Mint 18 KDE - please make Plasma 5 work properly in Mint 18

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Mint 18 KDE - please make Plasma 5 work properly in Mint 18

Post by Jedinovice » Tue May 10, 2016 6:08 am

A note to the Mint KDE team - pleeeeaaaassse make Plasma 5 work properly in Mint 18. I beg you!

I will fight for the credit card from my wife for a donation if Mint 18 KDE works on my laptops - I swear! I will explain...

OK, I am a KDE fan. But it's for practical reasons. Not only does KDE Plasma match my workflow, and it's keyboard shortcut control is second to none, but I live and die by 'Kdenlive' which, as the name denotes, is dependent on the KDE libraries. With Mint 17 stuck on KDE 4 I can't get upgrades to Kdenlive. Normally I don't care about the latest and greatest software if it dose what I want but Kdenlive is an exception as new features and effects are useful to me.

In lieu of Mint 18 I went trying out other distros for KDE 5.

Result: Disaster.

KAOS - installed lovely. Ran lovely.

No software. I mean, seriously, no software! And I use LOTS of software - including a manga reader. No Steam, no Wine, Winff, no PPAs Game over.

Opensuse - Couldn't get Tumbleweed to download at all so had to go for the fixed version edition.
Installation was a super-complex sys admin affair. I mean, yes, there is an easy route as long as you just go all defaults and don't try and connect to the network during install. Gave up on network, installed, connected to wireless via KDE - good... then tried to install codecs.

Nothing worked. Even when it claimed codecs were installed nothing would read media.

Gave up. It was hard enough installing Opensuse.

Manjaro - worked. Got to give it credit, everything ran fine. But less software than Mint on tap. Could go Arch install but very busy so looked elsewhere. Still, Manjaro did at least work. But I doubted the software available included my manga reader.

Ah ha! Kubuntu LTS is out with Plasma 5! That will have what I want!

Installed. No wireless on the test machine. I know this is software because every other distro has been tested on the same machine with wireless. I even boot up Kubuntu 15 and that works.

So dead in the water.

But wait… there's Ubuntu itself.

I install. Unity is a nightmare for a power user like myself. Totally designed for the mobile phone user - which is NOT me!

But... I can install KDE alongside it.

It doesn't work. Ubuntu completely refuses to install KDE. Period. It's Unity or nothing. Yes, I read up on the subject follow the guides, dependency upon dependency upon dependency… It's slackware all over again. I even get dependency conflicts!

Gave up.

So…. I am waiting for Mint 18 KDE edition as my last best hope of getting a Linux distro that run KDE Plasma 5 with software that actually works!

I will be testing the beta releases when they become available. Please Mint team.. make it work!

Thanks in advance. I do have faith but you are my last, best hope.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Mint 18 KDE - pleeeeeaaaase work!!!

Post by Habitual » Tue May 10, 2016 6:22 am

Still more novice than Jedi, I see.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 am

Habitual wrote:Still more novice than Jedi, I see.
Dunno what you mean.

I need an OS and software to work. I am in the midst of exam season and I work six days a week and commonly ten hours a day.

Am I so wrong for wanting an OS to work with standard hardware with the software I use and need especially when my time for techie fooling around is strictly limited? I mean, I started off with Slackware 14.0 and ran it for six months but I had to leap to Mint - to my happiness - for precisely these reasons.
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue May 10, 2016 7:43 am

Wait wait wait... you want an OS to "just work" with software of your choice on your computer?!?!?!?!?

j/k

I hope everything works out.

But you might want to consider offering up your firstborn to Clem.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Tue May 10, 2016 7:45 am

Portreve wrote:Wait wait wait... you want an OS to "just work" with software of your choice on your computer?!?!?!?!?

j/k

I hope everything works out.

But you might want to consider offering up your firstborn to Clem.
Well, I am in the process of sacrificing goats to Lucifer for Kubuntu to start to work but your idea also has merit.. :lol:

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Tue May 10, 2016 7:50 am

...No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post....

But the gerbils suffered minor injuries.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue May 10, 2016 7:56 am

Mint 18 KDE will be based on Kubuntu 16.04 so the problem you found may still be present. Texstar, (PCLinuxOS) has a test build with plasma 5 but it will not be released as final until it is deemed ready. I mention this because I was in a situation not so different from you recently.

I tried using plasma 5 on a daily basis and found it to still be buggy and annoying. I mentioned PCLinuxOS mainly because Texstar simply will not release anything that does not meet his standards. Be patient, try Mint 18 KDE when it arrives and maybe PCLinuxOS KDE when it goes final.

You still have options! :)

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Tue May 10, 2016 8:47 am

exploder wrote:Mint 18 KDE will be based on Kubuntu 16.04 so the problem you found may still be present. Texstar, (PCLinuxOS) has a test build with plasma 5 but it will not be released as final until it is deemed ready. I mention this because I was in a situation not so different from you recently.

I tried using plasma 5 on a daily basis and found it to still be buggy and annoying. I mentioned PCLinuxOS mainly because Texstar simply will not release anything that does not meet his standards. Be patient, try Mint 18 KDE when it arrives and maybe PCLinuxOS KDE when it goes final.

You still have options! :)
What PCLinuxOS is going Plasma 5?
They've taken so long for a KDEcentric distro I wondered if it would ever happen! I like what I have seen of PCLinuxOS and it has some nice touches, including being able to change color depth easily. I will take a look when they ever get around to Plasma 5.

I am hoping that Mint 18 will not just take the Ubuntu 16 base without checking in some patches since the initial release. Also, if Mint 18 KDE builds on Ubuntu and NOT Kubuntu then all should be well because Ubuntu 16.04 does actually work. It's just that I find Unity 7 unusable for my purposes. (Will it be based on Kubuntu or Ubuntu?)

Contrary to popular opinion there are some of us laptop users who want to do a bit more than run up Facebook and type some letters…

I will also see if I can test Kubuntu further by using the cable connection at work to see if updates enable wireless. Trouble is that my workload is so constant that I cannot afford laptop downtime. And it will take a least a week to get any laptop with a fresh install to be ready for full service. So my test machine will be tested by being made to replicate ALL my work - however slowly - and a mirror of my main machine so I can use the test machine while the real laptop is being software rebuilt. And it will be a rebuild and not an upgrade as…

a) I don't trust upgrades especially with the range of software I use

b) I really have to jump from 32 bit to 64 bit. I can't rely on 32 bit apps being there much longer I figure.

But Mint 17.0 has been a life saver for me up to now. Yup, I am still on 17.0! If it works, why 'fix' it? Soooo, I'm just begging while development is commencing. As I say, will test as soon as a beta comes out for KDE… though I know that's months hence. I may check out the early Cinnamon betas on the test box just to see if they play ball with my hardware.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue May 10, 2016 8:56 am

Well, I *was* going to recommend Fedora 23 KDE, but it looks like they are having issues themselves.

It seems odd to me that kdenlive would be written in such a straight-jacketed way. Maybe it's not that way, but it just seems weird.

Separately, I make no claims with respect to gerbils because — while surely not deliberately — I simply cannot guarantee such things.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Tue May 10, 2016 9:53 am

Kdenlive was always written for KDE. The very name gives the game away: KDE - n - live.
It is now formally part of the KDE apps package and is now part of the KDE release cycle (and version numbered accordingly) which as always the desire of the video editors authors. So it requires the KDE libraries.

Of course, this does not mean one needs the whole of Plasma so you can run it in other DE's but, to get the latest version of Kdenlive REQUIRES the KDE 5 app libraries!

Plus, I don't want to change DE if I can avoid it. I find the QT apps strong and well integrated in KDE, I think Dolphin is to die for, and KDE works the way I think though I have an eye on Cinnamon as a possible backup/alternative.

OK, enough posting. Every post I have made here today has been interrupted by some emergency. It is the height of exam season and the parents are smashing through walls for extra tuition for their kids. Neither my wife nor I can move for work. No time for video editing, or posting and certainly not OS testing. Yes, I have had to draft this reply three times in between the chaos! I am going ot have to concede to the parents here.

If there's free time it's anime watching. No way can I do anything else! I've tried today and it's not working. So I will be offline re: the forums until June. Nothing personal, I just can't engage with anything except anime watching and work (I can watch anime in classes in silence with subtitles when students are doing exercises or exam practise.) All other available resources are going to have to go on work and keeping me and my wife sane! Come May and parents lose rational thought!

So see y'all in June! Now, onto the anime 'erased.'

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone » Tue May 10, 2016 11:04 am

Unfortunately, Plasma 5 does not support independant virtual desktops; which, frankly, is the only reason I'm using it.

Otherwise I'd still be using Cinnamon or (gasp!) Gnome.

After much haranguing, as seen in the above-linked bug page, the developers have decided to return the feature, but there is no schedule for that fix, so I am going to be hanging on o Mint 17 KDE until they fix it.

Which sucks for me because the Bluetooth does work for my Logitech MX Master in Plasma 5...
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue May 10, 2016 2:10 pm

Just as a bit of a diversion... not intending to hijack this thread...

I've never, ever been satisfied with the way KDE renders fonts, whether for UI elements or document contents. At best they look like how Windows renders fonts, and at worst, they don't even look as good as that.

The only Desktop Environment which has ever looked as good as, perhaps better in some cases, Mac OS X, are Gnome and its descendants.

Android, of course, renders fonts perfectly, which makes me happy.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Jedinovice admitting that Linux is not ready for the desktop. I never thought I would see that day. :mrgreen:

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Tue May 10, 2016 3:09 pm

I myself started with Cinnamon, then XFCE, and finally settled with KDE. I have no plans of staying away from it.

I really don't know what the big deal is about this Plasma 5 thing. I just recently tried the latest Kubuntu (16.04) and it's clear it's still not stable, plus it's missing some components that you have to install manually, as I learned later. The driver manager doesn't work, graphics tablet configuration is missing, and I don't know how many more are missing. It also appears to me that they're into commercializing it like the Software Manager is looking like Google store or something.

And I have said my piece on this in an old thread somewhere. Mint devs should take their time before releasing their version of Plasma 5. Right now, I'm okay with the current Plasma in Mint 17.3. Why fix something that is already working?

I'm definitely looking forward to the next Mint KDE release.

palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 18 KDE - please make Plasma 5 work properly in Mint 18

Post by palimmo » Tue May 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Jedinovice wrote:A note to the Mint KDE team - pleeeeaaaassse make Plasma 5 work properly in Mint 18. I beg you!

I will fight for the credit card from my wife for a donation if Mint 18 KDE works on my laptops - I swear! I will explain...

OK, I am a KDE fan. But it's for practical reasons. Not only does KDE Plasma match my workflow, and it's keyboard shortcut control is second to none, but I live and die by 'Kdenlive' which, as the name denotes, is dependent on the KDE libraries. With Mint 17 stuck on KDE 4 I can't get upgrades to Kdenlive. Normally I don't care about the latest and greatest software if it dose what I want but Kdenlive is an exception as new features and effects are useful to me.

In lieu of Mint 18 I went trying out other distros for KDE 5.

Result: Disaster.

KAOS - installed lovely. Ran lovely.

No software. I mean, seriously, no software! And I use LOTS of software - including a manga reader. No Steam, no Wine, Winff, no PPAs Game over.

Opensuse - Couldn't get Tumbleweed to download at all so had to go for the fixed version edition.
Installation was a super-complex sys admin affair. I mean, yes, there is an easy route as long as you just go all defaults and don't try and connect to the network during install. Gave up on network, installed, connected to wireless via KDE - good... then tried to install codecs.

Nothing worked. Even when it claimed codecs were installed nothing would read media.

Gave up. It was hard enough installing Opensuse.

Manjaro - worked. Got to give it credit, everything ran fine. But less software than Mint on tap. Could go Arch install but very busy so looked elsewhere. Still, Manjaro did at least work. But I doubted the software available included my manga reader.

Ah ha! Kubuntu LTS is out with Plasma 5! That will have what I want!

Installed. No wireless on the test machine. I know this is software because every other distro has been tested on the same machine with wireless. I even boot up Kubuntu 15 and that works.

So dead in the water.

But wait… there's Ubuntu itself.

I install. Unity is a nightmare for a power user like myself. Totally designed for the mobile phone user - which is NOT me!

But... I can install KDE alongside it.

It doesn't work. Ubuntu completely refuses to install KDE. Period. It's Unity or nothing. Yes, I read up on the subject follow the guides, dependency upon dependency upon dependency… It's slackware all over again. I even get dependency conflicts!

Gave up.

So…. I am waiting for Mint 18 KDE edition as my last best hope of getting a Linux distro that run KDE Plasma 5 with software that actually works!

I will be testing the beta releases when they become available. Please Mint team.. make it work!

Thanks in advance. I do have faith but you are my last, best hope.
try SolydK Enthusiast's Edition
https://solydxk.com/downloads/community-editions/
LM Cinnamon 64bit & SolydK 64bit

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Mon May 23, 2016 2:49 pm

I'll probably stick with 17.3 Mint KDE for a long time. There seems to be no sense in fixing something that is not broken.

I tried the other latest KDE distros out there out of curiosity. Specifically, my test was related to how well Krita works in them. As I understand, Krita, a painting application, is a KDE project.

Right off the bat, something is missing compared to Mint. The Driver Manager is not working in Kubuntu 16.04 LTS, same thing with Solydk, Extix, and I'm trying to recall the other 2. One thing, which is also important when painting, is the need for a Graphics tablet settings, which is lacking; I also found there are apps that are not listed in the Software Manager even when using the search box. To make long story short, these other KDE alternatives are incomplete or basically in beta stages. The updates didn't improve anything.

So now I have to wonder whether Mint devs could pull it off successfully with this Plasma 5 thing. If not, I'll be sticking with the current version.

Doug B
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Doug B » Mon May 23, 2016 7:29 pm

Habitual wrote:Still more novice than Jedi, I see.
Novice? Don't you mean Wookie? :lol:

<cough!>

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Sun May 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Strange you could not install OpenSuse. I have Leap 42.1 installed in a VM and the installation process is straight forward, I even chose 2 RAID 0 disks, one for / and one for /home. It is a very solid distro and it uses KDE 5, the one you like so much. Kdenlive has version 15.12.3. Is that new enough for you? Must be, Mint uses 0.9.10. Looking at the version numbers I think I am seeing something which does not match together, but these are the version numbers Kdenlive gives me.
Parking2.png
Parking1.png

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sun May 29, 2016 7:16 pm

If you want a rock-solid, daily-driver OS, I'm not sure chasing Plasma (which is still a fairly young project) is such a good idea.

I use Kdenlive extensively as well...under a MATE desktop. You can have your bleeding edge Kdenlive with PPA's too.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Mon May 30, 2016 12:18 am

MartyMint wrote:If you want a rock-solid, daily-driver OS, I'm not sure chasing Plasma (which is still a fairly young project) is such a good idea.
Thanks for the advanced warning. It's a small one, but that's more helpful than providing a link without any personal review. It saves time by not having to download an iso, try it out and disturb the current config, etc, then bring it back to its original state, rinse and repeat. Using CD lives won't really give you an overall assessment of the OS, so it had to be installed on the machine.
I use Kdenlive extensively as well...under a MATE desktop. You can have your bleeding edge Kdenlive with PPA's too.
Mate is not for me, so I'll be open to any positive reviews of other distros with solid KDE.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”