Can you tell me what and why on Linux Mint 18?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
taehyung

Can you tell me what and why on Linux Mint 18?

Post by taehyung »

What can do with Linux Mint 18 and why linux mint 18 is famous more than other Linux mint versions? Your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Can you tell me what and why on Linux Mint 18?

Post by Moem »

Linux Mint is a desktop and laptop OS and it can be used for pretty much anything that people use a desktop or laptop computer for. And it's the newest version of Linux Mint, so that's why it is currently the one you hear most about.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
taehyung

Post by taehyung »

Moem wrote:Linux Mint is a desktop and laptop OS and it can be used for pretty much anything that people use a desktop or laptop computer for. And it's the newest version of Linux Mint, so that's why it is currently the one you hear most about.
Oh yes, but what are these pretty much anything? Can you elaborate it? And aside from its the newest one(which is I already know ) what are the advantages of Linux 18 from others which makes it different from other versions? :)
bingo19

Post by bingo19 »

I would like to add that Linux Mint 18 is, for me, the Linux distro that made all the stuff I needed work "out of the box", reason why I kept it after having tried many others.

In my opinion, Linux Mint is perfect for someone wanting to switch without having to learn technical stuff at first. Even my parents (70) and my daughter use it now.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Mint is renowned for stability, reliability and intuitive ease of use.

If you don't know what an operating system can do (although you posted an email, so you must know at least the basics), go out and use an operating system. Any one will do. They all perform the same kind of tasks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

taehyung wrote:Oh yes, but what are these pretty much anything? Can you elaborate it?
Let me reply in the form of a question...
What do you use your computer for?
taehyung wrote:And aside from its the newest one(which is I already know ) what are the advantages of Linux 18 from others which makes it different from other versions? :)
Here you go.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

taehyung wrote:What can do with Linux Mint 18 and why linux mint 18 is famous more than other Linux mint versions?
Mint releases a new version of it's distro when Ubuntu releases a new version of it's Long Term Support ( LTS ) version since Mint is derived from it. As Ubuntu LTS went from 14.04 to 16.04 so Mint went from Mint17 to Mint18.

Is Mint18 more "famous" than Mint17? I have no idea.

Is Mint18 "better" than Mint17? In the universe of Linux desktop distros where everyone is obsessed with the idea that a new version of something is inherently superior to the older version the answer is Yes.

You will have to make up your own mind if that holds true for you.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The only reason it's more 'famous' is that it's newer.

Whether it's better for you than 17.3 depends. Are there new features you can't live without? I use Xfce and the version used in 18 is the same Xfce version as 17.3. I'm not planning to upgrade until 17.3 goes EOL.

Mint 18 may work better for your hardware and it may not. For example, AMD is rewriting their Linux graphics stack and they aren't done yet. So there is no AMD proprietary video driver yet. If I was running AMD video I'd avoid 18 (or its ubuntu 16.04 base) like the plague. There are many more examples of this sort of thing and there's no simple clear cut rules for determining if it matters to you.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
hangry

Post by hangry »

Hey taehyung - Here is how I ended up going back to Linux Mint. I've been a long time Centos user because I have been actively pursuing my Red Hat certs. I've been also using centos as my main os at work, however two weeks ago I ran into an issue with Centos. Centos is based off of Red Hat and because it is an enterprise OS, this OS is rock solid stable but sometimes it comes at a price. The Kernel used in Centos 7 is 3.4. The latest Kernel I believe it at 4.4 now. The older kernel will not detect some of your newer hardware and in my case it would not work properly with the skylake processor. This would also not detect my nic either. As a fall back, I installed Linux Mint 18. Newer kernel fewer headaches. My set up took me roughly under 30 mins. In that time I installed the following:

1. VPN - I use cisco's anyconnect at work so it's required.
2. Virtualbox - As much as I would like to go full on linux, I work for a corporation and its a windows shop.
3. Pithos - This is a graphical front end for the music streaming service Pandora.

The packages for cisco's anyconnect is now pretty standard stuff, it was hit or miss when trying to install this client 6 years ago with ubuntu. I installed this on centos 3 years ago without issue as well.

Virtualbox is the big one because the packages are already in the repos and I did not have to add anything. I just installed virtualbox and the qt interface and it was off to the races. In fact it took me almost two hours just to setup my windows vm because I also had to install the admin pack and the drags along the 4.0 .net framework. Again, nothing unusual in setting up virtualbox or any additional vms.

Pithos is a nice to have, it wasn't available in centos because centos doesn't carry some of the required libraries. I was excited when centos 7 became available because it has the newer version of python which pithos is built on.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Centos a lot but in the end, I had forgotten how good the user experience is with Linux Mint. I did not have to work very hard to get this up and running at work and use all the apps I needed in a short amount of time.

I have since converted my home machine back to LM as well. Some nice to haves which I have installed are:

Filezilla - ftp client
Audacity - for podcasting
Leafpad - my favorite text editor
gpodder - my podcatcher
LibreOffice is installed by default and there is no need to use MS Office. This works just fine.

Oh and one last thing, if you have proprietary drivers, Mint will detect them and install them if you want.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Linux Mint! It's what's for dinner!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I like the green/gray design of the Mate desktop. Also the Mint menu. Works out-of-the-box. Very nice user forum :lol:
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I think the reason Mint has so much fame is because the "Mint way" is steady and reliable. The last 5 years have seen radical changes in the UI of Ubuntu and Gnome but Mint chose to keep it traditional and focused on iterating known good desktop principles.
No controversy here, just a steady record of nice incremental changes year after year, nothing jarring, nothing experimental, just a damn good desktop that keeps getting a bit more refined with each version.
People who just want something good, without any non-sense, like Mint and that seems to be a lot of people.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

As a point an click operator, I used 18 for about a week and have now gone back to my 17.3 drive on boot. For me 2 needed things did not work as expected. The flashy in the pants features to me are useless, compared to stability. I will wait until 18.3 then try it again.

The 2 things in case you were wondering is VLC and video would not read a commercial dvd and amd drivers killed 18 for me. 17.3 is perfectly acceptable so no worries here.
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

Linux Mint 18, along with the Ubuntu 16.04 it is derived from, can be faster in running certain applications than Linux Mint 17. For example, the fps of minecraft is about two times higher for me with LM18 and Ubuntu 16.04, probably because of the ability to run the CPU microcode among other improvements.

However, there are some drawbacks with LM18 as mentioned. As mentioned, AMD graphics support is not very good yet for gaming (but the NVIDIA proprietary driver is great). Also, I've noticed that boot time is slower with LM 18 than it was with LM17.

So, as mentioned, whichever you choose should depend on the age, specs, and use of your pc. An older pc that has less RAM and is used for browsing the internet and checking email would probably be better with LM17. A pc that has adequate RAM and is used for playing games or other more intensive applications may be better off with LM 18. Also relevant is the desktop environment (DE). Cinnamon uses more memory but some things like dropbox if you use it integrate very nicely in my experience and I just like it better. MATE and XFCE use less memory.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”