Windows 7 Features that are not in Mint, But then I Adapted

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sphyrth

Windows 7 Features that are not in Mint, But then I Adapted

Post by sphyrth »

1. Super Bar + Start Menu
Super Bar.png
Personally, I think that the "Super Bar + Start Menu" is the only real innovation Microsoft made, so I just didn't understand why they kept butchering it after. I used to miss its dock-like attributes and capabilities (And being on the Cinnamon Desktop, I know that there's an Applet that imitates this). But over time, I just got used to the Panel, and adjusted my workflow accordingly.

2. Run Box
Run Box.png
Yup. I open applications using the Run Box since it works like a One-line Terminal-command Application Opener. This one happens to be the most difficult to get out of my system since I don't double click on icons. The habit was only removed when I watched a few videos of people trolling Microsoft-tech Scammers with their Linux Distros who want them to reach out for the Super+R keys.

3. Ribbon Interface
Ribbon.png
To be fair, this one is only for Microsoft Office (and even if it's for the sake of consistency, I personally didn't like Microsoft importing the whole thing to their OS). Unlike many people, I can adjust myself between the interfaces of MSOffice and LibreOffice, and (since this IS a subjective post) I think that the Ribbon Interface is better. But I just got so used to LibreOffice that my workflow heavily needs it. Also, the Ribbon has so become synonymous with Microsoft that I might've become allergic to it.

Concerning #1: It's a Cinnamon option that I might no longer bother myself with.
Concerning #2: Meh. Mint is Open-source. Want that feature in? Code!
Concerning #3: I know that I said that the Ribbon Interface is better, but I want Mint to have a consistent interface that says "I'm not Windows!" - I might even grumble if this would become optional in Mint. But hey, who knows if I change my mind?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows 7 Features that are not in Mint, But then I Adapted

Post by rene »

As to 2; in Cinnamon try Alt+F2.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Yep Alt+F2 works. Try using the tab key for completion options. I don't know how much it's developed anymore but you could also try a program called "synapse" which allows all kinds of fun stuff from a run type dialog.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

You guys just spoiled me with that one! Now my post is basically made null and void. :lol:
Thanks for that tip.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

rene wrote:As to 2; in Cinnamon try Alt+F2.
This also works in MATE. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

The default shortcut isn't ergonomic, even if I can adjust to it... just my little nitpick.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "sphyrth", and everyone else,

Regarding your #1, you already pointed out that there are applets, widgets, and desklets, and various key combinations to show "Windows List", all open windows per desktop. In KDE, it is just called "Windows List" widget.

Regarding your #2 "Run" box, "Alt+F2" also works in Linux Mint KDE to bring up the "run command" box,

And, you can always create another shortcut (key mapping) to it that is more ergonomic for you.

I do not know about the other editions of Linux Mint, but in KDE, the "Run command" option (Krunner) does way more than the MS Windows counterpart could do, and it is configurable. Look at all the options available.

Hope this helps ...
Alt_F2_screen0sm.jpg
Alt_F2_screen1sm.jpg
Alt_F2_screen2sm.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

1. Super Bar + Start Menu
Better use XFCE with its WhiskerMenu and DockBarX to mimick (and improve on) the Super Bar !
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

phd21 wrote:Regarding your #2...you can always create another shortcut (key mapping)
Yeah, I know. It's just Alt+F2 = Default is my only wee little issue. And I'm hesitant to request the Mint Team to make it Super+R because it's the usual way of trolling those so-called "Microsoft Support Technicians".
GoustiFruit wrote:Better use XFCE with its WhiskerMenu and DockBarX to mimick (and improve on) the Super Bar !
Well! I didn't know that such configurability extends up to XFCE. I'll be sticking to Cinnamon, however.

The world of Linux catches me off-guard from time to time. And your comments just brought me to one of those moments.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "sphyrth",
phd21 wrote:Regarding your #2...you can always create another shortcut (key mapping)
sphyrth wrote:Yeah, I know. It's just Alt+F2 = Default is my only wee little issue. And I'm hesitant to request the Mint Team to make it Super+R because it's the usual way of trolling those so-called "Microsoft Support Technicians".
You can assign the "Super (Win or Meta) key + R" to bring up the 'Run Command" right now. I don't know what the Cinnamon "Run" program command name is called, maybe "run-dialog"?, but you should be able to go to "shortcuts and gestures" to change or add that key combo.

Maybe it is just me, but I think "Alt+F2" is actually more ergonomic than "Super (Win or Meta) Key +R"....

Hope this helps ...
GlobalShortcuts_RunCommand1sm.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

phd21 wrote:Maybe it is just me, but I think "Alt+F2" is actually more ergonomic than "Super (Win or Meta) Key +R"
I never actually understood this until I actually looked at my keyboard. I feel so dumb to find out that there are actually two Super Keys. Now THIS I can adjust to. No need to change the default anymore.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

sphyrth wrote:1. Super Bar + Start Menu
Back in the 90s, there was a company called Now Software which produced a suite of programs for Classic Mac OS, one of which was "GoMac". It gave Classic Mac OS a Windows 95 -> 2000-like task bar and Start Menu. It was, however, even more organizeable and nicer than what Microsoft put into their own OS. It was one of the few things I felt Microsoft ever actually did right, and I used to use the heck out of that.

Eventually, when I migrated over to Mac OS X, that was all lost, and I have to say I was never as much a fan of the Dock as I was the task bar.

So far, the only other DEs I've seen get it right are Gnome 2.x, Mate, and Cinnamon.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

I think that the Ribbon Interface is better.
The first time I saw the Ribbon Interface all I could think of was that Microsoft was changing something...just to change something. To me, the RI is so counter-intuitive. There are times at work when I'm using Excel or Word and I'm clicking through the ribbon looking for something because where Microsoft put it just doesn't make any sense. Menus make much more sense because the format menu holds the commands to format a font, etc. Not to mention that a company has an MS Office extension that has the old menu system on a Menu ribbon tab. I wish I had it.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

TooMuchTime wrote:The first time I saw the Ribbon Interface all I could think of was that Microsoft was changing something...just to change something.
That was a great foresight. Well, I personally see it as a glorified menu bar, with all of the options spread out horizontally. I could've lived with it until they started importing it to the whole OS. It was then that it became obvious that they're creating a UI standard that makes it difficult for users to switch OS.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

TooMuchTime wrote:The first time I saw the Ribbon Interface all I could think of was that Microsoft was changing something...just to change something. To me, the RI is so counter-intuitive. There are times at work when I'm using Excel or Word and I'm clicking through the ribbon looking for something because where Microsoft put it just doesn't make any sense. Menus make much more sense because the format menu holds the commands to format a font, etc. Not to mention that a company has an MS Office extension that has the old menu system on a Menu ribbon tab. I wish I had it.
I've never developed any fondness for the ribbon interface. For one, it's taking precious vertical space especially when you're using your laptop. Monitors are not getting any taller, they're getting wider. Internet browsers don't even have visible menus, they're hidden somewhere. But that's too extreme. (It's all for the purpose of saving vertical space.)

I can see, however, how they're trying to come up with another way of organizing the menus. It may be that they're trying to accommodate symbols or icons. Unfortunately, the end result is not exactly ergonomic because your mouse travels in long, sharp zig-zagging motion.

In reality, most users want one-click buttons for the most used tools or features and not have to wade through a maze of menus: Pull down menus on top and first row; toolbar with most needed icons on second row like new, open, save/save as, undo, etc.; properties, formatting, etc. on third row, just like how most desktop apps have been for years. Bottom line is users want less clicks and less distances on mouse travels.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Portreve wrote:Back in the 90s, there was a company called Now Software which produced a suite of programs for Classic Mac OS, one of which was "GoMac". It gave Classic Mac OS a Windows 95 -> 2000-like task bar and Start Menu. It was, however, even more organizeable and nicer than what Microsoft put into their own OS. It was one of the few things I felt Microsoft ever actually did right, and I used to use the heck out of that.

Eventually, when I migrated over to Mac OS X, that was all lost, and I have to say I was never as much a fan of the Dock as I was the task bar...
:mrgreen: I'm amazed! There was the Apple menu on the top left - freely configurable. That was it I missed in OSX... :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”