Poll: What's Mint KDE 18 like? Please click!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

How is Mint 18 KDE (Plasma 5)?

Wonderful! Better than Plasma 4!
28%
Good. No problems.
28%
Inferior to Plasma 4 but usable.
24%
Poor - buggy, slow, major missing functionality.
21%

Total votes: 29

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Poll: What's Mint KDE 18 like? Please click!

Post by Jedinovice »

Pepi wrote:All I can say is I dread when 2019 gets here :mrgreen:
Bear in mind, of course, that there will be an 18.1, .2, .3,...

The rate I am going, by the time I get to look at Mint 18 KDE it will be on 18.1!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I just love it.
The first time, some years ago, when I saw KDE 5 I hated it. It looked so different than 4, was minimalistic, was flat.
But it grew on me and now I love it. I still use KDE 4 as main system but I have Mint 18 KDE, next to others, as VM's. Everything works, I had no crashes so far, it looks amazing: I am happy with it.
Maybe you do need a modern computer for it, I don't know if that makes any difference. My computer is pretty new and it can do the job very well. I guess soon I will make the jump and install KDE 18 as my main system.
I do have an Nvidia card so I'm kinda waiting till the drivers problem is solved.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

DeMus wrote:I just love it.
The first time, some years ago, when I saw KDE 5 I hated it. It looked so different than 4, was minimalistic, was flat.
But it grew on me and now I love it. I still use KDE 4 as main system but I have Mint 18 KDE, next to others, as VM's. Everything works, I had no crashes so far, it looks amazing: I am happy with it.
Maybe you do need a modern computer for it, I don't know if that makes any difference. My computer is pretty new and it can do the job very well. I guess soon I will make the jump and install KDE 18 as my main system.
I do have an Nvidia card so I'm kinda waiting till the drivers problem is solved.
Thanks for the info. Still waiting on the restoration of my old atom machine to run this and we have hit technical problems so it will be a while so I am very interested in people's experiences.

Far too busy to try something unknown on my main use machine right now!
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Jedinovice wrote:Still waiting on the restoration of my old atom machine to run this and we have hit technical problems so it will be a while so I am very interested in people's experiences.

You're still waiting for the restoration of your computer? Takes a mighty long time, doesn't it? Plus technical problems. May I aks what problems they are or is this private?
I know living in Indonesia can be challenging, not everything is as normal there as it is in other countries.
Good luck and success with what you're doing.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

DeMus wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:Still waiting on the restoration of my old atom machine to run this and we have hit technical problems so it will be a while so I am very interested in people's experiences.

You're still waiting for the restoration of your computer? Takes a mighty long time, doesn't it? Plus technical problems. May I aks what problems they are or is this private?
I know living in Indonesia can be challenging, not everything is as normal there as it is in other countries.
Good luck and success with what you're doing.
Yes, it is taking a long time but that is being used as the basis of a computer. It will be a prototype of something not really done before.

As it is, we have found a mass of design problems and are having to hack things around. Plus, my hours are insane so I am lucky if I get an hour in the week where I can work on this.
virusdunil

Post by virusdunil »

Tried kde 18 on 1 pc and 1 laptop... :roll:

on both,problems with Kwin,
wifi always disconnected (laptop)
freezes...

had to revert to 17.3 on both machines :(
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

After an install over Mint 17.3 KDE and numerous problems I decided to wipe the HDD and do a "fresh and clean" install with full updates and driver installs at first boot. Since doing that I have had none of the problems I experienced previously. Mint 18 KDE has been very stable and so far not a single "bug report" has been generated. All features work fast and the only minor complaint that I can think of is the Wallpaper Manager fails (possibly a KDE problem and not Mint) and gives error "Failed to load all catergories". I am willing to wait for KDE update in Mint 18.1 because I know Clem and the development team release the best and most "bug free" distros.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Jedinovice", and Everyone else that is interested in this,

I have always been a huge fan of Linux Mint and KDE. I am using both Linux Mint 17.3 KDE, and testing Linux Mint 18 KDE. I am using very old (ancient) computer hardware with lousy video, single core 32-bit P4 CPU, and only 2gb of system memory (ram), and I have not had any crashes with Linux Mint 18 KDE.

I think it is very stable, and I am very impressed. It seems to be faster and uses less memory. There are some newer applications as well, like Spectacle (screen capture), SDDM login manager, improved firewall, etc... One great advantage is that all applications that have been upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18) now work, when they would not even install in Linux Mint 17.x or earlier, like the newer versions of the excellent "Kdenlive" video editor, etc... Also, I have by no means tried all aspects of this new version.

I personally do not like the flat dark themes, although they are very nice; that is of course user changeable. There are many changes and most are great, but not all are welcome changes for me. My main complaint is with Virtual Desktops (workspaces), which have been stripped of the great features it had before, like custom widgets and icons and custom wallpaper for each workspace (virtual desktop), etc... We are being forced to use KDE Activities (very similar to virtual desktops and workspaces) which are not as simple to use, nor do they have all the cool features the virtual desktops had before, like the many ways to easily switch between the desktops is not available for "Activities", yet "Activities" have their own advantages as well and can be assigned to a virtual desktop workspace. I have read that there is a KDE developer that is going to bring back, or give us the option to have back, virtual desktops the way they were before where you can have custom icons (widgets) and wallpaper per virtual desktop workspace; I do not know if that has been done yet, if anyone else knows, please let me and the rest of us know how to get and install it.

For the most part, I have been able to install almost everything I had in Linux Mint 17.3 KDE in Linux Mint 18 KDE. There are however a fair amount of missing applications (mostly minor "non-critical" ones like "Knemo", "Audio-recorder", "Format Junkie", Fortunes (quotes), etc...) that I really loved that are not available in this version, or have not yet been ported (upgraded) to this version. You can manually compile and install some of these missing applications, but that is a pain to do. I have noticed some quirky behavior with some stuff which might be attributed to my ancient computer hardware: the Mint Update icon has to be right clicked to open whereas before I could just click it, the system clock does not have the user changeable options it had before for color & date formatting, etc..., "Converseen" did not integrate into Dolphin file manager like it did before, Dolphin's root menu and root access options were much better before (for me), & when connected to a VPN, I do not have the Network Manager Lock although the color changes, etc...

For those who want the newer Plasma (at your own risk - backup first), you can install the Kubuntu Backports PPA to get that, which also upgrades a lot of other KDE applications for the better. I did it and it worked for me.

Install KDE Plasma 5.6 in Ubuntu 16.04/Linux Mint 18, Fedora 23/24 and OpenSUSE 13.2
http://www.tecmint.com/install-kde-plasma-5-in-linux/
VIP Note Tip: Using the instructions from the link above, after installing each step, my Linux Mint KDE 18 desktop did not like the "lightDM" login manager and would not come up to the graphical desktop, so I recommend keeping the SDDM login manager for that instruction. If you have trouble bringing up your desktop after installing this, then run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm", select "sddm", and reboot. You can also install the MDM display manager in Linux Mint 18 from the synaptic package manager which is what Linux Mint KDE 17.x used, just choose MDM when asked during install, reboot afterwards, and it shows up as "Login Window" under the Settings Menu instead of the System Settings Menu like before.
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

To user "Jazz.h", you can install "Telegram" in Linux Mint 18 (or earlier versions) in various ways, including their desktop software, or the Telegram-purple plugin add-on for Pidgin messaging client, worked for KDE telepathy too, but not for "Kopete" as it did in Linux Mint 17.x, etc...

Install Telegram-Purple PPA (Pidgin Plugin) On Ubuntu Linux, August 11, 2016
http://sourcedigit.com/20374-install-te ... ntu-linux/

Installing Telegram Purple
Ubuntu 16.04, 15.10, and 14.04 / Linux Mint 18 and 17.x users can install it by using the main WebUpd8 PPA. Add the PPA and install Telegram Purple using the following console terrminal commands, one at a time:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install telegram-purple

Overall, as I already stated, I am very impressed with Linux Mint KDE 18, and it will just get better as time goes on.

Hope this helps ...
Pidgin_Telegram2.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Hi PHD21 and thanks for the data.. Good to have for reference.

And thanks to all for taking the time to give feedback.

Alas, I am having to get to know Mint 18 KDE by feedback because I simply cannot get my old atom to work again. It's because I am taking the core of the old atom and using it in a new ... device and, this being a prototype, we are encountering problems and having to adapt and hoping we are not wrecking the motherboard in the process.

We were originally gunning for this...
iron3.jpg
But we ended up with this...
iron1.jpg
And, after trying to fix it all we have ended up with this...
iron0.jpg
Work continues... slowly as my workload in my day job is nuts!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”