what i think about linux

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

what i think about linux

Post by callmejoe »

i'm fairly new to linux. tried ubuntu last year and didnt like it. came around to linux mint a few months ago and i think i am hooked. been using windows for years. but always wanted to see what linux was all about.

maybe it's the placebo effect but i swear my monitor just looks better. images and video seem more colorful and vibrant. or the colors are richer. something. i have an IPS monitor so colors were always pretty good, but definitely notice a difference from windows 10 to linux mint.

also, seems slightly faster when loading programs or web pages. and i am running a VPN. so on my win10 machine i always expected some slight delays. figured to see the same delays in Mint, but i havent. it seems with linux mint web pages load as fast even with the VPN

i was curious too, some of the newer windows features like window snapping and window animations. did MS steal that stuff from linux? now that i see the innovation and creativity of the linux community it seems to me a lot of stuff might have been developed in linux first.

like with Apple stealing ideas from the jailbreak community, if you are familiar with the iOS environment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thobin

Re: what i think about linux

Post by thobin »

Some things do load faster, boot time is about the same for me, windows is a second or two faster but its still loading when the desktop opens up and mouse pop up, you can forget about opening any program till its done. Mint on the other hand, the second the desktop is up you can open something and start right away. Shut down happens before I can get out of the chair. I no longer use Windows I mover it to a its own small drive off my SSD and no more dual boot I can hit F12 the once every other month that I log into Windows.

TA
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't really notice a big difference with boot times. It depends on the DE version ... Xfce should boot faster than Cinnamon, But boot times aren't a big issue for me anyway.

OS X doesn't steal from linux really. OS X is actually quite similar to Linux because it also uses a Unix derived kernel. I think it was the Mach kernel originally.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Acewiza

Post by Acewiza »

The biggest difference between Linux and Windows is that Linux distros do not deliberately hide the inner workings of the system from the casual observer's view. I believe this supports M$'s predatory actions against corporate customer targets by making administrators with M$ training somewhat of a limited commodity and creates lock-in after customers become dependent on the software. It's very akin to illegal drug dealers in this respect. Just a taste, looks flashy and elegant, then before you know it - you're hooked.
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

Acewiza wrote:The biggest difference between Linux and Windows is that Linux distros do not deliberately hide the inner workings of the system from the casual observer's view. I believe this supports M$'s predatory actions against corporate customer targets by making administrators with M$ training somewhat of a limited commodity and creates lock-in after customers become dependent on the software. It's very akin to illegal drug dealers in this respect. Just a taste, looks flashy and elegant, then before you know it - you're hooked.
microsoft = drug dealer. funny :)
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

Hoser Rob wrote:I don't really notice a big difference with boot times. It depends on the DE version ... Xfce should boot faster than Cinnamon, But boot times aren't a big issue for me anyway.

OS X doesn't steal from linux really. OS X is actually quite similar to Linux because it also uses a Unix derived kernel. I think it was the Mach kernel originally.
what about Microsoft stealing from Linux?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

callmejoe wrote:
Hoser Rob wrote:I don't really notice a big difference with boot times. It depends on the DE version ... Xfce should boot faster than Cinnamon, But boot times aren't a big issue for me anyway.

what about Microsoft stealing from Linux?
What about it? MS-DOS was basically CP/M with a Unix like file structure. In computer science plagiarism is considered a sign of intelligence. Why reinvent the wheel?

MS is adopting Linux more and more now anyways ... I suspect it'll eventually end up like OS X, with a Linux kernel or similar but in a proprietary wrapper.

And Linux/Unix people didn't invent windowing systems anyway.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”