I have converted a ardent windows user :)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

I have converted a ardent windows user :)

Post by coffee412 »

Hello from Cmdr. Coffee :)

My neighbor, A total advocate of windows running a Acer laptop has been converted. She was so stuck on windows it made my skin crawl - lol. I had the opportunity to service her laptop some time ago and had issues when I dual booted windows and linux. It was a temperature control issue. Well, With Rosa released recently I had her laptop in the shop again for major windows issues. I decided to install Rosa on the linux partition. As for the windows problem - same old, same old problem - Windows 7 updates were broke and poor performance. I installed Rosa and everything worked great. Very fast even with the built in ATI Raedon video card - using the open source driver.

A few years ago I talked her into building a backup server to sit in her basement. She needed a way to backup files. So, I did an AMD 6 core with 8 gigs ram and setup samba for her. That computer has been running basically nonstop for a few years now. I even added a UPS to handle outages for her. I have her backups stored on a soft RAID5.

After installing Rosa on the laptop I teamviewed into her server and installed the NFS common to setup nfs file sharing. Worked like a charm of course. She called me just yesterday and said:

"Your not going to believe this but I have been using Mint all day and I guess I really like it. Its been absolutely flawless. Can you setup my printer?".

She has an Epson X400 printer she bought and has it connected via usb. I went into the printers dialog in administrators and it found it right off. However, I think because of her video chipset the bottom of the program runs off the bottom of the screen. So, There is no way to save the printer configuration in it. So, I did it thru CUPS and it worked but I had to guess at the driver to use.

She was absolutely set on windows. Now I have cracked the windows hold on her and even talked her into a SSD drive. This arrives today and I will install and clone her old drive to it and setup TRIM.

She belongs to us now. Saved from the evil of M$ and living peacefully in the arms of Great Penguin :)

8) Cmdr. Coffee signing off.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I have converted a ardent windows user :)

Post by Tomgin5 »

Good convert Coffee.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I love a story with a happy ending!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

I converted my wife to LM about three years ago - same old story always problems with windows - she hated 7 and always was talking about XP. She really is a very basic user - Office (mostly Word and some Excel) hotmail and internet browsing (mostly amazon and genealogy). I installed LM changed the menu to START and renamed the appropriate desktop shortcut icons to WORD, EXCEL, Hotmail, Firefox, Documents and Pictures and other than a little learning curve on Libre Office she was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the trouble free snappier performance.

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

This story brought tears to my eyes.

(Then again, hearing about anyone using Mycrowsoft products brings tears to my eyes!) :lol:

Way to go, Cmdr. Coffee!

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Great story, I've done the same with 2 family members and a couple of mates and get no panic stricken phone calls or 'support' requests, no wonder MS wants to keep it off hardware . . . . . . : /

Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I gave away 4 LM Live discs today at a wake at church. I happened to have them in my glovebox. Old friend passed. One of those that took one is a retired English lit professor. Another ex win user that I converted 2 weeks ago mentioned it and they came looking for me. Have a pool of about 150 to convert and they are doing it very quickly to escape from Win 10 problems.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

Go ye into all the world making Linux disciple's, saving them from the darkness ( MS )
Resurrecting older XP PC's from EOL to a new LTS version.
Well done you good and faithful servants. :D

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

I await my "Silver Penguin" Medal of Honor :)

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

coffee412 wrote:I await my "Silver Penguin" Medal of Honor :)
Hmm...

Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

Portreve wrote:
coffee412 wrote:I await my "Silver Penguin" Medal of Honor :)
Hmm...

Excellent!

I will have to look around on the web for something like that :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”