Are you already using Mint 18?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which Mint version are you using: 17.x or 18?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:56 am

Mint 18
51%
Mint 17.x
46%
Other, namely:
4%

Total votes: 83

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Are you already using Mint 18?

Post by Portreve »

I ran the beta in basically it's penultimate stage before 18 was released, and I've been running 18 since that time.

The only concern I ever have is being able to support my printer, which requires manually installing hplip direct from HP because I can't find any other way to get it to install the stupid "filter".

It's been pretty solid for me.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

InkKnife wrote:[...]
Do you use the version of Playonlinux from the repo or use a PPA?
The repo version - PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

still running Qiana on this machine
:shock:

but do have Mint 18 running in a VB, as well.
8)

also: have upgraded two other PCs to LM18, as in, for real.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

still running mint 17.3 on this work station until 2019, got to many set ups to go changing things now.
the other toy has arch cinnamon on it, still like my bleeding edge on a system I use for fooling around on when I get bored.

Once get my new work station toy I'll shove mint 18 on it and this one will go to my mother and I'll upgrade it to mint 18 for her or shove mint xfce on it for her, she loves xfce but I might be able to convert her over to cinnamon.

As long as she can surf her google and use youtube and gmail it's all good for her.

As far as my workstation all things have to be stable as heck for me so I am hesitant to change quickly on it.
It usually takes me a couple of days to set everything up the way I need it work, so once done it stays that way until no choice or a new computer walks in the door :D (hoping)

Sam
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

I voted Mint 18, installed I have:

Mint 17.3 Cinnamon
Mint 18 Cinnamon
Mint 18 Xfce
Mint 18 KDE
PCLinuxOS MATE
Windows 8.1

I began using Mint/Cinnamon 17.2 in January and upgraded to 17.3 shortly after it's release. I had problems with Cinnamon after the upgrade so wiped it and did a fresh install of 17.3 and worked fine after that.

After a HD format (when box went in for warranty repair) in June, I installed Cinnamon 18 to try it out and stuck with it over 17.3 (which I installed as a backup.) When 18 Xfce was released I gave it a try and within a couple of weeks it became my primary DE. I decided I wanted an alternative distro for a backup and went with PCLOS, I use it maybe 10% of the time and Mint Xfce the rest. KDE was added just because I could but I haven't really spent much time on it. There were no issues to speak of with any of these installs and my reason for switching from Cinnamon to Xfce was just personal preference.

Windows is just there because it was the factory install ... and that is exactly how it remains! Once I get an SSD I'll probably go with Mint Xfce & PCLinuxOS on it and this HD will be formatted and relegated to data storage.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Running 18 here works great. ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

I voted for Mint 18 because I have it installed on a second hard drive for my Dell Zino workstation. I don't use it on a daily basis but I do use it. I just need to spend more time with it to put it through its paces. Currently there are no problems and everything has worked "out of the box."

My daily computer, this Dell Latitude E6400, has had Mint 17.3 Cinnamon installed since January 2016. Works perfectly too.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Sounds like this poll needs to have the option 'both'! Although personally I figured that the intention was for us to state which version we use as a 'daily driver'. Sounds like for you, that's 17.3 right now.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Installed Mint 18 Cinnamon over 17.3. No issues with the OS itself but have had problems with Banshee media player. It is very slow to open and sometimes it compeltely removes the music library si I have had to point it to the music folder more than a few times. Kinda disappointed because I use Banshee a lot and is the only music player that I like in Linux.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

kyphi wrote:
@ xdicey - If you are experiencing wi-fi problems, create a post and ask for help. A 25 feet wired connection is not a solution.

Oh, I have done so and have gotten great assistance including changing the kernel version which lasts the longest but then the problem recurs. So instead of inflicting the same pain on the forum, the 25ft cable is it and the printer still works on wifi without dropping.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Well, the interim score of this poll amazes me..... I didn't expect that Mint 17.x would still score about 50 %. :shock:

This is quite different from a comparable poll that I held on the Dutch Ubuntu forum, where usage of Ubuntu 14.04.x has dropped to some 20 % and Ubuntu 16.04.x has risen to about 60 %.

This may have something to do with the way that Ubuntu "pushes" its upgrades, by means of a clearly visible button in its Update Manager. Mint has, quite sensibly, made the in-place upgrade option much less visible.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
GlennJohnson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GlennJohnson »

Since the day it was released on both desktop and laptop.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

Still happily using 17.2 on both desktop and laptop. I use a lot of PlayOnLinux games that took me ages to set up and configure so I won't upgrade until I absolutely have to.
Hollandhook

Post by Hollandhook »

Mint 18 on my laptop. Mint 17.1 on my desktop, only because I can't get 18 to install. I've tried every version of Mint 18, along with every version of Ubuntu 16.04. I can't get from the login screen to the system because of a locked screen. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong; my skills are only so-so. I do have AMD graphics, so it's not expected to work, but that's true for my laptop, too, where it does work with no problems.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Still using at Linux Mint 17.3. Linux Mint 18 have bugs, the biggest is systemd.
rustyworks

Post by rustyworks »

First time using linux mint, and use 18 :)
All works well!

Note:
On my friend laptop, also using linux mint 18, but must be updated (Don't break my computer) because it still have bugs "invisible cursor" when suspend, if you don't update it.

A bit confuse when trying to pip install (mostly doesn't works well until you use virtualenv or sudo), but whatever, I'm using virtualenv anyway :)

Need simple tweak:
1. Hiding the vlc to system tray
2. Use solid color to terminal
3. Make vlc default player
4. Do simple tweak for sticky notes desklet (not to delete if we press esc)
5. And map my capslock to ctrl for preventing strain pinky :D
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I've gone full blown with Mint 18 KDE now. All of the apps taken from Software manager are working, not to mention the appimages and portable apps taken from Krita and Blender website. I really like Mint 18 Xfce and Mint 17.3 KDE, but there's no more point for me to split my time running all of these Mint flavors. I just prefer Dolphin and Kate, and also have to get familiar with updated versions of apps like handbrake, mkv toolnix, etc., which are not available in 17.3 software repository.
Screenshot_2064.png
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

I've been a LM 17.1 user for a little while now and still prefer it to LM 18.

I'm also disappointed in the fact that I'm unable to install and use Google Earth.
I have read and tried to install Google Earth as per all of the fixes and solutions etc and it just has been a no go process as I'm unwilling to be satisfied with Google Earth half way working.
I can live with that as I still have good old LM 17.1 which allows me to use Google Earth.

The other problem I find is the system monitor is not accurate as is found to be the same in Ubuntu 16.04.
Another minor issue I can live with as htop works OK.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/787642/s ... mory-usage

The other thing is I fail to see all of the great new features that I read about in several reviews and the LM Forums.
LM 18 is OK and really can't complain as it does seem to work pretty well for my minimal computer needs.
Hopefully these minor issues will be solved with the next point release.

All in all LM 18 is A-OK.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The Old Timer wrote:I have read and tried to install Google Earth as per all of the fixes and solutions etc and it just has been a no go process as I'm unwilling to be satisfied with Google Earth half way working.
I can live with that as I still have good old LM 17.1 which allows me to use Google Earth.
Old Timer, have you tried this:

http://apipeandakeyboard.com/2016/07/03 ... -18-64bit/
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
rhY

Post by rhY »

The Dark Side wrote:Still using at Linux Mint 17.3. Linux Mint 18 have bugs, the biggest is systemd.
Can confirm. I've had nothing but stability issues with every version of Mint since adopting systemd upstream.

Crashes, dropped connectivity, memory overruns, slowness.

I have already moved my serious production machines to Devuan with Mate, and they have NONE of those issues.

Same story with Debian. Debian 8 is basically worthless. Constant crashing, memory overruns, tons of swap used, instability, broken updates. I never had any of these problems with Pre-systemD mint or Debian 7 and before. They were always super stable.

It's too bad, too, because Mint was really doing well and picking up steam. Only to be blackflagged by redhat cr@p right when the world needed a better alternative to Windows 10 and that nightmare.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”