My Experience with LM 18

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
WhiskyManII
Level 2
Level 2

My Experience with LM 18

Post by WhiskyManII » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Hello, just downloaded LM 18 and here is my first experience.
Wish I could say it was positive. It was not.
First, a list of my hardware.
Lenovo Thinkpad x1 Carbon, Third generation i5, 128 ssd, 4g Ram.
Here's what happened:
First thing it loaded just fine. But as soon as I tried to use it, the touchpad kept jumping the pointer around the screen. I did the updates and the problem persisted. I tried tweaking the software and nothing I did helped. Finally reinstalled LM18 - thinking maybe it was just a bad install - and had the same problem no mater what I tried. The thing is, I'm not using an offbeat brand. This is a Thinkpad, and LM 17.3 worked perfectly using the same kernel as loads with 18. So the problem has to be in the touchpad software. They've changed something, and it gave my Thinkpad nothing but trouble.
Couldn't continue with 18 the way it was.
Final result was to reinstall 17.3, upgraded the same kernel that comes with 18, and everything is great. Until they fix their touchpad software - just put it back like it was - I can't use LM 18.
I do need to warn anyone with an Thinkpad.

Whisky
Life is better with Cinnamon on Top

Barbados99
Level 3
Level 3

Re: My Experience with LM 18

Post by Barbados99 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:39 pm

WhiskyManII wrote:Hello, just downloaded LM 18 and here is my first experience.
Here's what happened:
First thing it loaded just fine. But as soon as I tried to use it, the touchpad kept jumping the pointer around the screen. I did the updates and the problem persisted. I tried tweaking the software and nothing I did helped. Finally reinstalled LM18 - thinking maybe it was just a bad install - and had the same problem no mater what I tried. The thing is, I'm not using an offbeat brand. This is a Thinkpad, and LM 17.3 worked perfectly using the same kernel as loads with 18. So the problem has to be in the touchpad software. They've changed something, and it gave my Thinkpad nothing but trouble.
Final result was to reinstall 17.3, upgraded the same kernel that comes with 18, and everything is great. Until they fix their touchpad software - just put it back like it was - I can't use LM 18.

Whisky
I had the same problem with the touchpad on my Thinkpad initially (running Mint 18 Beta). I know this sounds crazy, but after a day or so it stopped being so jumpy and everything works normal now. I have no clue as to why it would start working normal after a day or two. I didn't do anything on my part to fix it. But it's fine now.

I am now running the Mint 18 stable release, and it is fine now too.

WhiskyManII
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WhiskyManII » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Barbados99 wrote:
Here's what happened:

Whisky
I had the same problem with the touchpad on my Thinkpad initially (running Mint 18 Beta). I know this sounds crazy, but after a day or so it stopped being so jumpy and everything works normal now. I have no clue as to why it would start working normal after a day or two. I didn't do anything on my part to fix it. But it's fine now.

Hi Barbados

I don't know what to do, I installed all the updates. Restarted my machine, and everything. I'm leary about trying it again, at least for now. I think they need to do something. My computer was unusable the way it was. Anyway, thanks
Life is better with Cinnamon on Top

Barbados99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Barbados99 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:22 pm

WhiskyManII wrote:
Barbados99 wrote:
Here's what happened:

Whisky

Hi Barbados

I don't know what to do, I installed all the updates. Restarted my machine, and everything. I'm leary about trying it again, at least for now. I think they need to do something. My computer was unusable the way it was. Anyway, thanks
I had one other thought about what was causing the jumpy pointer problem. When I first installed the new Mint 18 I was downloading and pushing the CPU pretty hard. The Thinkpad was processioning a ton of files for hours. I downloaded a bunch of audio, photos and other files while syncing Google Drive. If you do an Internet search on Mouse Skips/Jumps during heavy CPU load - you'll see it's not an unusual problem.

Other than that, I have no clue :-)

ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 pm

was wondering is there away to turn off the magnifier effect when you mouse over the panel? its really quite annoying. Thanks in advance

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:47 pm

If you mean with magnifier the preview: Right click there, select in the menu to configure and disable the preview (last option). This is nothing new for LM 18.

ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:50 pm

that did it thanks greatly appreciated.

venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venik212 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:20 pm

I am using Mint 18/Cinnamon on a NUC5i5RYK (Intel's New Unit of Computing). I was using 17.3 and loved it. Now I have upgraded to 18.0, using a "package upgrade" rather than the fresh installation that Clem recommends. Everything went smoothly, but I noticed that rebooting now takes MINUTES instead of the seconds that 17.3 took. I also noticed that-- despite the claims in What's New in 18, the HiDPI support has not improved, at least not to my eyes.
Does anyone know why rebooting is so much slower now? My NUC has 16 gb of RAM, a 250 gb SSD, and an i5.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:01 am

venik212 wrote:I am using Mint 18/Cinnamon on a NUC5i5RYK (Intel's New Unit of Computing). I was using 17.3 and loved it. Now I have upgraded to 18.0, using a "package upgrade" rather than the fresh installation that Clem recommends. Everything went smoothly, but I noticed that rebooting now takes MINUTES instead of the seconds that 17.3 took. I also noticed that-- despite the claims in What's New in 18, the HiDPI support has not improved, at least not to my eyes.
Does anyone know why rebooting is so much slower now? My NUC has 16 gb of RAM, a 250 gb SSD, and an i5.
You are stealing this thread. Your problem is so different than the one the OP has, so please start your own thread so this one can continue with the touchpad problem. Thank you.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”