KDE and other DE's in Mint 18 (Beta)?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

KDE and other DE's in Mint 18 (Beta)?

Post by Jedinovice »

Simple question - for once.

For those running Mint 18 KDE Beta.. Can you run any other DE alongside it?
If so, which ones run OK?

I have had total failure on this in Mint KDE 17.0 and am not in a position to test 18.

Thanks.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: KDE and other DE's in Mint 18 (Beta)?

Post by jimallyn »

It is not recommended to install more than one DE. Some people have done it anyway. Some got away with it, some screwed up their system.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

jimallyn wrote:It is not recommended to install more than one DE. Some people have done it anyway. Some got away with it, some screwed up their system.
Ah. I didn't know that.
Mint 13 let me install anything. Mint 17 would run nothng beyond KDE.
Rick solid, mind you.

OK, that's a plan blown.

Well, onto the next step of netbook restoration...
[I will test carefully before I finalise an install. Ihave to woth an unknown hardware config plus unknown DE, PLasma 5.]
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

The first Linux distro I used, back in 2002, came with Gnome and KDE both installed. It worked fine. But apparently things have changed over the years, and it isn't recommended anymore.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

jimallyn wrote:The first Linux distro I used, back in 2002, came with Gnome and KDE both installed. It worked fine. But apparently things have changed over the years, and it isn't recommended anymore.
Ahh... well, when my little netbook is restored - it is, in essence, now becoming the prototype of another machine - I will have to give it a major shakedown anyway. So it will be a long time before I trust it with real work. So i will test KDE and other DE's carefully and be ready to re-install as needed.

When I know what works I will proceed accordingly. Trouble is, I can;t see Plasma 5 in action and don't know what it can or cannot do on a limited screen display.

Just hit the "You want what in the prototype!" moment.
Followed by the
"It's in the spec! I told you form the start!" moment.
Followed by the
"Oh bugger. How the hell do we solve this...?" moment.

:mrgreen:
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

I dig KDE as well. But from what I have read, you can add other desktop environments alongside the others. Cinnamon, MATE, & XFCE appear to play nicely together, it is KDE that is socially challenged.

That being said I have not done this, although I do have a separate partition install of all 4 on one laptop, and a separate partition install of KDE both 17.3 and 18b on another laptop. I run KDE 17.3 on my desktop.
LM18.3KDE/LM19.3Cin/Peppermint 10R/Kubuntu19.10 UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM18.3KDE/KDEneon5.18/Leap15.1/Kubuntu20.04/Kubuntu19.10/LMDE 4 UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Sgthawker wrote:I dig KDE as well. But from what I have read, you can add other desktop environments alongside the others. Cinnamon, MATE, & XFCE appear to play nicely together, it is KDE that is socially challenged. ...
Bad idea, and possible the most common type of bad noob advice. I don't know of ONE user who actually knows what they're doing who does this.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

Hoser Rob wrote: Bad idea, and possible the most common type of bad noob advice. I don't know of ONE user who actually knows what they're doing who does this.
I read that also. I also don't do it myself. Just peek at my signature, or even the above post. I was in particular pointing out that KDE doesn't work well at all at multiple DEs.
LM18.3KDE/LM19.3Cin/Peppermint 10R/Kubuntu19.10 UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM18.3KDE/KDEneon5.18/Leap15.1/Kubuntu20.04/Kubuntu19.10/LMDE 4 UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I don't even know how or why some people do it, mixing and matching DE's in a single distro. I can't even make Dolphin and Kate work in other distros without encountering issues let alone a complete DE. I also don't use Wine. I'd rather multi-boot and boot in the appropriate OS if I want to use an app that works well in that OS. You can't have everything in a distro or other OSes.
mlippert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mlippert »

That is so strange, I also had heard you could install several DE's next to one another and just select which one you wanted from the Display Manager when you login. (I thought I remembered that sometimes impatient people would start w/ Mint MATE and then add KDE.)

I'm not disputing what you're telling us, I suspect you are way more knowledgeable :D

Do you know why it doesn't work, is it mostly DE's you shouldn't mix, but you can have multiple Window Managers? If so what's the difference that causes DE's not to play nice with one another?
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

mlippert wrote:That is so strange, I also had heard you could install several DE's next to one another and just select which one you wanted from the Display Manager when you login. (I thought I remembered that sometimes impatient people would start w/ Mint MATE and then add KDE.)

I'm not disputing what you're telling us, I suspect you are way more knowledgeable :D

Do you know why it doesn't work, is it mostly DE's you shouldn't mix, but you can have multiple Window Managers? If so what's the difference that causes DE's not to play nice with one another?
I'm not perfectly clear myself. I will be experimenting when the netbook is restored. MOre work has come up so it's hiatus for now.

As I understand it though...

Cinnamon and Mate are both forks of GNOME and, this, tend to use the same libraries and file leading to conflicting writes to various settings files. That's kinda a guess but I reckon that's what's happening.
KDE now relies very heavily on Baloo for Dolphin and does not play nice with other distros because, while in theory it should be more isolated from disturbing other GTK distros but, because it uses so many libraries and low level 'material' if you try and run KDE components such ad Dolphin and Kate you'll hit troubles because Ballo and 600 other dependencies are required!

So I can see the problems... Like I say, I will test when my netbook is restored.
Yes,it did used to be the case you could run multiple DE's in Linux but it seems things have become more... complex.

"The more they overdo the plumbing the easier it is to block up the drain."
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

thom_A wrote:I don't even know how or why some people do it, mixing and matching DE's in a single distro. I can't even make Dolphin and Kate work in other distros without encountering issues let alone a complete DE. I also don't use Wine. I'd rather multi-boot and boot in the appropriate OS if I want to use an app that works well in that OS. You can't have everything in a distro or other OSes.
Wow factor. Being able to change DE is an eye opener for Windows users.
[They never change, mind. The emotional attachment to Windows is too strong. Drives me nuts when they willing pay money for software abuse!]

When my little netbook is restored - 4 weeks to go I estimate now, sigh - I will have very little screen space. I only have a resolution of 1024&600. In Cinnamon and Mate you can scroll the display for a larger virtual display which is a feature I could do with. Up until 18 KDE has not had this feature. I understand it is in there now but I am not in a position to test. So I want to see if I can switch so I can access large settings windows for altering config settings.

I don't have the disk space for multiple DE in seperate partitions. I need max HD space for storage of sources for video editing. That's why I ain't going SSD! Power over speed for me…

Power defined as flexibility and ability to get there even if it takes a long time.
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

Hoser Rob wrote: Bad idea, and possible the most common type of bad noob advice. I don't know of ONE user who actually knows what they're doing who does this.
This is why I've never done it. I'm sure I've read it somewhere on this forum, by people who seem to know what they're doing, that it is not recommended. Fortunately I have a lot of disk space and just installed the different DE's in their own partitions to try them out.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”