I spead up mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

I spead up mint

Post by royphotog » Sun May 08, 2016 4:05 pm

Just thought I would share my experience with speeding up an old Laptop running Mine.

I have been running Mint 17.3 on an old Lenovo laptop at work for about two months. It ran OK, but not great. I did a little search and found this page with info on how to speed up mint.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3

The basic tips helped a great deal, but using the web with the Chromium browser, (because this old laptop is 32 bit) the browsing was still slow. I switched to Opera, that was faster, and I liked it, but I could not install the grammar checker Grammarly on Opera, (this has become indispensable for me), so I went to Firefox. Found it as fast Opera, and faster the Chromium. Now it hums right along. I am happy.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Re: I spead up mint

Post by Crewp » Sun May 08, 2016 5:48 pm

The link to the page you found is from one of our members here, Pjotr give him thanks next time you see him here on the forum. He puts a lot work into it.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I speed up mint

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun May 08, 2016 11:03 pm

Crewp wrote:The link to the page you found is from one of our members here, Pjotr give him thanks next time you see him here on the forum. He puts a lot work into it.
Cool, I have used that page often and find it to be well-written and right. It is an excellent reference. Tweaking probably isn't absolutely necessary, but it's kind of cool to squeeze a bit more performance from an old rig at no cost other than pure knowledge.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Re: I speed up mint

Post by Crewp » Mon May 09, 2016 7:07 am

amethyst_igor wrote:
Crewp wrote:The link to the page you found is from one of our members here, Pjotr give him thanks next time you see him here on the forum. He puts a lot work into it.
Cool, I have used that page often and find it to be well-written and right. It is an excellent reference. Tweaking probably isn't absolutely necessary, but it's kind of cool to squeeze a bit more performance from an old rig at no cost other than pure knowledge.
I agree, I've used a lot of that info to tweak my wife's and Mom's LM17.3 computers. And some of those tweaks work with LMDE2 too.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Mon May 09, 2016 9:01 am

Pjotr does a great service maintaining his site. I have referenced it countless times.

royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog » Thu May 12, 2016 10:30 pm

I did not realize that Pjotr did those pages, I have seen him in the forum. Yes, a great resource.

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Pjotr is a huge asset to these forums - I have been grateful to him many times.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”