LinuxMint 18 thoughts and discussion...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LinuxMint 18 thoughts and discussion...

Post by Portreve » Tue May 17, 2016 12:22 am

altair4 wrote:
So you install mint-meta-codecs or whatever they'll call it. Big frakking deal.
Always nice to hear from another Battlestar Galactica fan.
Y'know, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I believe Clem owes you a pint or three, altair4, sticking up for him like that. Good show!
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

carpenpa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carpenpa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:32 am

I have installed Mint and other distributions on a 2007 iMac and my new Mid 2015 Macbook Pro and the wireless has always worked from the start - the only time I had an issue was when I "updated" to the recommended driver from the driver manager which stopped it from working!
What I couldn't get to work (and I don't know if I was using Cinnamon 3 or an earlier version) was the right click for the trackpad. It may be because this laptop has a newer force touch trackpad. I am currently using LM Rosa in Parallels because it is a great way to learn and experience loads of installations without really screwing things up.

For me, when I installed Mint as the sole OS on the Macbook, I found using ReFind and a USB drive with OSX on it to be the best way to access OSX when I wanted to. Whatever you do, you can always reboot into OSX with the USB drive attached by pressing alt at startup.

I hope that LM 18 fixes the trackpad, shutdown and suspend issues for these Macbooks :D

eddier
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eddier » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:43 am

Themes, I can install any Theme I like,when I like.

Software(hate "Apps") Its all free,it works,I'm happy.

Cinnamon,I dont use it anyway,its free.

Clems Hardware,his business.

Above all,its free,it works,its the best out there that can see.

I dont like rude people,you are rude.

I am going for my afternoon nap.

The Dark Side
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Dark Side » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Estimated: It's very interesting this discussion thread. I will give some of my opinions, I hope I understand (and apologize for my poor English).....

Good things:
Cinnamon 3.0, I think that how any Graphical Environment, is going to improve with every update. Maybe, do not turn out to be completely polished, but judge best, when Cinnamon 3.1 go out...... Cinnamon ever works best..... I see the progress on the Mate desktop very good too. The Mint's themes, question of tastes only (and they can change very easily).-

The XApps seems to me, a Great Idea, a Fabulous Idea !! Not only for the Linux Mint universe, the good point it's that you can use in any Linux !! Great point..... It can be the best Project of the Linux Mint house (after Cinnamon, of course). The would my only doubt with the XApps, whether they same ones work only in environments GTK (Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE, Gnome) only ??, or if also they work in environments QT (Plasma 5, KDE 4, LXQT) ??

Bad things: The fact that Linux Mint comes with Systemd for default !! Badly point and very bad decision..... Where is the user's freedom ?? Why Linux insists on running Systemd, knowing that is not very reliable and is giving more problems lately ?? It would be wise to have two editions, one with Systemd and other startup with another system init (SysVinit or OpenRC)..... I know it's more work, but it would be take a free choice.-

And the topic from which the new .iso images, come without codecs, also it's another bad decision. Many people were choosing Linux Mint, exactly for doing the life to him very easy, thing that, one throws for land with this decision.....

When there goes out Linux Mint's 18 final version, with Cinnamon and Plasma 5, I will take a look around, but I think will be keep with 17.3. Best Regards.-
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
Manjaro Linux XFCE (OpenRC)
Pisi Linux 2.0 (Beta)

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sikejsudjek » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:32 pm

The codecs just require ticking a box during install. Just means the developers don't have to test multiple iso's, but for the users its still easy to install them.

spandey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spandey » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:09 pm

Can anyone tell me the default RAM usage of Mint 18 cinnamon edition?
Linux Mint 17 - Mate 64 Bit

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:29 pm

Can anyone tell me the default RAM usage of Mint 18 cinnamon edition?
I just did a quick a quick reboot to test. With gnome-system-monitor open it was right around 500mb. 50mb coming from system monitor and about another 50 coming from mintupdate. So you could really disable that from autostart as well if you would rather manually check your updates.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sikejsudjek » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:27 am

I've been using Mint 18 on three machines now. T410 thinkpad laptop, skylake gaming pc, and a dell xeon quad core 490 workstation. All are working very well. No bugs as yet. The dell workstation is flying by comparison with windows 7 and much quicker than mint 17.3.

Things I'd like to see changed in the future to make it easier for ex windows users :
1) Add option to right click desktop to add shortcuts to files or url's (this is in xfce but not nemo). The launcher is not intuitive.
2) On the add printer gui - put a link box to tick to make server visible (I missed the fact it was on the previous window's menu)
3) Try to find a way of installing network printers operating off windows machines that works (this may be a bug in samba or windows 7 but samba/cups refuses to work for me). After a day of troubleshooting I ended up using google chrome cloud print !
4) Easy way to resize all icons on desktop
5) Add a button to the toolbar of nemo to toggle extra pane on or off.

Those are the things I found least intuitive when switching from windows.

dubbchk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dubbchk » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:20 pm

I had 17.3 before.

Linuxmint 18:
Harddisk decrypt before boot-in now with GUI.
Subtitleeditor now work with MOV files! however its limited to RAM sizes? I once loaded up 1.5G MOV, with my 4G RAM machine. It freezed.
RTL8169 is now fixed, I have blazing LAN transfer speed, no longer capped at 1.5MB
apt-get update is now much faster.
Great work.

caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:24 am

Beta eh!
Wow it's running better than some stable releases I know
All looks good to me
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:52 am

sikejsudjek wrote:The codecs just require ticking a box during install. Just means the developers don't have to test multiple iso's, but for the users its still easy to install them.
That's fair enough when you're doing an actual install, where it's a one-off task - but what about when you're simply running the LiveDVD/USB to evaluate the distribution? Are you going to be forced to have a network connection and download X Mb of codecs just to see if your system is compatible with Mint? And do it every time you take the distro for a spin?

The primary reason that I was so happy with Mint and successfully got my wife and father onto it was because "it just worked, right out of the box" on the Live DVD, and I didn't have to play "hunt the codec" like what I had to do with Ubuntu, KDE and Knoppix a few years ago. I could have got using Linux a lot earlier if I wasn't so put off by finding that bog-simple media stuff like playing music and videos that worked first time in Windows ME (ME for $deity's sake!), XP and Vista simply wouldn't function on the same hardware with Linux. My reaction to finding that Mint just worked was an almighty "HALLELUJAH! Someone finally gets it!", and while I understand Clem's reasoning it does feel like a backwards step of sorts when it comes to encouraging take-up of what is a frakkin' good OS.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Ranthe wrote:
sikejsudjek wrote:The codecs just require ticking a box during install. Just means the developers don't have to test multiple iso's, but for the users its still easy to install them.
That's fair enough when you're doing an actual install, where it's a one-off task - but what about when you're simply running the LiveDVD/USB to evaluate the distribution? Are you going to be forced to have a network connection and download X Mb of codecs just to see if your system is compatible with Mint? And do it every time you take the distro for a spin?

The primary reason that I was so happy with Mint and successfully got my wife and father onto it was because "it just worked, right out of the box" on the Live DVD, and I didn't have to play "hunt the codec" like what I had to do with Ubuntu, KDE and Knoppix a few years ago. I could have got using Linux a lot earlier if I wasn't so put off by finding that bog-simple media stuff like playing music and videos that worked first time in Windows ME (ME for $deity's sake!), XP and Vista simply wouldn't function on the same hardware with Linux. My reaction to finding that Mint just worked was an almighty "HALLELUJAH! Someone finally gets it!", and while I understand Clem's reasoning it does feel like a backwards step of sorts when it comes to encouraging take-up of what is a frakkin' good OS.
Live testing is about making sure that drivers are there for the host hardware. Multimedia has nothing to do with that.
My good old PC:
Core2quad@2.33, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6850. 64GB SSD boot Drive, 750GB data dump drive, Mint/Cinnamon edition.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:20 pm

InkKnife wrote: Live testing is about making sure that drivers are there for the host hardware. Multimedia has nothing to do with that.
But not always. Some people (including me) use live systems extensively, and playing multimedia is often involved.

Though my understanding is that Clem is considering including the codecs in all versions, but not actually installing 'em. Instead I guess he would just use .deb files or something and then create a launcher for the user to install 'em if wanted?
If so then it's not too bad after all. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”