My honest thought about Linux Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rustyworks

My honest thought about Linux Mint.

Post by rustyworks »

I use linux intensively about 1 year.
----------------------------------------------------------
The first Linux I tried is Ubuntu 14.04 - Trusty Tahr using wubi
I had to reinstall the Linux twice because I downloading without knowing the software (for example I try to download some emulator that have conflict with the current library).

The advantage of Trusty Tahr is:
- Almost no crash
- Almost no bugs
- Shortcut to change windows (super + number) make me productive as developer.
The disadvantages is:
- Some package from ubuntu software center is too old

After that I remove the 14.04 wubi and create partition and install the Ubuntu 16.04
And guess what? Some problem arise
I have many bugs (I don't know, maybe because my hardware not compatible)
Here is the list of bugs that I got:
- fwupd sometimes takes 100% cpu
- If I go to standby, and then wake up, the cursor is missing (known as missing cursor bugs)
- Often crash
- Cannot connecting to wifi (the button connect is disable)
- Hanging shutdown sometimes - about 1.5 minutes

The things that I don't like in Ubuntu:
- The system cannot remember the 'brightness'. You should tweak using this
http://askubuntu.com/questions/540911/h ... untu-14-04
- The bluetooth keep turn on even if you turn off if you restart. You should tweak using this
http://askubuntu.com/questions/67758/ho ... em-startup
- The mkv codec should be downloaded separately

After having a bit nightmare of Xenial, I change to elementary os
Here is the advantages of elementary os
- Neat workspace
- Minimalize, so we can pick the software we want
- Cool terminal color (monokai)
- Have calendar agenda

and here is the disadvantages of elementary os
- Most of builtins apps like midori, doesn't do the 'job' well
- The pantheon terminal is lack of customable - you cannot change easily the color scheme font or other
- Sometimes sling is crash
- Always hard crash when trying to connect my bluetooth speaker
- Doesn't memorize the current folder if you navigate using keyboard (after go to sub folder)
- After upgrade, the cursor bugs that I found in Xenial happen in elementary

So I am very upset with this, and trying to choose the Linux mint 18 Sarah - Cinnamon
At the first, I see the funny "Don't break my system" when upgrading. So I thought this really for me :)

And guess what?
- I never had the "Unexpected Crash" while I use mint (I don't know why, does the mint hide the crash or what haha)
- Even the Tomboy note that often crash while I use ubuntu, it never crash in here.
- All multimedia including MKV is works in mint!
- Mint can save my bluetooth setting, brightness setting without 'hacking'
- Windows snapping half vertically (super + up) or (super + down) wow, this is make me easily developing web
- Don't break my laptop update !!
- Builtins firewall
- All annoying bugs like cursor bugs is nothing here
- Password manager (without installing)
- No flickering in Google chrome!! - In other linux, the chrome should disable the hardware acceleration, but in mint, it works without disabling it
- Gif picture can be opened with default app :D

Happy Developer and also user is here, using mint.
PS: Does anyone know why linux mint in my case almost never show any crash? Is mint tweaking the application or what? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Re: My honest thought about Linux Mint.

Post by thom_A »

Posters of these types of threads need to specify which Linux Mint they're talking about.

It's got 5 flavors: Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE, LMDE. All are very distinct from each other.

Please specify which flavor you are talking about.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

thom_A wrote: Please specify which flavor you are talking about.
Here you go:
rustyworks wrote: trying to choose the Linux mint 18 Sarah - Cinnamon

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint,enjoy. Mint does a lot of things better whether you are using Ubuntu, or Debian as it's base.
rustyworks

Post by rustyworks »

Crewp wrote:Welcome to Linux Mint,enjoy. Mint does a lot of things better whether you are using Ubuntu, or Debian as it's base.
Thanks, I change my development environment from windows to linux.

When I use ubuntu or elementary I tend to write 'sudo rm /var/crash/*' alot, because the crash happened often. Even in windows, I sometimes found my self in condition 'not responding'. But I never do that in mint.
What makes mint more stable than ubuntu? Isn't mint derived from ubuntu (ubuntu based) or mint is separated / independent from ubuntu?
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

rustyworks wrote:
Crewp wrote:Welcome to Linux Mint,enjoy. Mint does a lot of things better whether you are using Ubuntu, or Debian as it's base.
Thanks, I change my development environment from windows to linux.

When I use ubuntu or elementary I tend to write 'sudo rm /var/crash/*' alot, because the crash happened often. Even in windows, I sometimes found my self in condition 'not responding'. But I never do that in mint.
What makes mint more stable than ubuntu? Isn't mint derived from ubuntu (ubuntu based) or mint is separated / independent from ubuntu?

I am not a developer so I cannot give you specific details of how Mint is different. But, being a long time user, I can say that Mint is tweaked to be very user friendly right out of the box. My wife uses LM 17.3 Rosa, and it works flawlessly, I use LMDE 2 and I tell you from experience that when I use pure Debian, it is a lot of work. ie: getting the wifi to run, just getting it to auto start without password. But Mint makes all this easy so you can get to work on what you really want to use your computer for. I tried loading Ubuntu 16.04 on a test machine I play around with, and it was buggy.
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

I'm surprised that LM 18 has been much better for you than Ubuntu 16.04, because except for LMDE (based on debian) LM 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04. I could make a couple guesses though.
1. release schedule? Ubuntu gets released on a schedule, with 16.04 it is possible they did not get all the bugs out when they released it in April. Mint, on the other hand, put LM 18 through more development before releasing it, when they were ready. They still haven't released a KDE version for LM 18 other than a beta, probably because they aren't satisfied with its stability.
2. update policy? I've had the problem multiple times of an Ubuntu security update, usually a kernel update, crashing my system. Usually I could roll back the kernel to get it working again, but sometimes not. Especially since I used AMD cards at the time with the fglrx driver, sometimes the kernel could not be rolled back without uninstalling fglrx from command line, reinstalling xorg to get any kernel working right, and then reinstalling fglrx. The final straw was when I filed a bug report about one such incident, only to have it merged with another prior bug report showing that Canonical already knew that the kernel update would break systems with fglrx and pushed the update anyway. That is when I switched over to Linux Mint.
3. Unity desktop environment? Ubuntu pushes its default version (Unity). I used Ubuntu 16.04 gnome for a couple months, and was satisfied with it. Since I didn't try Unity on 16.04, maybe that default version had more bugs than Gnome on 16.04 and Cinnamon or Mate on LM 18?
rustyworks

Post by rustyworks »

Crewp wrote:I am not a developer so I cannot give you specific details of how Mint is different. But, being a long time user, I can say that Mint is tweaked to be very user friendly right out of the box. My wife uses LM 17.3 Rosa, and it works flawlessly, I use LMDE 2 and I tell you from experience that when I use pure Debian, it is a lot of work. ie: getting the wifi to run, just getting it to auto start without password. But Mint makes all this easy so you can get to work on what you really want to use your computer for. I tried loading Ubuntu 16.04 on a test machine I play around with, and it was buggy.
This make me want to recommending Linux Mint to my friends.
uberdorf wrote:I'm surprised that LM 18 has been much better for you than Ubuntu 16.04, because except for LMDE (based on debian) LM 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04. I could make a couple guesses though.
1. release schedule? Ubuntu gets released on a schedule, with 16.04 it is possible they did not get all the bugs out when they released it in April. Mint, on the other hand, put LM 18 through more development before releasing it, when they were ready. They still haven't released a KDE version for LM 18 other than a beta, probably because they aren't satisfied with its stability.
2. update policy? I've had the problem multiple times of an Ubuntu security update, usually a kernel update, crashing my system. Usually I could roll back the kernel to get it working again, but sometimes not. Especially since I used AMD cards at the time with the fglrx driver, sometimes the kernel could not be rolled back without uninstalling fglrx from command line, reinstalling xorg to get any kernel working right, and then reinstalling fglrx. The final straw was when I filed a bug report about one such incident, only to have it merged with another prior bug report showing that Canonical already knew that the kernel update would break systems with fglrx and pushed the update anyway. That is when I switched over to Linux Mint.
3. Unity desktop environment? Ubuntu pushes its default version (Unity). I used Ubuntu 16.04 gnome for a couple months, and was satisfied with it. Since I didn't try Unity on 16.04, maybe that default version had more bugs than Gnome on 16.04 and Cinnamon or Mate on LM 18?
Ah, that's reason makes sense when I see the bugs report from ubuntu and mint comparison
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ -> Seems too many critical bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint -> Mostly medium bugs

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”