My journey with Linux Mint 18 Beta (edit X)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
afineman
Level 2
Level 2

My journey with Linux Mint 18 Beta (edit X)

Post by afineman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Greetings All

First off my disclaimer: I am a nobody in the Linux world, I'm a hack at this stuff and I use a computer (and hence my satisfaction ) for the basic stuff. This is going to be installed in my HTPC in a few minutes and I'll edit as things go, now with that being said, let's start.

Downloaded, made the USB live disk (all using 17.3) and did a live boot: Booted fine, internet worked, system monitor loaded and Netspeed loaded, below is my inxi -Fxz. I'll swap my SSD and be back when loaded. (all updates will be below the sys specs) NOTE the below inxi-Fxz is before I load the Beta.

Code: Select all

htpc@htpc-AM1M-S2H ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: htpc-AM1M-S2H Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: AM1M-S2H v: x.x Bios: American Megatrends v: F2 date: 06/20/2014
CPU:       Quad core AMD Athlon 5350 APU with Radeon R3 (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 16369
           clock speeds: max: 2050 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 1200 MHz 4: 2050 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini [Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series] bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1280x800@59.8hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series
           GLX Version: 4.5.13399 - CPC 15.201.1151 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 10 Mbps duplex: half mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 620.1GB (24.3% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: SSD2SC120G3LA726 size: 120.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5000AAKS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 104G used: 66G (67%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.38GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 13.5C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 169 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 881.7/6855.0MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28
EDIT #1: No issues, loaded as expected, updating as I type (DSL 3 Mbs speed), next steep all web stuff.

Edit #2: Bookmark came in no problem as well as AdBlocker and Title bar add ons as well as weather and time config. Update went slower than my connection speed (busy server I guess), updates always maxed out my connection speed. next HTPC stuff.

Edit #3: loaded Chromium plus Hola extension (you figure what this is for) All worked, loaded Chrome browser with Netflix and Amazon prime, all worked. Next is the media server stuff (Plex)

Edit #4: Plex loaded, online channels worked OK, but we may have a show stopper here, Kafiene (I use this because I could never get Kodi, mythTV, etc to work on my system due to my own inabilities) I use for my dual tuners (for over the air broadcast recordings) is not working. Scans channels fine, identifies the stations fine, but only 1 sec of audio and no picture. Will see if I can ferrite out the problem (ie. dependencies) but if I can't, I will have to pass on Mint 18.

If I find/resolve the problem, I'll post another update, if not have a great evening ALL

AFM
Last edited by afineman on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: My journey with Mint Mate 18 Beta (edit 4)

Post by Pierre » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:13 pm

you are a Nobody in the World of Windows,
but you are a Somebody in the Linux world.
:)

your journey will go a long way,
and you will wonder just how you managed to do al of that stuff.
8)

I'm still waiting for LM18 to go final,
& then will try it out in a VB for a few weeks.
before writing it to some real PCs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: My journey with Mint Mate 18 Beta (edit 4)

Post by amethyst_igor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:26 am

The gist of your message is, you have a technical problem with Kafienne, and are about to quit using LM because of that.
This message should be relocated to a technical forum. This is just a chit-chat forum about Linux Mint.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

cogier
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint 18 beta installation observations

Post by cogier » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Installation of Mint 18 beta Cinnamon 64 bit on an Acer E1-570 with an Intel i3, 6GB memory and a 256 SSD. I got the ISO from <nasty mod removed link, because Mint M ... available>. This was a clean install, no other OS installed (Is there another OS?) :twisted: .

Installed without issue, Wi-Fi found, codecs installed, the 'Remove USB and press Enter' message came up OK. All updates applied.

I wanted to test the default selection for programs so tried to play a DVD with 'Video' and it would not get past the start screen, I could not get it to play. I switched to VLC and the DVD was fine. I have always thought that VLC should be the default.

I tried an mp3 song with 'Video' and the sound was terrible. I switched to Banshee and the sound was fine but Banshee crashed if I tried to import media from folders. I have tried this several times and Banshee crashes every time.

I was adjusting the volume with the mouse pad and the volume went down when I moved my finger toward the screen, this to me was the wrong way and I discovered that in the Touchpad settings the 'Reverse Scrolling' was set to 'On'. Is this intended?

Everything else I tried worked including Dropbox, Skype, Gambas, HPLIP, Chromium with pepperflash, nemo-image-converter, Seamonkey and Cheese.

I am aware that this is beta software and that is why I am noting my observations.

I wish the Mint team all the best for this latest version.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: merged to this topic; one topic discussing the beta before it has been released is enough

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: My journey with Linux Mint 18 Beta (edit 4)

Post by killer de bug » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:39 pm

afineman wrote:

System:    Host: htpc-AM1M-S2H Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Am I missing something here. I don't read LM18.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:58 pm

I was adjusting the volume with the mouse pad and the volume went down when I moved my finger toward the screen, this to me was the wrong way and I discovered that in the Touchpad settings the 'Reverse Scrolling' was set to 'On'. Is this intended?
This is the new default in Mint18. I'm not a fan and shut it off. When the beta is actually announced be sure to give feedback on the blog post. It helps to decide what settings people prefer when it comes to deciding defaults.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:37 am

killer de bug wrote:
afineman wrote:

Am I missing something here. I don't read LM18.
Somebody posted a message about a completely different topic with no relation to the OP. :)
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

afineman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by afineman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:07 am

All

Sorry about the confusion, I posted my inxi Fxz before I loaded the beta. I posted that so everyone could see what I was going to load the beta on to (I edited the post to make that clearer).

I'm still running Mint Mate 18 on my HTPC and so far the only thing I'm having problems with is Kaffeine and it is a weird problem too, maybe if I give the details maybe someone can guide me.

Kaffeine scanned and found all the channels.
When trying to view a live channel, I only get 2 seconds of audio and no video.
When checking the EPG, all the channels are populated with the program guide.
It will record from both tuners @ the same time.
VLC will play these recorded channels, but Kaffeine will only give 2 sec of audio and no picture.
Me-TV works, I can view the channels live as well as record them.

I Googled the heck out of this problem but to no avail, I suspect something is missing with Kaffeine so it works with LM 18 or there are files Kaffeine rely on that are not included with LM 18.

My work around to watch live TV is (because I'm not a fan of Me-TV and a creature of habit ), tell Kaffeine to record that channel, wait 1 minute, and use VLC to play the file that is being recorded.

Hope that clears things up.

AFM

ps. Mint Mate 18 loads faster than LM 17.3 ever did.

gromitsmaster
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18 Beta is Tops

Post by gromitsmaster » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi

All

New Mint 18 Beta is really good, but is it possible to run from a usb, i mean install it to a usb
and not a live usb

Thanks

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:35 pm

afineman wrote:Greetings All

First off my disclaimer: I am a nobody in the Linux world, I'm a hack at this stuff and I use a computer (and hence my satisfaction ) for the basic stuff. This is going to be installed in my HTPC in a few minutes and I'll edit as things go, now with that being said, let's start.

Edit #4: Plex loaded, online channels worked OK, but we may have a show stopper here, Kafiene (I use this because I could never get Kodi, mythTV, etc to work on my system due to my own inabilities) I use for my dual tuners (for over the air broadcast recordings) is not working. Scans channels fine, identifies the stations fine, but only 1 sec of audio and no picture. Will see if I can ferrite out the problem (ie. dependencies) but if I can't, I will have to pass on Mint 18.

If I find/resolve the problem, I'll post another update, if not have a great evening ALL

AFM
Just a question, and regardless of what the forum header says, it may be stupid: did you load the codecs? Remember, 18 is shipping without codecs and you have to do a meta to load them.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:42 pm

If I remember correctly the installer offers the option to install the codecs.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sikejsudjek » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:57 pm

Kaffeine is working ok on my 18 beta with a usb dvb stick. Did you check the box for install codecs ?

afineman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by afineman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Evening All

After reading the above posts, I wondered if I had done something wrong (this is possible), So, I got a copy of Mint Cinnamon 18 and did a fresh install.

Well the same thing with Kaffeine using Cinnamon as I had with Mate, and yes I did select to install the codecs during each install.

When I read sikejsudjek post, I tried to install Kaffeine on the live USB, didn't work (and yes I installed the codecs here too) the same thing 2 sec audio and no picture.

I'll put this (Mint 18) on the back burner for now (for my HTPC brcause this is the only computer in the house that has tuners) and go back to 17.3. I'm sure this won't be the last time this happens, so when this happens to a smarter person than I a solution will be found.

Cheers and here's to you All (as I lift a pint towards the screen), Happy Minting

AFM

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:00 pm

Kaffiene is a KDE programme, no?

If so, then these instructions by phd21 concerning another KDE programme on Cinnamon might be helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=223243&p=1175701#p1175701

At any rate, it applies for Mint 17.x, so you might have to take the same steps for Mint 18. :)

Cheers!
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 pm

afineman wrote:Evening All

After reading the above posts, I wondered if I had done something wrong (this is possible), So, I got a copy of Mint Cinnamon 18 and did a fresh install.

Well the same thing with Kaffeine using Cinnamon as I had with Mate, and yes I did select to install the codecs during each install.

When I read sikejsudjek post, I tried to install Kaffeine on the live USB, didn't work (and yes I installed the codecs here too) the same thing 2 sec audio and no picture.

I'll put this (Mint 18) on the back burner for now (for my HTPC brcause this is the only computer in the house that has tuners) and go back to 17.3. I'm sure this won't be the last time this happens, so when this happens to a smarter person than I a solution will be found.

Cheers and here's to you All (as I lift a pint towards the screen), Happy Minting

AFM
And a pint to you, too. Stout, I hope...
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

afineman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by afineman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 pm

All, The plot thickens

Below is the Info of a different computer I loaded Mint 18 on and with this computer Kaffeine works perfectly, go figure.

It scans the channels, populates the EPG, plays live TV, records live TV and plays those recorded files.

in the past (17, 17.1 17.2 and 17.3), I always did a fresh install on my HTPC updated and installed Kaffeine with no problems (no extra steps needed to make Kaffeine work).

I'm using the same copy of the Cinnamon ISO I used last night on the HTPC. It appears I'm dealing with a AMD vs. Intel issue.

I've always been a AMD fan (low cost), maybe it is time for me to rethink that choice.

Well it is Friday, I'm hoisting pints, so it's time to call it a night (posting wise, it is never a good idea to "Buzz Post").

Later All

AFM

System:    Host: mini-GB-BXBT-2807 Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.5 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   Mobo: GIGABYTE model: MZBAYAP-00 v: 1.x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: F3 date: 06/18/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N2807 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 6323
           clock speeds: max: 2165 MHz 1: 1195 MHz 2: 1612 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x768@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-21-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rtl8723be port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (8.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 106G used: 6.0G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 66.0C mobo: N/A
Info:      Processes: 171 Uptime: 1:14 Memory: 914.1/3845.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.3.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35 

afineman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by afineman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Happy Friday ALL :lol:

I swapped my CPU and MB (see below) with another AMD set up, and ether this new set up is perfect for running Kaffeine or in the past week (via upgrades) this problem with Mint 18 and Kaffeine was solved.

I've been running Mint Mate 18 exclusively since Tuesday on my HTPC. All my media applications work ( haven't set Plex up yet, it worked before so I expect it to work again).

I got bored yesterday and remembering this CPU and MB was great for over clocking, so I went for it. CPU is a 2.9 G, ram is 1600, now over clocked to 3.6G and ram is at 1880 + (don't recall the exact #). So I'm running a Beta on a 20% over clocked set up and it is ROCK solid :D .

The only thing I'm a little bummed about is CPU Z, CPU G nor I-Nex won't run (I'm sure as time goes by this will be resolved), this is only a very minor issue.

Regardless, I'll be sticking with Mate 18 and when the time comes, just update to the stable version.

Time to lift some pints (Irish Stout, home brewed).

AFM

System:    Host: htpc-MS-7786 Kernel: 4.4.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: MATE 1.14.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: A55M-P33 (MS-7786) v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: V2.0 date: 02/04/2013
CPU:       Quad core AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 28748
           clock speeds: max: 3593 MHz 1: 3593 MHz 2: 3593 MHz 3: 3593 MHz 4: 3593 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6550D] bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@59.81hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD SUMO (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-24-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 10 Mbps duplex: half mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 620.1GB (4.3% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5000AAKS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 103G used: 18G (19%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 26.9C mobo: N/A gpu: 22.0
Info:      Processes: 214 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 647.7/7460.7MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.3.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35 

hawkeye315
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hawkeye315 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:25 am

JosephM wrote:
This is the new default in Mint18. I'm not a fan and shut it off. When the beta is actually announced be sure to give feedback on the blog post. It helps to decide what settings people prefer when it comes to deciding defaults.
Doesn't this have to do with adapting to that "natural scrolling" setting that OSX uses? I have to say, after the first week of using natural scrolling on my 17.2 touchpad settings, I really like it much better. That being said, it doesn't make quite as much sense with a mouse. I do think LM should have maybe only kept it in the trackpad settings.
Linux Mint 18.2 XFCE | HP Probook 450 G1

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”