cloud drive recommendations

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

cloud drive recommendations

Post by siawacsh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi, have been reading up on cloud drive solutions specifically for Linux and ideally for Mint but all the material seem to be at least 2 years old. I am looking for something that has a good client support and ideally encrypted. Has anyone here got some good recommendations.?

Thanks in advance
Siawacsh

Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Re: cloud drive recommendations

Post by Tar_Ni » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:33 pm

SpiderOak.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:10 pm

HI "siawacsh",

It really depends upon what you want to do with the "cloud storage".

You can get free secure 15gb (Google Drive) from Google by creating a Google Mail account. If you want more space they have very reasonable pricing.

And there are many other secure cloud storage providers that have Linux Interfaces, like "pCloud" free 10gb,"Dropbox" free 2gb, etc... Just search the Internet for "Linux Mint cloud storage", or "Linux cloud storage", and make sure it works with Linux Mint and or "ubuntu".

pCloud - "Create a pCloud account and instantly get 10 GB free online storage space. "
https://www.pcloud.com/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:26 am

USB Drive is my "service".

tbellas3rd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbellas3rd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:46 am

I use Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive.

Also, I have a 16gb USB Stick for backups..

One can never have too many safe spots. :)

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:21 pm

This is always appropriate...
;)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:52 pm

^^^^^

Nice one!!
Registered Linux user #557695
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
Windows 10 VM (I know) so I can work from home.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:28 pm

HI "siawacsh", and Anyone Else Interested in this

That is a good pic "Fred".

Having cloud storage can be extremely useful. There are many good reasons for having secure "cloud storage". Sharing stuff with friends and family, business, forums, sending large files, sharing to portable devices, like smart phones, sharing with other smart devices, when travelling, etc...

Linux Mint and the Cloud Storage Providers have integration options for Google Drive, Dropbox, and "pCloud", as do other cloud providers. I use these three "Cloud" Storage providers: Google Drive, "pCloud", & "DropBox".

I am very impressed with the "pCloud" cloud storage service, plus free 10gb!, it is simple to install & use in Linux Mint, has an easy to use system tray panel icon that works, my file manager works well with it (just copy a file to the sync folder, and that's it), their web interface is excellent and easy to use, etc... See screen shots below. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Free "pCloud" file transfer link, including large files.
https://transfer.pcloud.com/

Hope this helps ...
"pCloud" cloud storage provider that works well with Linux Mint. Showing file manager and system tray panel icon options.
"pCloud" cloud storage provider that works well with Linux Mint. Showing file manager and system tray panel icon options.
In their easy to use web Interface is a gear icon with various simple options for handling folders and files, uploading files and or folders, managing folders and files: creating, moving deleting, copying, or playing music, sharing (or not sharing) various files and folders, etc...

And it is simple to provide "web links" to share your stuff with others through email, or in a forum, or in an Instant Messenger (Chat) program, etc...
"pCloud" web interface in my Firefox browser.
"pCloud" web interface in my Firefox browser.
I personally do not see how it would be good for backing up an entire computer system through the Internet, because it would have to be slower than backing up to a local external drive.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Western Digital sends me emails now and then with their advertisements. I just got done reading one with an 8TB cloud usb drive for around $289.

I am a web host so I use one of my subscribed servers an a cloud storage device.
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Fred, you hit the nail.

siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Thank you to all for your helpful feedback especially phd21. I think I will go for pCloud. I have already used Google drive and found it too basic for backing up my files. I could not find any Linux client to help my sync files. Their customer service confirmed that they do not really support Linux which really a shame since all their back end servers run Linux. So it would have been a case of me remembering which files need updating on the cloud or backing up the whole system all over again.

Even though I have nothing to hide, nevertheless I am a bit uncomfortable if my files are not encrypted and can be read by big brother. So that is another consideration for a cloud storage. I am going to try pCloud and see what it's like.

Thanks once again.
Siawacsh

Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:43 pm

siawacsh wrote:
Even though I have nothing to hide, nevertheless I am a bit uncomfortable if my files are not encrypted and can be read by big brother. So that is another consideration for a cloud storage. I am going to try pCloud and see what it's like.

Thanks once again.
Siawacsh
Big brother can grab any info going in and out of your machine over the net. Encryption really does no good unless you have the ability to create a unique super encryption code. Then they would probably want to hire you. Your best bet to avoid snooping would be a private home network with no outside access with your own personal cloud drive. Otherwise it's just an illusion. Just saying... :|
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:57 am

I have heard a two providers (who's names I have forgotten) do encrypt during transfer. Obviously that would mean a speed over head but should not be an issue for those who have fast connections. And it's not just big brother I would be worried about. There are a whole load of scammers who depend on personal information for id theft and the like...

Siawacsh

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi "siawacsh", & Anyone Else Interested in this,

You are welcome.

"pCloud" has encrypted file transfers in their free web link, see web page tab, but it is file size is limited to around 600mb? If you sign up for their paid service, which is very reasonable, then you can use their "crypto" folder & options. You can always encrypt, or create a password / encrypted archive, of folder(s) and or files locally before transfer (uploading) to a could service, or anywhere else (email, IM (chat), etc...).

I highly recommend that everyone use a VPN provider service anyway when on the Internet to prevent anyone from monitoring your activities, and VPN connections are encrypted by default. It is just smart, safe, and secure to do so. A good low cost "paid for" "VPN" provider, like "Private Internet Access (PIA)", will not slow down your connection, it might even improve it. But, even using a free VPN provider (like "vpnbook" or "vpngate") would be better than not using one, although your Internet connection will be slower on a free VPN provider, it would still be much safer and more secure. There are also free and paid for VPN proxies available through your browsers as add-ons (plug-ins or extensions), and some just by going to their proxy web pages, that require no special system setup procedures, but these are not system wide and only work in the browser(s); a lot of the major VPN providers have them, and there are others as well, like "Hoxx", "HMA", etc...

FYI: I connect to my VPN first, before connecting to any cloud provider, or its client software application, then I know my transfers are safe and encrypted automatically.

Hope this helps ...

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:40 am

https://mega.nz/ are the best.

They give you 50GB of free cloud storage.
Donate to your favourite distros!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:14 am

Chiefahol wrote:https://mega.nz/ are the best.

Is that associated with Kim Dot Com?
I remember some legal issues a few years back...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:00 pm

I use Mega, 50GB of free space, sync client for Linux. Works great. I use to use a service called Copy on my windows machines and that worked good, but they are gone on May 1s, so I switched to One Drive, but just windows based. plus they just downgraded the free space from 15GB to 5 GB. So I am going with Mega. Everything is encrypted also.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:04 am

Fred Barclay wrote:

That was with Mega Upload. A scandalous site indeed.

Mega is the predecessor, supposedly more legitimate, aimed at regular cloud consumers instead of pirates.
Donate to your favourite distros!

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:06 am

Fred Barclay wrote:

Yes. Or was...

royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:42 pm

I anyone using Amazon Cloud storage, no sync client but looks like its good just as a backup, especially for photos where the storage is unlimited. If you're a Prime member, it's free, (5GB of file storage other than photos) or if not, it's just $11.99 per year. No Linux client, but there is a plug-in for Chrome.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”