Mint 18KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
User avatar
virusdunil
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by virusdunil »

tried to upgrade another 17.3 install ...to 18 kde and didnt work..following this method...https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

is there another way to do it ?....thanks :wink:
HP Compaq dc7700p Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Kernel: 4.1.2-040102-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.2
Dual core Intel Core2 6400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB clock speeds: max: 2133 MHz
ATI/Radeon HD5400 Series-1024mo/650MHZ
DeMus

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by DeMus »

virusdunil wrote:tried to upgrade another 17.3 install ...to 18 kde and didnt work..following this method...https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

is there another way to do it ?....thanks :wink:
There is no way to upgrade a 17.x Mint KDE to Mint18 KDE since KDE has changed completely. It is all new and therefore there is no possibility to upgrade.
In other words back up your stuff and do a clean install.
Since it is just a beta release I would wait a while longer before doing that to my no.1 machine, there are bugs and they need to be taken out first. Test it in a VM, or maybe double boot but be aware of crashes, especially on your workhorse.
User avatar
virusdunil
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by virusdunil »

Thanks...Im installing it on another Hard drive so...no worries about scrapping my working one... :wink:
HP Compaq dc7700p Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Kernel: 4.1.2-040102-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.2
Dual core Intel Core2 6400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB clock speeds: max: 2133 MHz
ATI/Radeon HD5400 Series-1024mo/650MHZ
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by thom_A »

virusdunil wrote:tried to upgrade another 17.3 install ...to 18 kde and didnt work..following this method...https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

is there another way to do it ?....thanks :wink:
It's not advisable to upgrade from current version to a a major upgrade, let alone to a beta.

In my case, I only use upgrade paths to minor or point releases, ie, 17.2 to 17.3, etc. And in this case, when I say "major" it's major. A lot of things seem to be happening in the KDE/Plasma arena at a fast rate, or dare I say confused/slow rate where testing seems to be in a never ending state, which other distros also suffer from.

You guys need to learn how to manipulate your system and do multi-booting like installing/adding another distro without affecting your other linux partitions. Then delete/uninstall it after testing. Keep it if you like it.

The better question is is the beta upgradeable?
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Mt. Angel, Oregon

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by tdockery97 »

thom_A wrote:The better question is is the beta upgradeable?
Yes, it states on the Mint Blog announcement that the Beta is upgradeable to the final release version.
Mint Cinnamon 20
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by thom_A »

tdockery97 wrote:Yes, it states on the Mint Blog announcement that the Beta is upgradeable to the final release version.
That's good.

And if I may add to my previous post, users don't need to delete their current KDE partition. Most new releases become stable after a couple of months. Just install it in a new partition and keep your current Linux partitions intact.

I have Mint 18 Xfce and Mint 17.3 KDE as my main partitions, and they will stay for as long as I need them, or until Mint 18 KDE is stable enough and got all the apps and features I need. Point is, multi-booting is never a bad thing.
User avatar
virusdunil
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by virusdunil »

I just hope flgrx will still be alive...a lot of users are running it so...

Or someone will make something to make it work on 18

;)
HP Compaq dc7700p Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Kernel: 4.1.2-040102-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.2
Dual core Intel Core2 6400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB clock speeds: max: 2133 MHz
ATI/Radeon HD5400 Series-1024mo/650MHZ
deleted

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by deleted »

Wahoo!!
Getting it now.
-H
DeMus

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by DeMus »

thom_A wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:Yes, it states on the Mint Blog announcement that the Beta is upgradeable to the final release version.
That's good.

And if I may add to my previous post, users don't need to delete their current KDE partition. Most new releases become stable after a couple of months. Just install it in a new partition and keep your current Linux partitions intact.

I have Mint 18 Xfce and Mint 17.3 KDE as my main partitions, and they will stay for as long as I need them, or until Mint 18 KDE is stable enough and got all the apps and features I need. Point is, multi-booting is never a bad thing.
Thom, in your dual boot setup, what do you do with your data partition? Is it a joined one, or do you have separate partitions per system? And, is it the typical home partition (config folders and your data) or do you use a separate data partition, next to a home one?
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by Jedinovice »

AHEM!

Excuse me people, but some of us are in the middle of a murderous rampage here.
kill3.jpg
What? You have a headache? OK, you can go home.
kill4.jpg
More seriously, I am delighted KDE Mint has finally appeared but I am absolutely snowed under with work and with only my main use machine in full operation right now I haven't a chance of testing. So, please people, test it well for me. And can someone check out how Kdenlive holds up under the new Plasma?

Thanks everyone.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by thom_A »

DeMus wrote:Thom, in your dual boot setup, what do you do with your data partition? Is it a joined one, or do you have separate partitions per system? And, is it the typical home partition (config folders and your data) or do you use a separate data partition, next to a home one?
I used to make 4 partitions per one linux distro when I was just starting out, boot, root, home and swap. You can imagine the jumble of partitions when viewing them in a partition manager if you have four linux systems. Then I found that you can install right away after creating the root (/) partition plus the swap. And I also found that the swap can be shared by all linux partitions, and thus I only add a root partition when installing a new distro. That's what I've been doing since. 30-40GB is sufficient in my case and 6GB for swap.

I don't know what others use to clean up the boot mess when adding a new distro to a multi-boot system. I use Grub Customizer. It's the only PPA I use. I boot to the partition where it's installed, run it, clean up the mess, save, then hit the install to MBR from the menu. Don't know anything about UEFIi systems. My newest pc is about 4 years old and they're all BIOS systems.
User avatar
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4031
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: SE Florida, USA

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by Reorx »

thom_A wrote:
DeMus wrote:Thom, in your dual boot setup, what do you do with your data partition? Is it a joined one, or do you have separate partitions per system? And, is it the typical home partition (config folders and your data) or do you use a separate data partition, next to a home one?
I used to make 4 partitions per one linux distro when I was just starting out, boot, root, home and swap. You can imagine the jumble of partitions when viewing them in a partition manager if you have four linux systems. Then I found that you can install right away after creating the root (/) partition plus the swap. And I also found that the swap can be shared by all linux partitions, and thus I only add a root partition when installing a new distro. That's what I've been doing since. 30-40GB is sufficient in my case and 6GB for swap.

I don't know what others use to clean up the boot mess when adding a new distro to a multi-boot system. I use Grub Customizer. It's the only PPA I use. I boot to the partition where it's installed, run it, clean up the mess, save, then hit the install to MBR from the menu. Don't know anything about UEFIi systems. My newest pc is about 4 years old and they're all BIOS systems.
+1 This is almost exactly my story as well. Although I don't even add a PPA for GRUB customizer - I just D/L the appropriate .deb file and install from it. This is what the HD on my experimentation machine looks like >>>

Image
<Click to enlarge>
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
DeMus

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by DeMus »

@thom_A, @Reorx,

I plan to do something similar but with a few changes:
1) not so many partitions since I only use 1 as my main OS and probably only 1 as a testing partition
2) I won't make them 50GB each. I always use 25GB disks in VM's and even that is way too much

So it will be:
sda1: main OS
sda2: /home for main OS
sda3: tested OS
sda4: /home for tested OS
sdb1: partition for VM's
sdc1: a joined /Data partition
sdd1: a joined /Music partition

Since I have 16GB RAM memory I don't need a swap partition so I can forget about that.
sda and sdb are SSD's, each 128GB in size, sdc and sdd are both 1TB harddisks, meant for storage.

Plan is to have multiple VM's to be tested, let's call them beta releases. Then when one makes it to the next step it will be installed on sda3 and sda4 and I call it the release candidate. sda1 and sda2 are of course meant for the stable version.

And now I stop drinking, I think I have had enough already for today.
deleted

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by deleted »

Just installed on my netbook
ASUS 1015E
Looks great!
-H
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by Jedinovice »

As I say, I am not in a position timewise or techwise to test 18 KDE but I am able to check the forums.

Very interesting. When the other editions came out the blogs was fall of comments reporting various bugs. Now, while users have reported bugs, after an initial 24 posts, the blog has been frozen. No more reports.

This suggests that, other than an initial flurry of bugs, mainly to do with Dolphin, everything has settled down. Moreso than for the other DE's.

Suggests that Mint 18 KDE is a winner… ?
hmmm.jpg
Hmmm...

[Have requested a day off in early September to sleep and repairs to the test machine continue… very very slowly given my workload.]
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by JosephM »

Very interesting. When the other editions came out the blogs was fall of comments reporting various bugs. Now, while users have reported bugs, after an initial 24 posts, the blog has been frozen. No more reports.

This suggests that, other than an initial flurry of bugs, mainly to do with Dolphin, everything has settled down. Moreso than for the other DE's.

Suggests that Mint 18 KDE is a winner… ?
I think it is pretty much always like this. For one Kde coming much later means that bugs that were found in early releases were already fixed. I'm also pretty sure that it is a decent indicator, even though I know some people are bid kde fans, of the relative popularity of Mints different desktop offerings.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
User avatar
Dr G
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by Dr G »

Jedinovice wrote:As I say, I am not in a position timewise or techwise to test 18 KDE but I am able to check the forums.

Very interesting. When the other editions came out the blogs was fall of comments reporting various bugs. Now, while users have reported bugs, after an initial 24 posts, the blog has been frozen. No more reports.

This suggests that, other than an initial flurry of bugs, mainly to do with Dolphin, everything has settled down. Moreso than for the other DE's.

Suggests that Mint 18 KDE is a winner… ?
hmmm.jpgHmmm...

[Have requested a day off in early September to sleep and repairs to the test machine continue… very very slowly given my workload.]
Wish I could share your optimism, but there is something else going on with the blog. I posted a comment to the blog early on Saturday (late Friday my time), and it is still marked as "Your comment is awaiting moderation." If that means no one else is seeing it, then it may also mean that there are backlogged posts.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by Jedinovice »

OK, totally, like, tired as overwork kicks in. Sooo looking forward to papers coming in and being able to set up for myself next year and being able to say, "No! Sod off you lazy bloodsucking parasites! You know you have a University entrance exam to prepare for and so you ask me to help with TWO weeks to go and then expect fifteen hours personal tuition a day… Bugger off!"

OK, it's more likely to be, "Yes, yes, of course. I understand completely. It's hard to plan and prepare for your University application with only four years to work out how to study for an essential life qualification that is a known world standard. I will, of course, aid you much as I can over the next two weeks at fifteen hours a day… in return for a mere 25% of your father's business…"

Or something like that…

Anyway… back to the plot…
I think it is pretty much always like this.
You may be right. I don't recall. But, right now I can't remember what day of the week it is or what my second name is. But, till... Plasma 4 was basically frozen from Mint 17.0 onwards - and thus, I have remained on 17.0 - and so there was nothing for KDE users to really look forward to. This release it's totally different because anyone that wants up to date KDE and apps needs Plasma 5. So 18.0 is more of a milestone for KDE users than the others.
For one Kde coming much later means that bugs that were found in early releases were already fixed.
True… as far as it goes. But give that Plasma 5 is, in essence, a completely new DE with all new API's and different ways of doing things, there is a lot that could go wrong - and seems to have been the case on other KDE distros… though exactly what causes what problems in other distros I am not clear on yet.
I'm also pretty sure that it is a decent indicator, even though I know some people are bid kde fans, of the relative popularity of Mints different desktop offerings.
Again, not convinced. For a start, KDE is more popular than XFCE on Mint. Also, as I say, the last set of releases were of no significance to KDE users. This one is quite different! It's critical to KDE users! So I would have expected minimal feedback on Mint 17.x because nothing in KDE changed. But Plasma 5 is a whole new DE, in essence! There should be a lot of feedback!
Wish I could share your optimism, but there is something else going on with the blog. I posted a comment to the blog early on Saturday (late Friday my time), and it is still marked as "Your comment is awaiting moderation." If that means no one else is seeing it, then it may also mean that there are backlogged posts.
Ah yes… That makes a fair amount of sense. I assume the moderator has suffered a fatal heart attack. Could someone prod him with a sharp stick, attach electrodes to soft bits and send an email to purgatory to have his spirit returned to his body…? That's always been SOP where I worked where someone has died from overwork.

Look, I'm tired, OK?
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24971
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by xenopeek »

Clem handles everything for the blog. Between investigation issues reported and fixing them, sometimes it takes longer for comments to be approved or there may be a reason yours isn't approved.
Image
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by thom_A »

It's not as solid as Mint 17.3 KDE yet, but it's usable. The main problem I'm getting is the wifi password having to constantly type it after a reboot.
Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”