Dedoimedo's Dis of Xenial Xerus

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amethyst_igor

Dedoimedo's Dis of Xenial Xerus

Post by amethyst_igor »

Looks like Xenial Xeru gets no love from Dedoimedo. This is relevant to LM'ers, because the next LM will be based on Xeru.

Personally, I'm probably going to stick with 17.3 for a while. The thing is, I have to add PPA's anyway to get the latest versions of stuff, even on one of my Xubuntu 16.04 rigs, with 16.04 being newly hatched. Ubuntu declares feature freeze and that's it, Qbittorrent falls behind. The version in the repo = 3.31, the latest version = 3.34. Bump dat, I'm getting the latest version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dedoimedo's Dis of Xenial Xeru

Post by BigEasy »

It is not necessary to read it's articles. They often changing their mind to 180 degree in few weeks. Today something is very bad, later it became very good. Author is the same.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

BigEasy wrote:It is not necessary to read it's articles. They often changing their mind to 180 degree in few weeks. Today something is very bad, later it became very good. Author is the same.
Dedo can be the harshest Linux distro critic I've seen, but I think his passion is borne of love for Linux. When he likes a distro, he really likes it. He usually likes Linux Mint.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

dedoimedo's thoughts depend on phase of the Moon.
January 4, 2016
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa - A wilted flower
To my great disappointment, but not entirely surprisingly, Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa sucks, just like the rest of them. All of them.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-rosa.html

February 3, 2016
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Xfce - Absolutely fantastic
Seriously, Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Xfce is a blistering good distribution.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... -xfce.html
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

BigEasy wrote:dedoimedo's thoughts depend on phase of the Moon.
That would make him a lunatic in the most literal sense of the word. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

Still and all, I find dedo amusing at times, to the point and informative. One doesn't haven't to agree with everything one reads. And, it's quite logical for dedo to dislike 17.3 Rosa, and like 17.3 Xfce. Different desktop. Me, I liked both. But I also like to read his POV.

Also, keep in mind we don't exactly have a ton of choices in review-land for each point-release of a given distro. Dedo ain't bad, I'll give him 5 min. of my time. I think his main pitfall is using cantankerous hardware. I checked my hardware prior to purchase for optimal compatibility with Linux. Also, his gripes sometimes concern things that are beyond the purview of a distro, like the kernel.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Any cloud storage is someone else's storage, not your. Any reviews and articles is someone else's opinion, not your.
Why not install Ubuntu by yourself?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

amethyst_igor wrote:Still and all, I find dedo amusing at times, to the point and informative. One doesn't haven't to agree with everything one reads. And, it's quite logical for dedo to dislike 17.3 Rosa, and like 17.3 Xfce. Different desktop.
I can't tell. He doesn't say which desktop he used when he tried Rosa for the first article. And 17.3 Xfce is Rosa too. So he's not being very clear.
I mean, I can guess by the screenshots... but surely if you're going to review a distro, you should mention which desktop environment you're trying out?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

Moem wrote:
amethyst_igor wrote:Still and all, I find dedo amusing at times, to the point and informative. One doesn't haven't to agree with everything one reads. And, it's quite logical for dedo to dislike 17.3 Rosa, and like 17.3 Xfce. Different desktop.
I can't tell. He doesn't say which desktop he used when he tried Rosa for the first article. And 17.3 Xfce is Rosa too. So he's not being very clear.
I mean, I can guess by the screenshots... but surely if you're going to review a distro, you should mention which desktop environment you're trying out?
I see what you mean. I assumed he meant Cinnamon, because that is default, but he never mentioned the desktop. Bad Dedo! I suspect Dedo has problematic hardware and a weird network. He has a lot of problems with stuff. Usually, he gripes about printing and Samba. I take his reviews with a grain of salt. "Phases of the moon" may be appropriate, but there's not a ton of reviews out there that Distrowatch links to, so one accepts whatever is available. I bet "wilted flower" went over real well with Linux Mint's devs.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just some random observations:

[1] He does mention Cinnamon - hard to find I'll admit:
Coincidentally, possibly for the same reason, Cinnamon was not willing to remove mounted volumes icons from the desktop.
[2] He really really likes XFCE - from anybody - mostly from Xubuntu.
[3] When he installs and reports on his own experiences with a new distro he adopts a zero tolerance stance. Everything works or it doesn't. If it's big enough of a problem it will get a 0/10. If it's minor it gets better. He reports many successes of varying degrees so he knows that Linux on the desktop can work worth his hardware.
[4] Also on his site are HowTo's on what to do with things like Samba and other things so it's not that he can't fix things. It's just that at this point in his life with Linux he shouldn't have to deal with it.
[5] He really doesn't much give a rat's butt if it works for you. It's his blog not yours.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dedoimedo's Dis of Xenial Xerus

Post by Joss »

His reviews are thorough and mostly fair, his tutorials are excellent.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Just a note: The nickname of Ubuntu 16.04 is Xenial Xerus. Note the letter "s" at the end. - By the way a xerus is a ground squirrel. Really cute. Unlike a green banana which is sold as an LTS release. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I've never heard of this guy, amethyst_igor, and I sort of suspect most people out there haven't, either. So why give him any further free publicity?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's all somewhat too much drama for me. I like my tech reviews a bit less emotional, and a bit more rational. Up to him, of course, but it's not really my thing. I hadn't heard of him, and I'll happily go back to not reading him.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

Portreve wrote:I've never heard of this guy, amethyst_igor, and I sort of suspect most people out there haven't, either. So why give him any further free publicity?
:lol: I know, right?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”