[HEALED] Mint fora issue: "Secure Connection Failed"

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint fora issue: "Secure Connection Failed"

Post by Cosmo. »

The error message, as given in the starting post of this thread, lead me to the idea, that my suggestion could be helpful. I am sorry, that this was not the case.
Reorx wrote:Also noticed > some avatars do not show up but some do - for example, mine is MIA but everyone else's (the ones who have avatars) on this page are fine...
As I described above, the avatars get not displayed in those cases, where the connection to the storage place gets done via a http-connection. That is the purpose of the Mixed Passive Content blocking. Obviously this is for example the case for you, but I could make in the meantime a long list of users, who have their avatar also not on a storage, which gets connected via https. BTW, on the first page of this thread is another user, who's avatar does not get shown with this blocking. You can easily distinguish between user without any avatar at all (like me) and those with blocked avatar by reading "User avatar" on the right side above the user name.

What you should notice is the green lock icon in the address bar of Firefox with enabled blocking which ensures, that the connection is sure and validated by the Comodo-certificate.

Although Mixed Passive Content gives a comparably smaller risk than Mixed Active Content, it gives some risks, especially regarding tracking.
So I wonder, if the forum should not block avatars from http-souces in general to enhance the privacy for all users.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

What I still do not understand is, why it are so few complaints. Assuming, that about the half of the Mint users use the pre-installed Firefox, there should be much more.
As a network admin at a previous job told me, "There's a lot of pain out there."

I didn't report this because I use a workaround. I take all the time I need to compose my reply. I then select the entire reply and copy it. When I click submit, I get the error. Then I click the back button, paste the reply into the text box and click submit. Works every time.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Clicking on retry is always working. No need for copy pasting in my case. :)
amethyst_igor

Potential SSL issue?

Post by amethyst_igor »

For due diligence, I'm posting information about a recurring long-term problem I have posting messages to this forum.
Today, using my Firefox browser, I logged in fresh by clicking log out, then entered my username and password and logged in.
I replied to a message in the forum, then encountered this by now very familiar error message, which I've seen already for several weeks now, when I clicked Submit. It says Secure Connection Failed. I don't get this error message unless I try to submit a reply or a new post. If I click Retry, then the message does post to the forum.

In "Learn More," Mozilla recommends informing the site owner(s) of the problem, because there may be an issue with the SSL certificate or signing authority. I have gotten this problem also on Bluehost, but not on chess.com or any other sites that I remember. Not really sure what is going on. I can keep clicking Retry to submit my posts, but it does seem rather strange that it keeps happening. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not.

One positive out of all this is that I've gotten into the habit of pressing Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C in my message before clicking Submit.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've merged your topic here amethyst_igor, as this is about the same issue. To the best of our collective understanding here, this is caused by a change in Firefox 46 and will hopefully be fixed in Firefox 47. Users on other forums have reported the same issue with Firefox 46.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

xenopeek wrote:I've merged your topic here amethyst_igor, as this is about the same issue. To the best of our collective understanding here, this is caused by a change in Firefox 46 and will hopefully be fixed in Firefox 47. Users on other forums have reported the same issue with Firefox 46.
It's definitely a Firefox-specific issue which plagues both the desktop and mobile version of the app. In fact, I can't even successfully log onto this forum from FF Mobile. :shock:

(C'est la vie... my main squeeze is Chromium. :lol: )
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

FYI:
I have been getting this very annoying error every time I post or reply in Firefox 46, since Firefox upgraded from 45. I have to hit retry and resend every time, but then it does work.

In my Opera-Beta, i never have this problem.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

Portreve wrote:
xenopeek wrote:I've merged your topic here amethyst_igor, as this is about the same issue. To the best of our collective understanding here, this is caused by a change in Firefox 46 and will hopefully be fixed in Firefox 47. Users on other forums have reported the same issue with Firefox 46.
It's definitely a Firefox-specific issue which plagues both the desktop and mobile version of the app. In fact, I can't even successfully log onto this forum from FF Mobile. :shock:

(C'est la vie... my main squeeze is Chromium. :lol: )
Noooo! Firefox forever!
Well, FF seemed to work this morning. I just posted a message without the forum hiccuping.
I think that FF is being the bold, brave pioneer once more, trying to protect its users from bad sites, but they haven't yet tweaked their medicine so it doesn't have unwanted side effects.
I don't have the problem on chess.com, where I spend like my entire life.

Edit : Also, this message posted without any hiccup. Maybe the problem is resolved! Firefox is still on 46.0.1. on my end. But it could be fixed at the SSL-checking headquarters in Internet Zone 7. I made that up, but that might make a little bit of sense. Our browsers like to check various things all the time all over the web, so I imagine there is something Firefox interfaces with, like a certificate-signing authority. I do not know much about SSL and am rather resistant to learning. What interests me are batch files, scripts and Wordpress.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Yes, problem resolved and clearly the problem was not in FF side.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Well, after reading the last several posts, I tried my luck at the "FF 46.0.1 on Mint fora" lottery... I waited over 5 minutes to post this post and it succeeded on the first attempt! Life's good... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

xenopeek wrote:Possibly it's related to a change in Firefox 46 for which there is this bug report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1269055 that is likely going to be fixed in Firefox 47.
We will see soon ... cause here it is .... Firefox 47.0 on Mint 13:

Code: Select all

karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ inxi -S; LC_ALL=C dpkg --list firefox
System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.2.0-102-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0
           Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
||/ Name                       Version                    Description
+++-==========================-==========================-==========================================================
ii  firefox                    47.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04 Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ 
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

BigEasy wrote:Yes, problem resolved and clearly the problem was not in FF side.
Maybe not only on FF side. But only FF users did report this problem. So...
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Issue gone here as well.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [HEALED] Mint fora issue: "Secure Connection Failed"

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

I am not having a problem today with this "Secure Connection Failed" and Firefox, so hopefully this issue is over...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: [HEALED] Mint fora issue: "Secure Connection Failed"

Post by Portreve »

Brigadeer: They asked me to tell you that the ‘SSH issue’ has been been taken care of, what the devil that ever means. So, it looks like it wasn't the TARDIS after all.
Doctor: What? Clem told you that personally, did he?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”