Bored with Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Bored with Mint

Post by Arch_Enemy » Wed May 18, 2016 11:38 pm

As some know, I came here after struggling with Arch for a few years...every so often that ONE update would bork the system. I finally said enough and installed Mint..again (Been using it for a while now, here and there; I have it on a disk rescue system for clients trying to get stuff off a munged HDD).

With Arch, there was always something new, some new way to tweak, some way to get something to work, or not, indeed, if you like playing with an OS, Arch is your new toy. But on my work machine that last update gone bad was the last straw.

SO now I have Mint, and all I have is a fairly bullet-proof OS that just seems to work... :(

Kudos to the Mint team...maybe when the next paycheck rolls around I'll get off some ducats and make a donation! I've tried them all, and keep coming back to Mint for some stability in life.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Bored with Mint

Post by Pierre » Thu May 19, 2016 1:50 am

the LinuxMint system is usually quite stable,
but - doesn't have any cutting - edge software - deliberately so.

some OPs find that an issue, when trying to use an particular function
that isn't yet available. :o

that can also apply to hardware issue, where the LinuxMint system is seen as 'not up to date'.
but - that too - is by design.
the MintTeam are also quite cautious in their approach to this version of Linux,
- that too - is by design.

So - Yeah Mint is often Boring & Uninteresting -- by design
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Thu May 19, 2016 5:38 am

Good choice OP. Nothing against Arch, but it just doesn't make sense on a work machine where stability and up-time is paramount.

Maybe Mint 18 will relieve your boredom, although it's never going to be as 'exciting' as Arch. Different strokes for different folks...

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu May 19, 2016 5:56 am

Linux Mint is like a Leopard 2 tank: always keeps running, even when under heavy fire. :mrgreen:

This is mainly because of two things: because it has a sturdy LTS version of Ubuntu as codebase, and because it features a unique protective mechanism in its Update Manager: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Thu May 19, 2016 8:01 am

How are you supposed to rely on your system to work and get things done if it's that unstable?
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Thu May 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Hee hee...amusing responses!

All in all I was quite happy with Arch...until that last update that broke the system.

And, I know about the Mint philosophy...based on Debian, massaged by Ubuntu and stabilized by the Mint team. A fairly winning combination.

When I mention I'm on Linux, people usually say, Oh, yeah I've heard of that. I was thinking of trying it! I tell them get a copy of Mint and run it from the Live DVD for a while. When I first loaded it years ago I was astounded at how it just worked. Every once in a while you get an "oops" (Like, why is LiVES video editor looking for (is it...) "/Home/glenn/sandbox" when installed from the repo? But it's easily overcome.

The one thing I like about Arch and other like Gentoo is that the package is compiled on YOUR computer, taking into account CPU quirks, etc. But any issues are usually easily handled by running an app from the Command Line (there's that nasty ol' "Command Line" again!) but it is an excellent way of troubleshooting, and not getting a "32 bit application can not be run under DOS" error ;)

I'm not a programmer, and every once in a while something gets a bit over my head, but if you Keep Calm and Read the Output you can usually either figure it out, or find someone who can.

All around win-win!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun May 22, 2016 10:14 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:Hee hee...amusing responses!

All in all I was quite happy with Arch...until that last update that broke the system.

And, I know about the Mint philosophy...based on Debian, massaged by Ubuntu and stabilized by the Mint team. A fairly winning combination.

When I mention I'm on Linux, people usually say, Oh, yeah I've heard of that. I was thinking of trying it! I tell them get a copy of Mint and run it from the Live DVD for a while. When I first loaded it years ago I was astounded at how it just worked. Every once in a while you get an "oops" (Like, why is LiVES video editor looking for (is it...) "/Home/glenn/sandbox" when installed from the repo? But it's easily overcome.

The one thing I like about Arch and other like Gentoo is that the package is compiled on YOUR computer, taking into account CPU quirks, etc. But any issues are usually easily handled by running an app from the Command Line (there's that nasty ol' "Command Line" again!) but it is an excellent way of troubleshooting, and not getting a "32 bit application can not be run under DOS" error ;)

I'm not a programmer, and every once in a while something gets a bit over my head, but if you Keep Calm and Read the Output you can usually either figure it out, or find someone who can.

All around win-win!
Arch and other distros just take up so much time, I abandoned them all and went back to Mint and Xubuntu. "Just works" is worth more to me than "shiny and new". The nerd in us all loves to have the latest version of things, but there is always a chance things won't work right anymore. And then how do you get things done?
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Sun May 22, 2016 10:44 am

You are not the only one who thinks like this: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=204361

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun May 22, 2016 2:56 pm

HI "Arch_Enemy", and Anyone Else Interested in this,

If you have been around computers and their operating systems for awhile, like I have, they all become overly familiar fairly quickly and can be considered "boring" by some people. But, as everyone else has been stating, you want a computer system that works and is stable for typical everyday computing in personal and or business life, like Linux Mint, but can also provide access to the things that you are interested in and love to do where a computer system can help with that.

Of course it helps a lot if you have a computer(s) powerful enough to handle whatever that may be that you want to do with them.

I do not find Linux Mint boring at all, because you can always install some application for practically anything that you may be interested in, or to learn and try something new. If you are an experienced computer person, and like to have total control over pretty much every aspect of your desktop environment, then I would suggest using Linux Mint KDE where you can do that. I have been using Linux Mint KDE for over 2 years, and there is always something new that it can do that I did not know it could do.

And, then there is this most excellent Linux Mint forum, where we can all help each other, or try to help each other, to learn more about their computers and Linux Mint systems, to hopefully improve each others lives, at least with computing anyway, which is now an integral part of most of our lives. There is usually something interesting going on in here.

I am really looking forward to the new Linux Mint 18 because of the newer updated applications, more capabilities, etc... Yet, the current Linux Mint systems are wonderful, powerful, and stable right now.

Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer » Sun May 22, 2016 7:01 pm

I have computers I use everyday and I want them work without problems.

I also have computers with other Linux distros on just to jack with / break / download different software just to see how it works.
Sometimes I go into the terminal and enter different commands and see what I find.

Yeah there is always something I find in Linux that keeps me from being board.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon May 23, 2016 5:50 pm

The Old Timer wrote:Yeah there is always something I find in Linux that keeps me from being board.
Could it be this? :lol:
The Old Timer wrote:Sometimes I go into the terminal and enter different commands and see what I find.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer » Tue May 24, 2016 6:26 am

Fred Barclay wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:Yeah there is always something I find in Linux that keeps me from being board.
Could it be this? :lol:
The Old Timer wrote:Sometimes I go into the terminal and enter different commands and see what I find.
Yes I believe it could be the reason.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue May 24, 2016 8:11 am

phd21 wrote:HI "Arch_Enemy", and Anyone Else Interested in this,

If you have been around computers and their operating systems for awhile, like I have, they all become overly familiar fairly quickly and can be considered "boring" by some people. But, as everyone else has been stating, you want a computer system that works and is stable for typical everyday computing in personal and or business life, like Linux Mint, but can also provide access to the things that you are interested in and love to do where a computer system can help with that.

Of course it helps a lot if you have a computer(s) powerful enough to handle whatever that may be that you want to do with them.

I do not find Linux Mint boring at all, because you can always install some application for practically anything that you may be interested in, or to learn and try something new. If you are an experienced computer person, and like to have total control over pretty much every aspect of your desktop environment, then I would suggest using Linux Mint KDE where you can do that. I have been using Linux Mint KDE for over 2 years, and there is always something new that it can do that I did not know it could do.

And, then there is this most excellent Linux Mint forum, where we can all help each other, or try to help each other, to learn more about their computers and Linux Mint systems, to hopefully improve each others lives, at least with computing anyway, which is now an integral part of most of our lives. There is usually something interesting going on in here.

I am really looking forward to the new Linux Mint 18 because of the newer updated applications, more capabilities, etc... Yet, the current Linux Mint systems are wonderful, powerful, and stable right now.

The only problem I have with KDE is that it's so heavy! Yeah, there's a LOT of stuff, but look what has to be installed when you set it up.

I've always been a fan of "lightweight" desktops, but LXDE and XCFE (or, is that XFCE? darn acronyms...) are a little bit TOO light. I used to use KDE a lot, but then played with Gnome in the G2 days and learned to like it. Then they came out with the 'tiles' long before Micro$oft started playing with it. I used to spend hours or DAYS to get G3 to act like G2. Sometimes I'd get it to click, other times I'd just reload the whole darn thing. ;) Cinnamon was good but has it's own irritating quirks, then I heard of Mate. BINGO!

As far as tweaking, Texstar has done a real good job with the Control Panel in PCLinuxOS. Now, the one problem I have with PCLOS is that his goal is to make it TOO darn stable! :roll: Talk about BORING! It just works 99.9% of the time. After he took out the nonfree codecs, etc it became a bit more interesting, but I like to push one button sometimes and have what I need right there. Mint 18 might be a disappointment; however they say they are going to make the codecs a "task", so it should be an easy install.

However, when M$ would come out with a new version of Windows I'd be an 'expert' in a matter of a few weeks to a couple of months. I've been using Linux for about 12 years now and still am amazed at how much I don't know! ;)

Used to be an old tagline floating around in the BBS days that said "Real programmers use "copy con:program.exe" Yup, that what it feels like sometimes...

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue May 24, 2016 8:23 am

Mr.October wrote:You are not the only one who thinks like this: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=204361
HAHAHA...good read! He must have a great mind! ;)

I had the same complaint with PCLinuxOS as well. Like Mint it works out of the box. But there are a couple packages that seem to just drop out after a while, and I got tired of fixing them. I do use it on a laptop I use for work. It's another one that just works.

As someone said about the PCLOS, saying it's "boring" is really a compliment to the developers, for just making it work.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Wed May 25, 2016 4:59 am

This is why i get friends onto Mint. They don't want to troubleshoot anything, i don't want to help them troubleshoot anything, and Mint just allows that. :mrgreen:
Donate to your favourite distros!

WhiskyManII
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WhiskyManII » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:29 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:As some know, I came here after struggling with Arch for a few years...every so often that ONE update would bork the system. I finally said enough and installed Mint..again (Been using it for a while now, here and there; I have it on a disk rescue system for clients trying to get stuff off a munged HDD).

With Arch, there was always something new, some new way to tweak, some way to get something to work, or not, indeed, if you like playing with an OS, Arch is your new toy. But on my work machine that last update gone bad was the last straw.

SO now I have Mint, and all I have is a fairly bullet-proof OS that just seems to work... :(

Kudos to the Mint team...maybe when the next paycheck rolls around I'll get off some ducats and make a donation! I've tried them all, and keep coming back to Mint for some stability in life.
That's a new one, your problem is that there is no problem! That's funny. Glad you're here and not with Arch, good people are always welcome.

I just bought a used Lenovo x1 Carbon thinkpad with Windows 7 installed. First thing I did was dump W7, load LM with Cinnamon - expecting to have problems - and everything worked perfectly. No tweaking needed. The OS works with it flawlessly. Never had a computer that worked right out of the box. So if you're looking for something to fix, stay away from Thinkpads. :D

Darn, spoke too soon. The battery is in bad shape. Looks like I get to do something after all.

Whisky
Life is better with Cinnamon on Top

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Arch is quite reliable IF you are highly skilled in Linux. Most of us would be much happier with 'boring' old Mint.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:31 pm

Ah, the beautiful boredom of Mint.
I am 100% in favor of the Mint approach. Slow and steady, iterative not disruptive, new technologies gracefully woven into the desktop without intruding on the user, letting others break new trails and sticking to the tried and tested.
I love that the "Mint way" is not about headline making "innovations" like some distro I might name.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:49 am

Well, this is as good a place as any:

The Magic 5th update, and the system is still rock-solid. Bored as heck that I don't have to open up from the jump in terminal mode and go in and tweak stuff after the update. This means all I can do is just keep working as normal. Really now, how boring can it get????

As one person mentioned, I was able to overcome most issues, but I am not a Linux expert by any means. I've been using it for a long time, but don't have time to read all the documentation every time there is a hiccup. I love playing with operating systems, and I usually kno0w just enough to get out of trouble, but now I just don't have the time to devote to it.

I used to be a real whiz with Windows, and when I worked at a HellDesk they usually routed the Windows (3.11 and then W95) and Novell questions to me. I actually started using Linux both out of curiosity with this "new" (1998) operating system, and that I didn't want to pay $600 for Photoshop, when there were 2 perfectly good replacements for it free in Linux. I threw in the towel 3-4 times before finding SuSE because of hardware issues. SuSE was also quite stable until SuSE 10 or so. Then on to Mint for a while and then Arch sounded "interesting". Arch sure is interesting, and I did learn a LOT, but after my supervisor complained I was having "too many computer issues" it was time to stop experimenting and get something steady for everyday use.

It's now, what, 3 months? 4 months? and I haven't missed a job yet because of OS issues.

Darn it...:)

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:01 pm

You can always add a partition, install the distro you want and play with it. That's what I've been doing when I want to check out some distro featured on distrowatch news. Or when I get bored with the one in my machine.

At one point I installed all the 4 flavors of Mint in the same machine alongside Windows. But nowadays a maximum of three is my limit. I'll remove one and install another if I want to check out one. I've gotten so confident that I no longer make any backup of my main Linux partition. Somehow I always managed to put things back in their stable state. Right now I have Mint 17.3 KDE and the new Mint 18 Cinnamon.

Few days ago I revisited Zorin, which was touted as a lightweight WinXP-like distro. I installed it in a dual-monitor machine. I tried to make the monitor on the right side to be the main display. There was no facility to do it. No option in the Display settings. None. I searched and found virtually nothing on Zorin. Everything is Linux mint there, Ubuntu here, Mint everywhere, very few on Zorin. I deleted the partition as soon as Mint 18 Cinnamon was released.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”