I never see anyone talking about building Mint desktops!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
hawkeye315
Level 2
Level 2

I never see anyone talking about building Mint desktops!

Post by hawkeye315 »

I seems like most people I see on this forum, myself included, have minty laptops, but I rarely see anyone with a desktop signature or talking about building their own PC with mint.

I love to build computers in my spare time. My next build when I am out of college and get my first non-internship will hopefully have a mint SSD and a windows SSD (If gaming still requires it) with a 1 TB downloads drive and a 4 TB data drive. I am choosing a white case and will either customize it to have a Star Wars: Republic Commando (Great game, try it on wine. One of the best stories of any game of its time) or customize it with a mint theme. I may get some mint keycap sets when I get a new mechanical keyboard (going to try browns so I will have a red and a brown).

Sorry, I really like computer builds. My point is that I would love to see more people showing off their Mint computer builds. Is there a real reason that most people put mint on their laptops? Apparently it was appointed one of the best desktop distros of Linux by a few different sites. I'm totally going to use mint when I make my new computer. I was thinking about diving into Arch or Gentoo with the new build, but I just like mint so much! Maybe I will have a dual boot linux SSD and a Windows SSD.

Also, mint boxes should get promoted more! There should also be a mint box 3 because of the rapidly falling costs of SSD's and the growing popularity of external HDD data drives.
Linux Mint 18.2 XFCE | HP Probook 450 G1
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: I never see anyone talking about building Mint desktops!

Post by Pjotr »

Well, my own desktop (home built) runs on Mint 18 Cinnamon. As do several desktops that I'm sysadmin for. It runs great on them. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk »

I'd guess that one reason for Mint (and many other OSes/Distros) being on more Laptops is... more of us use Laptops than use Desktops ;)

We live in a world of limited resources - no point in energy saving Light Bulbs if your Desktop use hundreds of watts of energy - at least that's one of the main reasons I use Laptops.... and I don't play games, so don't need the extra CPU/GFX power of a Desktop.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE
deleted

Post by deleted »

All my PCs (laptops and desktops) run Mint (KDE and XFCE). I have 5 of them total.
I distro-hopped for a while (being a Linux newbie back in 2006) but have always come back to Mint.
-H
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

I use to build all of my game computers and still are using them without problems.
I'm not a gamer I do Microsoft Flight Simulator X so I still use Windows XP for that.

All of my Linux computers are other peoples outdated discards in their opinion and are desktops because I hate laptops.
I upgrade these computers to the maximum they can be upgraded to from either components purchased very cheaply or free that I have collected from other desktops.

I install Linux on them and they all run well and in my case no need to build any new computers.
I'm enjoy keeping older hardware alive by using Linux.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I now have my second home built desktop, using only Linux. Bought the parts I picked myself, did NOT include Windows of course.
At the moment it is SolydK since I want to be away from Ubuntu, I like KDE and the stability of Debian ==> SolydK.
The specs are:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: solydk8 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4) Desktop: KDE 4.14.2 (Qt 4.8.6) 
           Distro: SolydXK 8 solydxk 
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends v: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Octa core AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 70635 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 4414 MHz 2: 4414 MHz 3: 4414 MHz 4: 4414 MHz 5: 4414 MHz 6: 4414 MHz 7: 4414 MHz
           8: 4414 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.96 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.0-4-amd64
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2272.0GB (41.8% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ADATA_SP900 size: 128.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ADATA_SP900 size: 128.0GB ID-3: /dev/sdd model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB
           ID-4: /dev/sdc model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB ID-5: USB /dev/sde model: TF10 size: 15.5GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 32G used: 8.8G (30%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-2: /boot size: 240M used: 40M (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-3: /home size: 78G used: 15G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4 
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 27.2C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:36C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 264 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 3764.9/15978.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.1.28 
The cabinet is a PGS case like on this picture with one exception: mine is white (well, sort of, I don't clean it every day)
Aerocool_PGS-B_Series_Mechatron_Black_Edition_Pic_01.jpg
sda and sdb are 2 128GB ssd's, sdc and sdd are 2 1TB hard disks.
Am very happy with it cause it runs like hell.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I've always wanted to build a computer. But practically it would be of little use to me as I'm not a gamer and prefer to use a laptop. Plus I've computers others have given to me and keeping them going, upgrading, and finding uses for what I already have leave me with no good reason to build my own. I do see the value both from a learning experience and if one has a reason to do so.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I have four computers. Two of them are desktop towers and the other two are laptops. Since the desktop towers have two hard drives in each tower; one for Mint and the other for Windows, the default hard when the tower is started up, boots straight up into Mint 18. The Windows hard drive in both towers is my backup operating system which is Windows 7.
Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce 64 Bit
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

This is me yakking about my "Mint Desktop" that calls itself Xfce. :idea:
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

If you no longer use Windows, then that alone would save you $115(?), which is the cost of a Win 10 Home license.

Good thing is there are tens and tens of Linux distros you can choose from. And you can try most of them for free. Pick whatever suits your preferences, not what people have in their machines and use.

If I have to build one, why limit myself to one distro? I would multi-boot 4 distros for a start. (They're just partitions and have zero effect on speed.) Then I'll most likely end up with 2 distros after a couple of weeks of testing. I don't have to delete them right away. I'll just re-arrange the boot list and pick whichever I use the most for the default.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

hawkeye315 wrote:I seems like most people I see on this forum, myself included, have minty laptops, but I rarely see anyone with a desktop signature or talking about building their own PC with mint.
Well...
chrisuk wrote:I'd guess that one reason for Mint (and many other OSes/Distros) being on more Laptops is... more of us use Laptops than use Desktops ;)
What chrisuk said.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

hawkeye315 wrote:I seems like most people I see on this forum, myself included, have minty laptops, but I rarely see anyone with a desktop signature or talking about building their own PC with mint.
You may want to take a peek at my signature, then. :D
I'm posting this reply from my Dell Optiplex 760 SFF desktop, which looks like this:
It was a hand-me-down from my wife's former boss; I got a good handful of depreciated yet IMHO still useful hardware when that boss shut down the business. I spruced up the Optiplex with a bigger hard drive and a Radeon 3450 graphics card, and it's running Mint Cinnamon.

The last time I built a PC from the case up was more than a decade ago. If I were to do it again, I'd get my hardware with Linux in mind. I'm not a fan of what Windows has become, and after having been in the Mac world for a while, I find myself not liking the direction Apple is taking with OS X/macOS either.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I'd like to echo dXTC's sentiments...

There's always a part of me itching to build another desktop. The last one I built was a Shuttle XPC unit like this one:

I built that around 2003 or 2004. Since then I bought an iMac G4, a (I think) Gateway PC from the now-defunct CompUSA (because I needed something more powerful and modern than the iMac, and couldn't build one cheaper than I could buy that one), and I have owned an iBook G3, a PowerBook G4, a 2009 MacBook Pro, and now my current 2012 MacBook Pro.

However, the thing is I really don't have any particular need for a tower. I don't game, and I just don't do anything else high-end enough that could remotely call for a tower. I've been a laptop guy for a number of years now, and what with Android and the smartphone market becoming as advanced, capable, and ubiquitous as they have been, even my laptop's been relegated to "those things a smartphone isn't good for".
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

thom_A wrote:If you no longer use Windows, then that alone would save you $115(?), which is the cost of a Win 10 Home license.
+1

My last 2 computers were built by myself and never saw Windows. I only paid for the parts not for that O.S.
Here in Europe it is possible to get a refund for Windows when you buy a complete computer in a shop, but hardly anyone does that. Reason: not many people know they can do that.
The shop has to do that since it is a joined sale: hardware and software. When you don't want/need the OS the shop has to remove it from the harddisk, take a DVD (when present) out of the box and keep it, plus give you a refund. Problem is: that's not much plus it takes alot of work. The Dutch government will not force computershops to sell computers without Windows and also won't force them to make it possible to get the refund when you don't want Windows: "there are plenty of computers you can buy without the OS." What a load of crap. They are just afraid of Microsoft.

I know that Linux users know more about computers than the average Windows user, still not all of us can build their own computer, not all of use will go the extra mile to find a shop where it is possible to get a computer without OS. And why should we? Why isn't it more common, why are we being discriminated? Because we are a small group? Minorities don't count? Obviously.
yquux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yquux »

Hi,
just my two cents...
I built my Mint Desktop recently (June 2016) with a MoBo Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI, a Skylake i7-6700T and 16Go.
It runs Mint 18 Cinnamon since the Beta without any issue !

Yquux
ASUS MAXIMUS IX APEX - i7-6700T - 32Go (ssd) - Mint 20 Cinnamon
Acer SF114-31 - N5000 - M.2 SSD 250 Go - Mint 20 XFCE
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

DeMus wrote:I know that Linux users know more about computers than the average Windows user, still not all of us can build their own computer, not all of use will go the extra mile to find a shop where it is possible to get a computer without OS. And why should we? Why isn't it more common, why are we being discriminated? Because we are a small group? Minorities don't count? Obviously.
The PC I'm using was a £30 local pick up on eBay. All I had to do was plug in my trusty HD 5450 and my Wi-FI card, wipe the Windows 7 it came with and install Linux Mint. The guy I bought it from was into PC building and had a few too many tins lying around. When I told him I planned to put Linux on there he looked at me like I was from Mars.

I would say that the ability to build your own system and an understanding of each component is a basic 101 for using Linux. Once you've been through that rite of passage, you can buy a pre-built system (either desktop or laptop) and you'll know what's in there and be in control of the system. If you don't go through that experience, you're missing out on a vital part of the user control ethos that makes Linux so rewarding.
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

I stopped using a desktop PC some years ago. I could see I was going to need to buy larger IDE drives as Mint added more software.
Much easier using a laptop. My newest is a Dell Inspiron with W10. Super fast.
Still run an older Acer with 17.0 for scanning on a HP printer/scanner.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
uberdorf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by uberdorf »

I built 2 desktop builds last year, both of which boot directly into mint. Both also run virtual machines to run Windows for minor things like genealogy. (I'd rather use a VM than WINE if possible). I could see why people with limited space would prefer laptops, but personally I prefer desktops because in my experience they are easier to repair and modify, run cooler usually, and last a lot longer. I have 5 desktops, 2 which I mentioned building last year off mostly amazon and tigerdirect parts, 2 which I bought new 6 years ago, and one I bought used and fixed up over time. Plus I have a laptop that I was given.

Here's the specs on one of my PC's that I built, which I am on right now...

Code: Select all

System:    Host: intelkit-mint18cin Kernel: 4.4.0-34-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7  Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: V2.8 date: 07/17/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium G3258 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 3195 MHz 2: 3196 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 730]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@59.93hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.42
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-34-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: d8:cb:8a:3c:79:f8
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8192CE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rtl8192ce
           IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: 04:8d:38:e4:70:23
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (44.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 909G used: 404G (47%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.51GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 37C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 172 Uptime: 34 min Memory: 1315.8/7912.2MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Since this last March I have built 4 desktops (refurbished and modified) into LM. One 32 bit machine with an atom (yes in a desktop) processor and 2 gig of RAM with an 80 GIG HD. I put LM18 xfce in it. I don't use it as it is painfully slow. #2 was a Dell Optiplex 990 with 8 gig RAM and an i5 3300 quad processor and a 500 GIG HD. I had dual boot win7 with LM17.3 64bit Cinnamon. The HD got bumped and lost the sector the password was in and I had to scrub everything a half dozen times to be able to install just LM with a different password. I am preparing to replace the HD with an SSD. I built 2 other linux machines for friends. one was a recycled Optiplex 760 and the other was an old gateway, both with AMD processors and with 240GB SSD and 2 gig RAM. I also have been converting and refurbing a few scraptops. Putting in SSD drives and swapping WIFI cards. Removing Broadcoms and installing Athrose. This computer is running well with an AMD Turion 64 X2 with the broadcom wifi and 120gig SSD and 2gig ram in a 10 year old Dell Vostro 1000.
Lots of amusement for an old 72 year old cyclist. :mrgreen:
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

I have considered building a PC from the case up and actually took a course at the Local Community College where we built, or I guess I should say rebuilt a desk top PC so I know I can do it. But I took a different approach and had mine and my wife's desk tops built to my specifications. I just felt I had more flexibility and got more bang for the buck with a desk-top than with a laptop. I do have a laptop (that I added RAM to) and my wife has an iPad for when we travel which is more than sufficient for our needs. I even have a very old HP Compaq PC (2x AMD CPU 2G Ram) and a Mac Mini that run lubuntu - but they are never used - I ought to find out how to give them away because they run great for general use.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”