What is old oldest computer you saved with Linux?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What is old oldest computer you saved with Linux?

Post by millpond » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:48 pm

The thing to keep in mind is that newer machines are mainly designed to keep you buying newer junk while at the same time slowly - ever so slowly - introducing feature such as 'execution prevention' and Ring 0 lockouts to give you ever less control over your systems. Not tinfoil hat stuff, but actually implemented in some places, like in South America where school laptops can be locked out of booting from a central server. Now use the logic of the syllogism.

Of course there is also the fact that ever larger and higher definition video requires humongous GPUs and ever faster CPUs and ginormous hard drives to hold 10G videos, which are 'normally' viewable on older machines fine if in xvid in 700meg. Multimedia machines need to be newer and faster, and when Virtual Reality takes off, folks will prolly need to use server stacks with racks of (redesigned) Bitcoin mining type ASICs and rewire the homes to 250Amps. Or else dispense with the desktops for 'thin clients' which will do everything from the cloud, where the super and quantum computers will be able to handle the throughput.

But computers are not always used for home entertainment. When used for productivity, as in office or production use - the actual requirements are minimal, allowing older machines to come into their own, while at the same time avoid the invasive new thechnologies that bedevil newer systems.

My 'main' system where is XP. Never updated. Firewall turned off. No background AV. Hooked normally direct to router (Honey Pot!!!). Run only as Admin. On an ancient Athlon system. Older than some folks here.
I normally unintentionally click on infected programs at least once a month. What happens? Nothing. The newer boogers require newer versions of .Net and cant get out. About once a year something sneaks through, and if I cant kill it, I reset the system using Erunt to restore the registry. Linux on it runs actually a little slower, but completely OK outside of the common Distro issues.

I use the older machines for office apps, basic graphics including photographic apps (not everyone needs Photoshop CC when older versions work fine in older machines), building websites, local servers, running databases and apps for an online business, etc. Its amazing what even a P3 can do - or even a PII if you attach a serial port to an Arduino and have it do things like contol sensors, cameras, and the like. I have a complete home security system in the works using an old boat anchor.

jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:20 pm

I've got two old machines running Linux. This one:

Toshiba-Satellite-Pro-M40 Kernel: 4.4.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: Satellite Pro M40 v: PSM46C-CZ10XE
Mobo: ATI model: SB400 v: Rev0.4b
Bios: Phoenix v: 1.20 date: 10/25/05

I've also got a Thinkpad T42 running Lubuntu dating from 2003/4.

Impressed as I am by Mint, I may switch away from Lubuntu and install Mint on the T42.

Both machines are used primarily for email, browsing and bittorrent. They are both a bit underpowered to view HD video but OK for lower res.
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5850 4GB Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 3.4.6

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:16 am

The prototype project "Nomad-1" I have been working on is about 80% complete. Alas, my schedule is FULL for the next few days (and now I have formally handed my notice in I expect the company to bury me with work to squeeze the last penny out of me before I got it alone...) but I hope I will be able to test the machine in the not far distant future.

If it all works it will be a major restore of olde tech.

I just have to find time to buy a mass of different sized screws. Not easy when you work six days a week.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:54 am

Well, it's not the oldest machine I resurrected, but it had to have something done.

I worked for Dell (onsite service) for 8 years. They do not take plastic parts back, so I have enough pieces to make 4 D620 laptops. So I made one with a motherboard from eBay and a screen from a broken HP. I got a battery (genuine Dell) for $15 on eBay and some RAM from Staples.

I had to go out and reconfigure a router, but when I got there the contractor had done most of it, so we had to have someone from British Telecom connect and put it online. I connected it to the D620 and Windows 7 locked up solid when he tried to WebX into it. Luckily the contractor had an HP, also running W7 but working and the guy from BT was able to connect and iron out a couple bugs.

What an embarrassment!

I got home, did a few things, and loaded 17.2 on it. Works just fine!
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:27 pm

I know it's not old yet but it's getting there: my wife's 8 year old Dell Inspiron 530 with a quad core processor and 3Gb of RAM, a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3650 graphics card and a Hard Drive 640GB Serial ATA non Raid (7200 Rpm)
Was delivered with Vista, soon to be replaced by 7. Worked well till a bout 1 1/2 years ago, then she started complaining about it being so slow. I gave her a choice: either re-install 7 or upgrade to Mint 17 KDE. She had seen my computer running Linux for some years already ( I started in 2008) and so the choice was easy: Linux Mint.
Since then no more problems, I take care of updates and backup, she just uses the computer. If she needs another program I install it for here, put a link on the desktop so she can start it and that's it.
No more anti-virus, anti-adware, defragmentation, no more bullshit stuff killing your computer, no, just a clean OS, some user programs from a trusted source and a happy wife.

MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:11 pm

I'm running Mint 18 XFCE on a Dell XPS M140 laptop that my parents gave me for my 18th birthday in April 2006. It originally came with an Intel ProSet Wireless 2200B/G wifi card, 512MB RAM, a 1.73GHz Pentium M with an i915GM chipset, and Windows XP Media Center Edition on a 5400RPM 60GB PATA HDD. I upgraded the RAM to the max of 2GB probably 8 or 9 years ago when XP started getting slow. Within the last 3 months I decided to max out the processor with a 2.26GHz Pentium M I found on eBay for $17 and replace the dead battery. It handles pretty much everything I throw at it. It runs Chromium, Thunderbird, and LibreOffice with ease and also handles compositing and Cairo-Dock. It can even handle SNES9X and Kega Fusion for games. It has also proven pretty useful since I decided to go back to college and finally get a Bachelor's Degree. I originally experimented with Puppy Linux, but I found it to be more primitive than the OS it was replacing. I decided to try out a couple different versions of Lubuntu, and eventually settled on Mint 18 XFCE since Mint and XFCE are more polished than Lubuntu and LXDE. I also use Mint 18 KDE on my desktop so I like having a little familiarity between the two.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:48 pm

MMcD488 wrote:I'm running Mint 18 XFCE on a Dell XPS M140 laptop that my parents gave me for my 18th birthday in April 2006. It originally came with an Intel ProSet Wireless 2200B/G wifi card, 512MB RAM, a 1.73GHz Pentium M with an i915GM chipset, and Windows XP Media Center Edition on a 5400RPM 60GB PATA HDD. I upgraded the RAM to the max of 2GB probably 8 or 9 years ago when XP started getting slow. Within the last 3 months I decided to max out the processor with a 2.26GHz Pentium M I found on eBay for $17 and replace the dead battery. It handles pretty much everything I throw at it. It runs Chromium, Thunderbird, and LibreOffice with ease and also handles compositing and Cairo-Dock. It can even handle SNES9X and Kega Fusion for games. It has also proven pretty useful since I decided to go back to college and finally get a Bachelor's Degree. I originally experimented with Puppy Linux, but I found it to be more primitive than the OS it was replacing. I decided to try out a couple different versions of Lubuntu, and eventually settled on Mint 18 XFCE since Mint and XFCE are more polished than Lubuntu and LXDE. I also use Mint 18 KDE on my desktop so I like having a little familiarity between the two.

Those were great laptops. They had a few issues but overall they work quite well.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:Those were great laptops. They had a few issues but overall they work quite well.
I agree. I love mine. The only issue that I've had is that mine tends to run a little on the warm side. I actually made that slightly better when I changed processors though because I removed the junk thermal tape on the heatsink that wasn't doing its job anymore and replaced it with some good Noctua paste that I had left over from changing heatsinks on my desktop.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:10 pm

MMcD488 wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:Those were great laptops. They had a few issues but overall they work quite well.
I agree. I love mine. The only issue that I've had is that mine tends to run a little on the warm side. I actually made that slightly better when I changed processors though because I removed the junk thermal tape on the heatsink that wasn't doing its job anymore and replaced it with some good Noctua paste that I had left over from changing heatsinks on my desktop.
For the Desktops Dell sends us out with Shin Etsu paste in a thin syringe.

When I was building my Xeon desktop I did some research and discovered Shin Etsu's heat dissapating properties are better than Arctic Silver and a lot of others.

When I do laptops they send out the tape junk. It's made by Loctite so it should be OK, but when replacing the heatsink I wipe off that stuff and replace it with the Shin Etsu and throw the tape away. There's more in a tube than is needed for a desktop CPU and enough in one tube for 7-8 laptops.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Ok, I can reveal all now though it’s a bit sad. I tried for a wooden laptop.

I was trying to restore my old single core atom netbook in wood. - yes, a wooden laptop My father in law is a carpenter and we gave it a good go but in the end it proved impossible.
  • My hours are far too crazy to complete anything. I wanted my anime club this year and it didn’t happen. The only way I can have any life outside of work is for my business to be started up in January.
    To that end, what time I have outside of work must be spent on VISA and setting up the business and my father in law is helping refit the house. No time for time wooden laptops!
    My father in law has absolutely no idea about technology – he can barely operate a cellphone. So he was handling the motherboard roughly without earthing himself, fingers all over the ICs. The probability is that the MB is fried by now.
    The hinges to hold the monitor in place snapped. There is no way of replacing them. What cheap MSI u135Dx netbooks there were in Indonesia have been sold so cannot even buy for spares.
    Because my Father ins law is deep out of his comfort zone he kept putting off building the thing and it was increasingly clear that I was pushing a globe up a hill working against gravity. He was not not happy working on the project.
In the end, with no way of getting hinges or a replacement motherboard and with zero spare time and the stress was causing arguments at home, I cancelled the project. I mean, one problem you over come it, two problems, three but after the tenth it’s time to call it quits and stop wasting time and effort – especially when work consumes my life.

It was just too much grief and was costing more money than a brand new laptop.

So I shelved the laptop (you could almost see the relief in my father in law’s face) and installed Mint 18 KDE on my ASUS X200M while sucking my thumb. My wife has cleared the budget for a new laptop for me as compensation – given we both live and die by our laptops so we have to have a spare and we are already running on backups – but the only place I can get to, given my impossible hours, is the local Hartono store and, I don’t know what has happened to laptop tech recently but all the laptops were dreadful! Cheap, tacky, lacking USB ports, screens that wobbled if you blew on them, speakers with near zero output… I walked away.

Sucks thumb.

Shame but it was not a hill worth dying for. What is far more important is getting my business running and starting up my anime club – delayed by 18 months now!

So, new things in a New year!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

arky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arky » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Oldest computer that I saved with Linux Mint ?

Well, I tried to put it on my Radio Shack CoCo with 4K ram and cassette drive,
but I couldn't find any place to buy enough tapes to put Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon on.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:11 pm

arky wrote:Oldest computer that I saved with Linux Mint ?

Well, I tried to put it on my Radio Shack CoCo with 4K ram and cassette drive,
but I couldn't find any place to buy enough tapes to put Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon on.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wimp! :?

eegrek39
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eegrek39 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:32 pm

The reverse is almost as interesting WHAT IS THE YOUNGEST COMPUTER YOU SAVED. ( How about 6 weeks). I mistakenly purchased a Toshiba Satellite in 2014 loaded with Windows 8.1 . It was slow, and continually crashed when trying to update and I became impatient with it until I managed to lose Windows entirely.I then had a machine that was as useful as a house brick. I do not have the budget to find a suitable repair so after about 6 weeks of owning the machine I was without any computing power whatsoever and with no prospect of having a machine again. I already knew there was a Ubuntu option and I thought I would try to go this route to recover the situation. What was worse the CD-ROM drive also packed up working. I had access to one of my grandson's machine for a few hours and after some research I came across Linux Mint. I managed to download Mate 17.1 on a Thumb drive and tried to get it to work. It did work from the drive but I could not transfer this over to the operating system. I had also corrupted the boot loader.
After a week of trying a few things I finally tried a boot repair disc which did the trick. So with some relief I was in business again. I cannot tell you the relief this was. I am now in the process of coming to grips with the various applications such as Libre Office Base. This has a whole different feel about it than the Windows Access alternative. It does work however and it is exciting to overcome the various problems to make the Macros work as an alternative to Visual Basic. I have just finished an Event Diary which enables me to track all future appointments and other events throughout the year. It is much more rewarding to do this rather than have it presented to you via a windows diary option. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO WINDOWS.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:09 am

The Raspberry Pi computer has a very old design RISC chip from the 80s. The smallest Raspberry Pi processor is far slower than the oldest computer AMD/Intel/Zilog 32 bit computer I worked on. Raspbian Jessie (Debian Jessie) with the LXDE GUI works fine.

The only real speed problem is the disk access. The same is true for every old computer I resurrected. When you have to replace the failing disk, you dump Windows because Windows is too hard to reinstall and you use a new disk that is several times faster. All my old boxes have SSD.

The Raspberry Pi uses a microSD card as the system disk and you have to pay a premium to get a microSD card with a decent write speed.

I would say the saving process is four fold.
* Vacuum the dust out of the fans or replace with Noctua fans.
* Replace the disk with a TB Samsung SSD.
* Install Linux Mint 18.
* Stick a Ninja H2R badge on the front.

nickstath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nickstath » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Fujitsu-siemens model 2005 with 1.4GHz (1core) processor, 1,5 GB ram and pata hard disk 4200rpm. Everything run faster and smoother :D . It opens faster and close immediately :o with a small exception from a process called "Web Content" with high use on the CPU and making Firefox slow on some sites, Youtube for example.

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Hi!

1. Debian (Version??? Gnome 2 & GNU/Openstep) and MacOS 10.5 running a fixed PowerMac G4/466 (2 x 1 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 2 HDD; build from 3 rotten Mac's...) I believe this machine is about 15 - 16 years old :D

2. Ubuntu-Studio (Version 2010/2012 Gnome 2 & XFCE) on IBM Server from 2002 (2 x 2.6 GHz Xeons, 4 GB RAM, 6 SCSI-HDD's, super expensive 2 head nVidia CAD-Graphics-Card) all things bought used between 2008 - 2010 (...250 $ more or less)

Best Regards, Mario
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:18 am

I have a gateway lt21 netbook I purchased years ago specifically for table top gaming pdfs. Its an Atom single core 1.6 gig with 1 gig ram and 5200 rpm drive. win7 stater was well into being a snail. 17.3 xfce 32bit woke the beast right up. It can now load images smoothly and play video smoothly. I have an old 60 gig ssd I may slap in there to further the improvement.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:17 pm

“Saved” might be pushing it, but yesterday I revived a couple of old laptops. A Win98-era Compaq Armada m700 (700MHz Pentium III, 194MB RAM, 12GB HDD) and a Compaq EVO N1020v (2.4GHz Pentium 4, 466MB RAM, 40GB HDD). The batteries are long dead, the HDD on the m700 is dying, and the display on the N1020v is dead.

Both machines took to AntiX without a problem and now are somewhat functional machines. The m700 is too underpowered to do anything useful, but the N1020v could work as a backup desktop or to access a 3.5in floppy disk.

lastromantic49
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lastromantic49 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:52 pm

All my machines are old. Guess that's how I roll. I run Mint Cinnamon 17.3 on almost everything. The newest is a Toshiba Satellite C655D, from 2011. It runs a bit laggy, but good otherwise. The oldest laptop is a Dell Latitude D600 from maybe 2003. The only distro I could get to work reliably with that one and automatically find the wifi card was Zorin OS9 Lite. It's been a couple of years now and it still works fine. I keep it around for use in our woodworking shop. We also have a small Asus Eee PC 4G with almost no hdd and little memory. I have used an older release of Ubuntu on it but it currently has Bodhi Linux. Runs good with almost no resources available. A Dell Latitude E5400 from 2009 required Zorin OS10 Lite to find everything and work well. Three other Dells of about that date use Mint 17.3 Cinnamon as stated. I also have an old HP desktop handy for occasional use that dual boots XP and Mint 17 Cinnamon. Don't know the age on it, but it was originally an XP machine. I do have a few legacy programs that sometimes act up under XP on VM or in Wine. I have too many, no doubt, but they were all basically free and I've spent very little to refurbish them.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”