My review of Mint 18

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Re: My review of Mint 18

Post by MurphCID » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Which code is that? Are we referring Systemd? I really like Mint 18 Cinnamon which works pretty well. There are issues, but then again what O/S does not have its own series of issues. None is perfect. I hope that whatever issues that Dedoimedo has get corrected, because I really like to read his website.

kc1di wrote:
MurphCID wrote:I am thinking of going to Mint 18 XFCE on the Spouse-Unit's old laptop after I get her the new one, and this guy loves 17.3 XFCE: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... -xfce.html so I am hoping that 18 is just as good. He HATES 18 for some reason. I think that I want to try XFCE.
No I don't think he hate 18 as much as he hates Poettering's code. And he is welcome to his opinion, I've just not noticed the dire problems he has had.
18 runs fine for me and others that I've recommended it to. -- give it a try. you'll only loose a day or so if it does not pan out for you.

HerrDierk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HerrDierk » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Guys, what are you talking about?
I really don't care if there's a SystemD, SystemC or even a SystemX. But I do care that my PC or laptop is running stable. And as far as I know, with Mint (Cinnamon) it does. I've been using several distro's the last year but always came back to Mint. So thumbs up for Clem and his team !

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:36 pm

The SystemD controversy makes for great reading and discussion. I am hardly and expert but I have had the opportunity to get the take from two linux gurus, on a former NASA scientist and the other a former REDHAT now Cisco engineer - both of whom see amused by the controversy but not particularly upset or perplexed and certainly not angry.

I can say by experience as a work station user on several desktops two relatively new and two old door stops as well as two Lenovo laptops and a HP laptop all have been running LM18 with SystemD with no issues. Mind you these are all "run of the mill" no gaming or wine or off the wall software or hardware. They ran great on 17 and run just as well on 18.

In The Know
Level 1
Level 1

Post by In The Know » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:05 am

[quote="thom_A"And I stopped checking out other distros. Mint 18 Xfce and KDE are all I need.[/quote]

Agreed: Mint 18 is the one Linux distro to go with. New to Linux last year, I tried Zorin 9, Ubuntu 14.10 and 16.04, and Mint 17. A week ago I went with 18. Mint 18 Cinnamon is stable, reliable, and has everything I need "out of the box." In a perfect world Mint 18 (or at least a Linux distro) would wipe out the worthless Windows 10. Oh, I went to Linux after becoming infuriated with Windows 10 and it security and privacy invasions. That and their Edge browser was a complete POS.

It's a sad fallacy that Linux is "hard to use" or is for hobbyists and geeks. Maybe that was true 10 years ago, but now most distros-- and especially 18-- are truly "plug and play" easy.
You can fix almost anything, but you can fix "stupid." Stupid is forever.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:06 pm

I have a new W10 PC and a couple Mint 18 PC's. Little easier to use than W10 PC but I need the W10 for iTunes, iPhone, iPad and wireless printer/scanner. Mint does not do the printer/scanner very well. Mint has it's issues just like Windows. I see many issues with Linux here and the Ubuntu forums. Failure is bundled with just about any OS. Yes, fixable with a lot of questions and try this or try that.
I have to disagree, Mint is much more difficult to dual boot with another Linux OS or W10.
I started here with Mint 6 and somewhere about Mint 12 the techies made it much more difficult. Use to be, a pointer to move to select how much space for each. Now you have to mess with partitions.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”