Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon vs. Linux Mint 17.3 MATE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
banjodaddy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon vs. Linux Mint 17.3 MATE

Post by banjodaddy »

Hello everyone. I'm needing some advice for my dad's laptop. See, he has extremely little computer knowledge and lives 6.5 hours away from me. His current computer is a Dell Vostro 1520 running Winblows Vista. All he knows about it is that it won't fully boot. Go figure. They have spent tons of money at computer repair shops on this thing, and now that my stepmother bought a new laptop of her own, he wants to give Linux a try. I currently use Linux Mint 17.3 MATE on all my machines, but I'm wondering if Cinnamon would be a little more user friendly. I need something I can set up for him and he can figure out with me being so far away. I'm only at his house about once a year, and want to make sure I have everything I need with me before I go. He mainly is only wanting to browse the Internet, listen to music, transfer pictures and watch DVDs. So, what does everyone think? Which one would you recommend for someone with almost non-existant computer skills?

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon vs. Linux Mint 17.3 MATE

Post by samriggs »

Hey banjodaddy
I did the same thing for my mother who is almost in her 80's
she was used to windoze also, windows xp or 7 I can't remember now.
She was always worried about viruses, snoopers etc..
She just uses it as a glorified typewritter and to email, surf and watch videos etc just basic stuff.
I tried her on cinnamon and mate before it was mate :lol: (Gnome 2)
but then I finally tried xfce on it and she fell in love with it, presto I found the one she liked.
It's basic looks like old windows, put a nice theme in it, let her choose the wallpaper, icons etc, installed everything for her and then made links to everything she wanted to use on the desktop (the panel icons were to small for her), put all the shortcuts in the browser toolbar to her favourite places, now she lives on it and actually installed her grub once from the terminal and updated it (totally blew me away) she said it popped it and she googled it and followed the instructions, I doubled checked as she scared me on that one but she did it right.
I made it nice and simple for her, just click on the icons it takes you where you want to go, now she wants to learn html and javascript to make her own website :shock:
So for her it wound up being xfce she fell in love with.
Simple to use and basic enough to understand and you can make it look nice
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

In userfriendliness, the difference is small. I would set him up with MATE because that's what you use and so you will be able to help him out more easily. For phone support, it's always a bit easier if people use the same system.

I would also make sure that he has Teamviewer and knows how to start it and give you the code so you can take control of his computer to help him.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

Being Vista as his background, I think he would have no problem transitioning to either.
Why not put both on a Live USB Stick and let him choose which one he's comfy with?
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

tbellas3rd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbellas3rd »

They all have very similar interfaces, if you can use one, you can use them all. Its more or less what the computer can handle. I prefer cinnamon but I can jump right in to XFCE and still feel at home.

But Moem has a point in regarding phone support, if you both have the same DE then it would be that much easier to help with support.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

I agree with what samriggs advised: for that old and weak machine, select the lightweight Xfce edition of Linux Mint.

It's not only lightweight, but also very easy to use and simple to understand. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

One note about XFCE in hands of unexperienced user: it is easy to screw up all in the interface of XFCE with only few incorrect mouse moves and clicks.
Should expect questions like "where is my panel now". It will be hard to restore by phone.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

BigEasy wrote:One note about XFCE in hands of unexperienced user: it is easy to screw up all in the interface of XFCE with only few incorrect mouse moves and clicks.
Should expect questions like "where is my panel now". It will be hard to restore by phone.
I agree with this. I was supporting a friend using xfce (on a different distro) and he kept messing his panel up. Moved him over to LMDE Cinnamon and I haven't heard a complaint so far!

My laptop is also a Vista-era machine (Gateway T-1625)--it was running Vista Home Premium IIRC--and is doing great with LMDE Mate. I'd definitely recommend trying MATE on your dad's machine, and if MATE is slow, then trying Xfce. Cinnamon will almost definitely be too much for that machine.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

tbellas3rd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbellas3rd »

I'm running Cinnamon on a ten year old duel core and it gives me no lag, slowdown or any issues what so ever.

System: Host: ******** Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: System: Dell product: Dimension E521
Mobo: Dell model: 0CT103 v: A03 Bios: Dell v: 1.1.4 date: 12/09/2006
CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 8819
clock speeds: max: 2204 MHz 1: 2204 MHz 2: 2204 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM] bus-ID: 03:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 03:00.1
Card-2 NVIDIA MCP51 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:10.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44 v: 2.0 bus-ID: 04:07.0
IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
driver: 8139too v: 0.9.28 port: 9c00 bus-ID: 04:09.0
IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (19.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3320620AS size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 289G used: 53G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 5.37GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 65.5
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 161 Uptime: 8:11 Memory: 767.3/4959.9MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”