Mint Mobile OS ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cicero86

Re: Mint Mobile OS ?

Post by Cicero86 »

Fred Barclay wrote:
Cicero86 wrote: I don't know what that is. Could you please tell me more about it? Is it a bug or something?
Dash is a programme search bar in Unity, which is the default DE for Ubuntu. Say I'm looking to start Firefox. I could open Dash, type "firefox", and click on the launcher to start Firefox.

At one point Dash automatically sent your keystrokes back to Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) and I believe some "business partners" though I could be wrong about that. You could turn this "feature" off but it was on by default. Lots of chaps weren't happy with this and thought it was an invasion of their privacy.

Now with Ubuntu 16.04, the keystroke-sending is off by default, though you can turn it on if you like.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/328146/ ... untu-13-04
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux- ... nity-dash/
https://fixubuntu.com/
http://nathanheafner.com/home/2013/09/2 ... anonymous/
Very informative :) I've read about the results being sent to Canonical and Amazon, But somehow I missed the expression "Dash". I haven't used Ubuntu since like 8.04 or something :D

Why isn't there a "like" or a "thanks" button here on the forum?! :D
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Cicero86 wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:We can totally have a mobile OS, just donate like 50-150 million to the LinuxMint team and they will get right on it. :lol:

Jokes aside, it would cost serious $$$ to do properly.
Yeah I totally agree with you. The numbers are really sensible too.

It would be really good if they also manufacture their own phones too! :)
I would try getting onto Android devices, just because the hardware already exists and there is some success loading Cyanogenmod, Ubuntu and Arch onto them.
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Chiefahol wrote:
Cicero86 wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:We can totally have a mobile OS, just donate like 50-150 million to the LinuxMint team and they will get right on it. :lol:

Jokes aside, it would cost serious $$$ to do properly.
Yeah I totally agree with you. The numbers are really sensible too.

It would be really good if they also manufacture their own phones too! :)
I would try getting onto Android devices, just because the hardware already exists and there is some success loading Cyanogenmod, Ubuntu and Arch onto them.
Cyanogenmod. Is it a non-google android OS? I mean Is it dependent in any way on google?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I believe all android is more-or-less dependent on Google. They are the biggest contributors and developers and (I believe) have the copyright to the Android name as well.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

Fred Barclay wrote:It could be interesting but to be honest I don't see what it could offer above the Ubuntu Phone.
And you can see how wildly popular the Ubuntu Phone has been... :lol:
Ubuntu on a phone? Didn't know that...
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Fred Barclay wrote:I believe all android is more-or-less dependent on Google. They are the biggest contributors and developers and (I believe) have the copyright to the Android name as well.
Yeah I guess you're right. I just read about the mod and it is related to google. After all google is the owner of android. Shouldn't android being open-source make developers able to work on their own without google? or something similar to that. I don't know. I'm still learning about the software licensing and its different kinds.
But I'm just really wondering why isn't anybody trying to break google's and apple's monopoly over the smartphone business?
I mean I read the news some time ago that there will be customizable phones with upgradeable parts (hardware), why aren't there talks about customizable installations of OS's as well?!
When will that be discussed?

When will people start thinking of that, I wonder...?
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Destry wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:It could be interesting but to be honest I don't see what it could offer above the Ubuntu Phone.
And you can see how wildly popular the Ubuntu Phone has been... :lol:
Ubuntu on a phone? Didn't know that...
Oh yeah it's been around since 2011 or something. (the concept)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Touch
Mark Shuttleworth announced on 31 October 2011 that by Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu will support smartphones, tablets, smart TVs and other smart screens (such as car head units and smartwatches)
The phones came out in 2014, I think, and are only available in the EU and the US. I believe.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

I've been using Cyanogenmod Nightly since back around 2011 using safestrap for multiple roms.

I would suggest if you want to see LM on a mobile device, then code it. LM is open source so get busy I say...
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

No offense to mint, but if i was going to help bring another distro to mobile it would probably be Debian, there has been some effort made to taking Debian to phones/tablets:

https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile

Totally unusable if you don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but it's a start.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cicero86 wrote:But I'm just really wondering why isn't anybody trying to break google's and apple's monopoly over the smartphone business?
There are at least three projects listed in this thread that have done exactly that, or more, if you squint a little. And I don't think Sailfish OS has been mentioned.

It's a duopoly, by the way. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Destry wrote:I've been using Cyanogenmod Nightly since back around 2011 using safestrap for multiple roms.

I would suggest if you want to see LM on a mobile device, then code it. LM is open source so get busy I say...
oh I wish I could. I'm still learning about programing but as soon as I learn well enough, god willing, I'll do it of course. :)
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Chiefahol wrote:No offense to mint, but if i was going to help bring another distro to mobile it would probably be Debian, there has been some effort made to taking Debian to phones/tablets:

https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile

Totally unusable if you don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but it's a start.
I'd totally support this. I respect debian despite being a beginner. I tried it once and hardly got through the installation alive. then I uninstalled it and got back to mint. I try other distros from time to time. I tried many in fact..hehe.
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Moem wrote:
Cicero86 wrote:But I'm just really wondering why isn't anybody trying to break google's and apple's monopoly over the smartphone business?
There are at least three projects listed in this thread that have done exactly that, or more, if you squint a little. And I don't think Sailfish OS has been mentioned.
Oh yeah Sailfish. I also heard of Tizen OS. I don't know if they're open-source and free or not. But I think, in my humble opinion, the idea of linux is still more charismatic than them. I really liked Sailfish when I saw it, but it's still the same thing. It's not willing to go international... :(
so my region isn't gonna see any of it. :(
There has to be some free hardware company that jut sells hardware without OS's first and then we can add whatever OS we want to it.
I just realized the importance of freeing the hardware industry too!
wow, this not a simple thing to do..It has to take some years, almost a decade, for it to happen. :(
Moem wrote: It's a duopoly, by the way. 8)
Okay Ms. Smartypants! :D
It's Ironic that I don't know the word and I'm supposed to be an instructor, right? haha :oops:
Well there's a proverb we say in Egypt here:
"the ones who stumble (make mistakes) are those who are already moving (improving)"
So, I guess I just stumbled this time..hehe :lol:
But thanks for the correction, I welcome it. :)
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

There is one tablet that I have Linux Mint 18 mostly working on... see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=223426
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Destry wrote:There is one tablet that I have Linux Mint 18 mostly working on... see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=223426
wow this is mind-blowing. Is your mint a standalone OS on the tablet now? I mean is it the only OS on it? no trace of win10 or android whatsoever?????
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

Cicero86 wrote:
Destry wrote:There is one tablet that I have Linux Mint 18 mostly working on... see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=223426
wow this is mind-blowing. Is your mint a standalone OS on the tablet now? I mean is it the only OS on it? no trace of win10 or android whatsoever?????
It is a stand alone, did a complete disk wipe and install.

Just working on the touch screen, sound, and network issues.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

I just ordered another Chuwi HI12 tablet and plan on keeping it stock for now until KDE 18 stable is released.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Destry wrote:I just ordered another Chuwi HI12 tablet and plan on keeping it stock for now until KDE 18 stable is released.
Addicttion - seek treatment!!! :lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

Reorx wrote:
Destry wrote:I just ordered another Chuwi HI12 tablet and plan on keeping it stock for now until KDE 18 stable is released.
Addicttion - seek treatment!!! :lol:
I am a hopeless case!
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

Got my second HI12 tablet last night! :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”