Best Practices for User Previously Used to Macs

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Best Practices for User Previously Used to Macs

Post by Kendoori » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:24 pm

I have a friend who I want to hook up with a computer, who steadfastly maintains that he must have a Mac. Albeit he can't afford a Mac. I have a fairly well equipped Thinkpad X201 that I am going to put a fresh SSD into and can't imagine that he would not be able actually be "converted" and productive via my castaway. I did think about perhaps getting him a cheap Chromebook, as this would be much easier to support, or perhaps take the Thinkpad and put Neverware's CloudReady (Chromium OS)...I do worry if I ship the machine to my friend, I will be stuck supporting him...

For any of you who have done this (somehow dragged over a Mac user), I'd appreciate some tips. We won't be migrating any data, and the guy does have an old iPhone 4 that he uses...

I personally use Cinnamon, but would be open to any suggestions as to best way to set this up...

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Best Practices for User Previously Used to Macs

Post by Moem » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Since you may be supporting him, give him the same DE that you are using. Cinnamon is easy enough to get used to, and easy on the eyes... Mac users like that kind of thing. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cholq » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:34 pm

This isn't the most mint-centric response, but if similarity to OSX is really important to him, elementaryOS is supposed to have a desktop that is very similar to the Mac environment that your friend might be used to. I haven't used it myself, so this is just 2nd hand knowledge. Take it for what it is...

If you really are looking to stay with mint, then I would agree that Cinnamon would be the best available DE for a Mac fan.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:40 pm

It depends what he needs. If he's iTunes centric and relies on a bunch of apps to interact with his iPhone, linux may be a major headache.

What does he use the machine for?

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:43 pm

BTW, Cinnamon with 'Cairo Dock' installed has a very 'MacOs' aesthetic- plus it's less noddy than Elementary IMO.

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:50 pm

MintBean wrote:It depends what he needs. If he's iTunes centric and relies on a bunch of apps to interact with his iPhone, linux may be a major headache.

What does he use the machine for?
Writing, web surfing, etc... I think the iTunes thing he could live without. I'm going to add him on to my Spotify Account :-)

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:51 pm

MintBean wrote:BTW, Cinnamon with 'Cairo Dock' installed has a very 'MacOs' aesthetic- plus it's less noddy than Elementary IMO.
So if you install Cairo, do you put the bottom panel at the top?

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:55 pm

Yes, I found bottom panel at the top to be the best thing when I used Cairo.

For what your friend wants to do on the machine I can't see any stumbling blocks with setting him up with Mint and I think Cinnamon is the way to go. As someone else said, being that you use Cinnamon, it's a win-win if you ever get asked for technical support.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”