Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Cicero86
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint Mobile OS ?

Post by Cicero86 »

Destry wrote:Got my second HI12 tablet last night! :mrgreen:
I know this is very late but: Congrats! :lol:

I also want to tell you I'm following your other original thread.

I'm so excited about it and I sincerely wish you success!!! :)
Please note that English isn't my first language. :)
Pleased to meet you

Will be on Mint 18.2 MATE 64bit soon

Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

Getting ready to install the released version of Cinnamon 18 this afternoon replacing the beta version. Lets see if the rest of the hardware works with it. :D
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I can chime in here as a current SailfishOS user and I can tell you from personal experience that despite it still being an OS somewhat in its infancy, in the (near) 2 years that I've actually been using it, it's come on in leaps and bounds. It's probably fair to say it's still not quite ready for the general public, and by that I mean that rather like Linux, you have to want to tinker now and again, or be prepared to 'learn' along the way. My experience of the OS is that while there is a learning curve (it's very different from Android, and I'll never own an ifoney) once you've had a week of use, you're away, and slowly it starts to make sense, to the point now where even though my Jolla 1 is 'old hardware' I won't part with it for the world until they get the OS out on some funky new decent spec' hardware.

I bought mine to 'get away' from the constant data mining and intrusions/tracking and spamming and advertising that plagues Android, and it 'does it' for me. Ironically I find I can't live without at least just a few Android app's while the SFOS ecosystem births more, but I console myself that they're sandboxed and rather like Win inside VB, can't do too much harm. The native app's on the whole are pretty decent, but like everyone besides 'Droid/IOS, there are big gaps in the app's choice, and they (SFOS) don't help themselves in having no paid app's at present, but, slowly slowly catchy monkey as they say. Still, they're further down the liner than Ubuntu mobile on the whole, but, for getting it out there on hardware Ubuntu have had more success so far, although SFOS is somewhat catching up now with new devices from Intex being released, a port for the Fairphone 2 being released, several community ports to other devices, and now the rather interesting albeit expensive Turing Phone from Turing Robotic Industries which is about to launch. . .

I have kept an eye on the Ubuntu phone out of interest, and i for one would like to see it succeed if not just to see more 'real linux' out there on devices on the market. I love the fact of being able to SSH into my phone from the laptop and transfer files and faff about how I want, it's right up my street and I think lots of Linux users would soon find it as familiar as they're favourite distro. Mint on a mobile is a nice idea, I'm sure they'd do a great job of it just like the OS, but as Jolla have found out, it's an expensive business and fraught with pitfalls, I just hope they don't have any more disasters and just concentrate on getting what is in my opinion, the ONLY decent linux OS out there on much more hardware, it really flies on the old hardware and I'd love to see what it's capable of, and to reach its full potential. It's not completely open source at present, apparently that's being worked on like everything else, but I'd say it's the nearest thing we've got at present, and as with Mint, I'm a fan . . .

Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

I noticed no difference with the released version over the beta version of Cinnamon 18 on my tablet. With some time and research, I was able to get the wifi working.
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taur10 »

Cicero86 wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:I believe all android is more-or-less dependent on Google. They are the biggest contributors and developers and (I believe) have the copyright to the Android name as well.
Yeah I guess you're right. I just read about the mod and it is related to google. After all google is the owner of android. Shouldn't android being open-source make developers able to work on their own without google? or something similar to that. I don't know. I'm still learning about the software licensing and its different kinds.
Android is an interesting beastie, apparently Android is open source and based on Linux, but, the Play store, and lot of software comes out of Google, and from experience, I can tell you finding and installing software from a source other than the Play store is quite challenging. Simply put, you can have Android without Google, but that's about all you'll have.
Cicero86 wrote:
Moem wrote:
Cicero86 wrote:But I'm just really wondering why isn't anybody trying to break google's and apple's monopoly over the smartphone business?
There are at least three projects listed in this thread that have done exactly that, or more, if you squint a little. And I don't think Sailfish OS has been mentioned.
Oh yeah Sailfish. I also heard of Tizen OS. I don't know if they're open-source and free or not. But I think, in my humble opinion, the idea of linux is still more charismatic than them. I really liked Sailfish when I saw it, but it's still the same thing. It's not willing to go international... :(
IIRC Tizen is another Samsung project, like Android its sorta open source, its heavily dependent on Samsung and from what I understand, their support is somewhat mercurial.

Sailfish is new to me, I'll have to look, I just put Cynogeonmod (spelled that rong, didn't I?) on an old Galaxy 2 7 in tablet, and really like the result, much faster (though hilariously, 9900 on Antutu Benchmark) and over all feels better than new.
Seph Harrison
The stranger who became stranger
Telegram @<same name>

Ascaris
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ascaris »

I think that one of the main features of Mint is that it's not mobile or touch-oriented.

Microsoft failed miserably in their attempt to have one UI for desktops and mobiles in Windows 8. While mobile device users generally thought it was great, desktop users hated it. So then we got Windows 10, which moves the slider away from "mobile" and more toward "desktop," but still attempts to have both under one UI. The result is that the mobile users say that it's a big step backwards compared to Windows 8, while many desktop users (like me) still think it's too phone oriented (not to mention the other negatives about Win 10 that we're all aware of).

Or, closer to home, there's Ubuntu. Ubuntu was the #1 Linux distro for a long time... but then they started the Unity project, making it more touch-friendly and attempting to (ahem) unify netbook and desktops under one UI (which are admittedly a lot more alike than a pure tablet and a desktop). Even so, the UI compromises that were made to accommodate netbooks (with later plans for things like the Ubuntu phone, which kind of alerted people to what Canonical was thinking) turned a lot of people off.

So here we are, using Mint, whose claim to fame is sticking to the traditional UI, and it's become the #1 distro, displacing Ubuntu.

Unified UIs don't make people happy (and I know that suggesting a mobile Mint doesn't imply a unified UI; just exploring that possibility at the moment). One kernel (or just the code base for it) to rule them all can be okay if it is done well, as it's all out of sight and requires no adjustment from the user, but different devices have different UIs for a reason, and both desktop users and mobile users have come to expect the kind of UI excellence that comes with having a UI that is designed specifically for the platform upon which it will be used.

With that in mind, what would be the point of Mint on a phone or tablet? If the whole idea is to keep the traditional UI rather than something touchified, how would that work on a touch device?

As long as the mobile Mint was developed in parallel to the desktop version that currently exists, it would be no concern of mine, except that the Mint crew has a finite amount of resources, and spreading them over other projects would slow progress of the main versions.
Main PC: Mint 18.3 Cinnamon & Windows 8.1/ Asus P8P67 Deluxe/i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Laptop: Mint 19 Xfce/ Acer Swift 1 13.3"
Older laptop: Mint 19 Cinnamon & Windows 8.1/ Asus F8Sn with 8GB, SSD, GT220m GPU

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

Ascaris wrote:As long as the mobile Mint was developed in parallel to the desktop version that currently exists, it would be no concern of mine, except that the Mint crew has a finite amount of resources, and spreading them over other projects would slow progress of the main versions.
We can see what happend if companies are fixed on phones and tablets: OSX became something like iOS with keyboard and Windows 8 and 10 are a joke anyway.

Android for phones is not bad technically BUT the restrictions of Gooooo and the manufacturers are more than heavy: one my own phone I am aloud to host some GigaBytes of unnecessary and stupid bloat- and spyware.
If Android, resp. Google & Co. would be more customer-friendly (Password root/manage apps - whitout loosing guarantee) there is no reason to reinvent the wheel.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pdhunter1987 »

I hope they don't focus on mobile.

One thing I admire and love about Clem and the developers working on Linux Mint, is the focus to stick to the traditional desktop.

Let ubuntu get side tracked and go to mobile (look at the quality or lack of in the unity desktop as they worry about convergence and ubuntu phones).

Apple have a focus on phones, windows tried and failed, Firefox have tried.

Love the direction Mint is going.
My PC is just that, not a mobile phone.
:lol:
Sorry to bring thread back.
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

Mint is a distro aimed firmly at the desktop and personally I don't want it crippled to be 'mobile friendly.'

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

With the current generation being raised with a smart phone in their hands at age 8-10, one day desktops may very well be dominated by phone OS's. But at the same time newer generations can handle different user interfaces easier. Likely because they are exposed to tech at an earlier age than the previous generation.

Mint climbing and ubuntu sinking should be a clear indicator the world is not ready for a forced unified OS.

Now in terms of an actual new OS with the mint name. If someone made one they would have high expectations and standards to meet to even be considered labeled with the Mint name. The Arch forums would most likely be a better place for this topic. They love putting Arch on everything. To be honest I am surprised they havent made a specific phone version yet. From what I found they load Arch to the phone but it is not a full blown phone Os.

The difference is here on the Mint forums, most of us are new and not programmers by any means. Alot of us (I am included here) have never used the command line. We are here for desktop simplicity. Desktop simplicity is what has allowed Mint to flourish in the linux userbase.

I too would enjoy a linux based phone that is not google spyware. And since few exist and are near unobtainable, I do not have a smart phone.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pdhunter1987 »

"The difference is here on the Mint forums, most of us are new and not programmers by any means. Alot of us (I am included here) have never used the command line. We are here for desktop simplicity. Desktop simplicity is what has allowed Mint to flourish in the linux userbase."
- citizen229

(Sorry about the quote not being a proper quote, I'm on my smart phone it is difficult and it isn't exactly a PC. :lol: )

I don't agree, alot of people assume that "most of us" are new, not programmers and don't know how to use a terminal.

I do agree though what your saying, generally people who use Mint or Ubuntu based distros or even Ubuntu would consist of people straight from windows or OSX that want simplicity, which is a great trait Linux Mint has.

I love the terminal, I am learning to program for the first time using Ruby at the moment, not new to the Linux world though, been using Linux in general since Linux Mint 11 "Katya" think it was called.

Ubuntu phones aren't anything new IMO, Android has dominated the mobile market, not even Apple are doing as well.
As I said before I love Linux Mint for he focus on the desktop.

Also as a side note, haven't we got the GNOME shell desktop? To be honest, that suits tablets and mobiles much better than desktop ( even if the GNOME team don't see it that way! :lol: )

There is a massive usability problem when my kids try to "touch" my monitor to open apps when I was running GNOME shell! Lol.

I have 2 kids, 4 and 2 years old, my 2yr old can now click "start" menu in Mint XFCE and open Netflix. :lol:
Your right this generation technology is in their hands early. I still don't believe mobile/tablets (yuck!) will take over the desktop or even laptop.
But, who knows could be wrong, still will rely on my PC if that ever happened anyways. :D

Sorry for long comment.

What does everyone else think?
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

AlekseyG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AlekseyG »

Hi everyone!
Have you heard recent news about WikiLeaks and smartphones?
WikiLeaks has published what it claims is the largest ever batch of confidential documents on the CIA, revealing the breadth of the agency’s ability to hack smartphones and popular social media messaging apps such as WhatsApp.Apple's iPhone, Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows and even Samsung TVs....
CIA turns Smart TVs, iPhones, gaming consoles and many other consumer gadgets into open microphones....
CIA turned every Microsoft Windows PC in the world into spyware. Can activate backdoors on demand, including via Windows update...
Such tools and techniques allow the CIA to hack social media platforms such as WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, Wiebo, Confide and Cloackman before encryption can be applied, WikiLeaks claims in the statement on their website...
I want to say that I've bagun to use LinuxMint instead of Windows because of such messege about CIA and Windows. But now it seems that the leak is much more bigger. More people (like me) will think how to protect their information.
LinuxMint community will get a lot of new fans, if we begin to develope mobile version of LinuxMint.

P.S.
I can bet that "WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, Wiebo..." now are thinking about developing secure OS!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”