just don't know how to change it back. I changed the background back to the default one so people will know what they're looking at. After all, what's the point of putting a Linux live CD in a computer if nobody knows it's Linux?

Skaendo

Re: PCjacking

Post by Skaendo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:31 am

melody5697 wrote:Yeah, most of the laptops had brackets in front of the disk drives. There were only two that didn't. I hope the employees don't decide to do that to all of them when they finally notice that one of the computers is running Linux. I went back about four hours ago and they still haven't noticed. ^^ But my friend Tyler thinks that maybe they noticed but they just don't know how to change it back. I changed the background back to the default one so people will know what they're looking at. After all, what's the point of putting a Linux live CD in a computer if nobody knows it's Linux?
I might have a close to EOL USB stick that I can spare to use, but that would be a one time deal since that could get expensive.

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Re: PCjacking

Post by melody5697 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:11 am

Skaendo wrote:
melody5697 wrote:Yeah, most of the laptops had brackets in front of the disk drives. There were only two that didn't. I hope the employees don't decide to do that to all of them when they finally notice that one of the computers is running Linux. I went back about four hours ago and they still haven't noticed. ^^ But my friend Tyler thinks that maybe they noticed but they just don't know how to change it back. I changed the background back to the default one so people will know what they're looking at. After all, what's the point of putting a Linux live CD in a computer if nobody knows it's Linux?
I might have a close to EOL USB stick that I can spare to use, but that would be a one time deal since that could get expensive.
When I was looking at the computers at a Walmart closer to my house to see if there were computers there that I could put a live CD in, I saw two desktop computers. I don't remember what brand they were. They were shaped like iMacs but ran Windows. They had disc drives that were very easily accessible. Maybe you could find a store that has those. I'll be going to Walmart to PCjack one of those when I have time.

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Re: PCjacking

Post by melody5697 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:21 am

I just remembered I can't check again on Monday because one of my friends is giving me a ride to school. She gives me a ride on Mondays now because my grandma and I have to share a car. :( I'll ask my friend if we can stop by Walmart after school, but it might be too inconvenient for her, especially since she doesn't use the same route I use because she doesn't like driving on one of the major roads.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: 0.0.0.0

Re: PCjacking

Post by Habitual » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:56 am

Kids today, I tell ya.
There is no security without physical security.
Shock and Awe, They only booted a LiveCD, big whoop, could have been worse.
Install? No. Never.

That is my opinion.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:29 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: PCjacking

Post by mike acker » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:32 am

melody5697 wrote:Oops, I forgot to attach the picture! And now it says the file is too large... I guess I could fix that with GIMP, but I don't know how because I've never used GIMP. I'll figure it out later because I need to be doing school right now.
for small jobs -- such as resize, crop -- try Gwenview

i'm not sure what their size limit is -- under 100K methinks--

try about 750x500 pixels; .jpeg quality 75%
¡Viva la Resistencia!

User avatar
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Bumping around in the bush

Re: PCjacking

Post by Fred Barclay » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:00 pm

Habitual wrote: Shock and Awe, They only booted a LiveCD, big whoop, could have been worse.
Wow, Habitual. Scary article! That'll be good to remember if I encrypt my hdd.
Thanks for the share. :)

BTW: what happened to your avatar? It's not even showing up now.
Image
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12054
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: PCjacking

Post by austin.texas » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:Cool!
(Now if only it were legal for you to actually install Mint on those machines while in the shop...) :D
Fred, I like the way you think... :!: :mrgreen:
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12054
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: PCjacking

Post by austin.texas » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:40 pm

melody5697 wrote:I can't get the image to post because the forum says it can't determine the size of the image.

Code: Select all

convert  ScreenShotName.png -resize 75% NEWname.jpg
PCjack.jpg
Last edited by austin.texas on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12054
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: PCjacking

Post by austin.texas » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:41 pm

Apologies... double posted
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

xox101
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: PCjacking

Post by xox101 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:27 pm

I am so tempted to do this in my local PCWorld/Currys store. Most of the staff in there have no idea about computers (not surprising as they are all on minimum wage 0 contracts) and it would be fun to see how long it lasted for.

"Excuse me, Linux Mint. Is that a new version of Windows?"

lol!

User avatar
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Bumping around in the bush

Re: PCjacking

Post by Fred Barclay » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:53 pm

It might be best to contact an employee before doing this, though...
After all, it's not your computer, it's still the shop's property.

Just a though. :)
Image
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”