Mint 18KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by JosephM »

Again, not convinced. For a start, KDE is more popular than XFCE on Mint.
I'm pretty sure you have no real way to back this up. After spending a couple years on the dev team you get a decent idea of the relative popularity of the different DE's. My guess would be the XFCE and KDE are fairly close. Both are behind Mate and Cinnamon seems the most popular by a good bit.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
eddier
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eddier »

tdockery97 wrote:Found workaround for video thumbnail problem. Just required a symlink. Now my KDE 18 is sweeeet!
Found your symlink on Mint Blog. Thank-you,Thank-you,Thank-you!! My camera RAW files are now displaying Thumbnails,How did you stumble across that one? I.m now wondering if its a similar problem affecting xfce and Mate.

Just found another (minor) Gotcha with "Desktop Settings" "get new Wallpaper" Dialogue. It displays "Some dialogues are missing" and shows no wallpaper.
Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G »

xenopeek wrote:Clem handles everything for the blog. Between investigation issues reported and fixing them, sometimes it takes longer for comments to be approved or there may be a reason yours isn't approved.
No worries. My post was fairly nondescript, so I assumed Clem was either swamped or in need of a break. Heaven knows he's earned it (not to mention the rest of the team).

My many thanks to Clem and his team. Come this weekend I hope to help find any remaining bugs. :mrgreen:
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

JosephM wrote:
I'm pretty sure you have no real way to back this up. After spending a couple years on the dev team you get a decent idea of the relative popularity of the different DE's. My guess would be the XFCE and KDE are fairly close. Both are behind Mate and Cinnamon seems the most popular by a good bit.
Ok, a few things…

If you're on the dev team then I'll take your word on it. There were some polls and figures floating around on the forums a while back which showed KDE ahead of Xfce but, as I say, I am only just standing with my classes this week. Next week is a bit easier but I will never have a life until I set up myself. Good news is that client's are already asking me when I can book them in. I don;t have to worry about customers. But, as far as going hunting through the forums for the figures goes, it would take an age and I am jumping from class to class, school to school with limited internet access so I ain't going hunting now. I'll bow to the developer on this.

I know that Mint has always been a GNOME house. Indeed, that is why Cinnamon and Mate came into being. Mint was wedded to GNOME and when GNOME went… insane… Mint stepped up and produced the premier fork. And good for them. But I know that KDE is not top of the list for the Mint project and, yes, Cinnamon is the flagship product and the 'default' for Mint - effectively synonymous. As Cinnamon has developed I note it picks up more of the functionality of KDE and I would to be able to look at it more closely some time. Likely when I am running my own business and have two days off a week, mind. Trouble is that I do like the KDE/QT apps…

But it's not exactly a popularity contest. As it is, my point has been utterly blown away by the rotting corpse of Clem being reanimated and the blog backlog cleared with - at the time of typing - 101 comments and a shed load of bugs reported. Alas, no time to test and my test machine is currently in around 100 pieces in a tupperware box.

Ah well. At least Clem and co. are on the case.

And my thanks to the developers for their hard work and making Mint so nice in all its incarnations. There are things I like in all the DE's in Mint!

Student turned up - back to work!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
virusdunil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by virusdunil »

Hello everyone...

any news about FGLRX driver (ati/radeon gpu) ?

will there be any development or its definitely dead ? :(

cheers
HP Compaq dc7700p Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Kernel: 4.1.2-040102-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.2
Dual core Intel Core2 6400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB clock speeds: max: 2133 MHz
ATI/Radeon HD5400 Series-1024mo/650MHZ
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

virusdunil wrote:any news about FGLRX driver (ati/radeon gpu) ?

will there be any development or its definitely dead ? :(
It is definitely dead. If you need AMD's closed source driver because their open source driver isn't working well enough for you, please stay on Linux Mint 17.3 KDE till AMD's new closed source driver is available. That may be with Linux Mint 18.1 KDE around year end.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

JosephM wrote:
Sorry to kinda zombie a thread but, by chance, I came these figures in another thread supporting my point re: KDE.
I have no idea where the figures come from mind and I'm not taking it too seriously. But just saying, I did see some figures somewhere!!

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=228486&p=1208580&h ... e#p1208580
Well, the order of most users that use Linux Mint Distro''s is :
49 percent Cinnamon (generally used on newer equipment)
20 percent Mate (generally used on both newer and older equipment)
12 percent KDE (generally used on higher end PC's)
11 percent LMDE (debian version)
09 percent Xfce (used in older PC's)
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I haven't the slightest idea where those number came from. Even if they were correct it matches what I said, "KDE and XFCE are pretty close". Especially when you consider them in comparison to Mate and Cinnamon.

In the end it doesn't really matter. There are a decent number of users out there who use both the KDE and XFCE editions, which makes them worth having.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

JosephM wrote:I haven't the slightest idea where those number came from. Even if they were correct it matches what I said, "KDE and XFCE are pretty close". Especially when you consider them in comparison to Mate and Cinnamon.

In the end it doesn't really matter. There are a decent number of users out there who use both the KDE and XFCE editions, which makes them worth having.
i agree with both points. Like I said, I don't know where the figures come from either!
I also agree it doesn't matter a hill of beans. I just wanted to show that I did see some figures! :D

I might trace the source of this now I have seen it but duty calls me away again!
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

JosephM wrote:I haven't the slightest idea where those number came from. Even if they were correct it matches what I said, "KDE and XFCE are pretty close". Especially when you consider them in comparison to Mate and Cinnamon.

I suspect the source is Linux Mint Community. As for the veracity of these numbers, but I think the Users By Release figures are suspect.

I am pretty sure at one time there was a link to the LM Community site on the main LM site. If it is still there it is well hidden.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Reorx wrote:+1 This is almost exactly my story as well. Although I don't even add a PPA for GRUB customizer - I just D/L the appropriate .deb file and install from it. This is what the HD on my experimentation machine looks like >>>

<Click to enlarge>
Nice-looking partition map. Yes. All you really need to add is the root (/) for each partition, then install. It's pretty much the same as mine, except mine still has Windows, and ntfs drives, which Linux can read.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”