Finally jumped completely off the Windows ship

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Hank New Bee
Level 2
Level 2

Finally jumped completely off the Windows ship

Post by Hank New Bee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:20 pm

After months of learning and experimenting with Mint 17.3 and 18, I finally completely converted the 2nd of my 2 notebooks to Linux Mint 18.1. I did a completely new install, using whole disk encryption, and then reloaded my favored programs and all my backed up data, pics, videos, etc. I had already convinced myself of the superiority of Linux over Windows, and that there were no Windows tasks that I could not do as well or better on Linux. Both of my notebooks are humming along just great. One is an older Toshiba Pentium, with 2Gs memory and 150Gs HD. With Vista, it was a real slug; now it's like a new computer. My main notebook is a Dell Inspiron 5720, with an Intel Core I7 quad processor, 8Gs memory and 1TB HD. The graphics card is the Intel version, not the optional Nvidea. Anyway, it is working flawlessly. When I had been booting it to Mint 17.3 from a USB, the wireless Logitech keyboard wouldn't work until after full booting, but now it works from the initial powerup to shutdown. The HP 3210 printer/scanner works just fine. The only thing not working is a Hauppauge WinTV tuner that was working with Win7, but I'm not done troubleshooting that issue yet.

I had originally vowed to stay with Win7, and ignore Win8. Then along came Win10, with Microsof's hard sell trickery to try and force an upgrade. Learning of it's built in "telemetry", and having to install software to guard against an unwanted Win10 "upgrade", I decided it was time to make the switch. I was particularly angered at the fact that some elderly friends and neighbors had been upgraded to 10 simply because they weren't savvy enough to avoid it, and suddenly found themselves "upgraded" without informed consent, and now having issues with the new setup. Last straw for me! So now I'm a happy Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 semi-newbee.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Finally jumped completely off the Windows ship

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:44 am

Welcome to the family, and Happy Minting!

I had to help several people avoid Windows 10... it's a chore just to keep the thing from installing! :x So glad I don't have to deal with that on my computers.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:40 am

Hank New Bee, you (and your friends) might want to sign this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/board-of-direc ... re_receipt

Or maybe having switched completely over to Linux, you just don't care anymore. (I doubt the petition will do any good, and I don't use Windows anyway, but I signed it for the benefit of my friends who, for reasons unknown, are sticking with Windows.)

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

sudo apt-get Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sudo apt-get Linux » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:16 am

Just trying to do the same as you and definitely get rid off M$ (aka Monitoring $ystem), not easy to adapt to something new, and Linux and its countless distros still scare people because of its geeks orientated reputation and being forced to use a command line is a big no for many people who just need a working OS, where the OS is just a tool, not a purpose in itself. Linux and its distros could become more popular the day they will propose a "plug & play OS", so to speak, because when you come from M$, people are used to that easy system. Most people don't have (or don't want) to spent (or to sacrifice) months just to learn a new system, so the easier the better. The popularity of Linux Mint indicates it is going in the good direction.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon 4.0.10
Kernel: 4.15.0-47-generic
Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50 GHz x 2
Ram: 8 Go

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:22 am

sudo apt-get Linux wrote:Linux and its distros could become more popular the day they will propose a "plug & play OS", so to speak, because when you come from M$, people are used to that easy system.
This is exactly why I no longer suggest Linux to Whining Complaining Windows users as they all seem to Whine about the fact that moving to another OS would force them to exercise the grey cells of the brain.
I just laugh :lol: and let them complain and when they ask what I do when I have these problems I tell them that I use Linux and I don't have any problems.

Hank New Bee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hank New Bee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:10 pm

I have a little advantage over some Windows users, because my computer life goes back to the days of DOS and even Windows1 (actually, back to Fortran!). Back then Windows was more of a toy than a real OS. Anyway, DOS wasn't too scary, so learning some command line stuff in Linux isn't too scary either. But I wouldn't have made the switch without access to a GUI like Mint Cinnamon. Just makes life so much easier. But I have friends who got fed up with Windows and automatically went straight to Apple. I would be wasting my time to even suggest they try Linux. But as for me, now a happy Linux user. By the way, my wife was scared of the switch. Having now spent a couple hours showing her how easy things really are, she's now a convert too.

Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm

Hank New Bee wrote:Back then Windows was more of a toy than a real OS.
The more things change...

Actually, I believe that is the real secret to Window's success. Keep the customers playing and they won't notice the reboots, viruses, malware, reinstallations, spying, etc., etc. :roll:

earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:21 pm

A few tips.

You can use your old Windows license in Virtualbox. If you don't have Windows key but still can boot to drive, you can get the key with one of these tools.
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-reco ... roduct-key

Then install a fresh Windows copy in Virtualbox on same hardware licensed to and use the Windows key. It will likely complain about hardware changes and fail to activate. You can force a reactivation with the phone-in method by running command "slui.exe 4" within Virtualbox Windows. You need to keep that VM on the PC it was licensed to or activation will become lost.

And if you want to convert original Windows disk into VM as is...
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=234332
Last edited by earthlingkc on Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingeggs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flyingeggs » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:25 pm

jimallyn wrote:Hank New Bee, you (and your friends) might want to sign this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/board-of-direc ... re_receipt

Or maybe having switched completely over to Linux, you just don't care anymore. (I doubt the petition will do any good, and I don't use Windows anyway, but I signed it for the benefit of my friends who, for reasons unknown, are sticking with Windows.)
I signed it. I probably do about 95% of my computing on Linux Mint but unfortunately I still need Windows for one thing. :( If it wasn't for this one thing (not games) I would get rid of it completely.

Microsoft's hubris just gets worse with every new version.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:11 pm

sudo apt-get Linux wrote:Just trying to do the same as you and definitely get rid off M$ (aka Monitoring $ystem), not easy to adapt to something new, and Linux and its countless distros still scare people because of its geeks orientated reputation and being forced to use a command line is a big no for many people who just need a working OS, where the OS is just a tool, not a purpose in itself. Linux and its distros could become more popular the day they will propose a "plug & play OS", so to speak, because when you come from M$, people are used to that easy system. Most people don't have (or don't want) to spent (or to sacrifice) months just to learn a new system, so the easier the better. The popularity of Linux Mint indicates it is going in the good direction.
There's always an assumption that Linux wants or needs these converts, but let me turn this around. What will this type of user contribute back to Linux? In my opinion, not a lot. They're certainly not the type to spend their time on the forums helping others. They'll flood the forums with questions that have been answered many times whilst not bothering to give enough information to help others solve the problem without a bunch of questions, because they consider their time extremely precious (but not the time of others). Raising official bug reports or adding ideas in the ideas section? Too much effort.

What will these types bring other than headaches? Linux needs more enthusiasts.

Hank New Bee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hank New Bee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Perhaps I'm paranoid, but when I saw that the petition wanted name, address, and email, I decided to skip it. I'm already fighting ID theft, and being inundated with email spam. Don't need any more. Sorry guys & gals. Also, I'm trying not to be a troll on this forum, but until I have enough knowledge to safely contribute I'm reluctant to come off like an expert with useful advice. A few times I have reported on actual things I've accomplished. These are things I've validated and hope they help someone. I very much appreciate the vast trove of knowledge contained on this forum and the time & effort of the Mint community members.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:38 pm

BTW Hank, I'm not trying to imply you are one of the lazy ones who will give nothing back and at the end of the day, we mostly all came from Windows. I'm just saying that demographic exists. In terms of getting things done without technical hitches, Mint is about the best there is in terms of Linux from my experience.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Hank New Bee wrote:when I saw that the petition wanted name, address, and email, I decided to skip it.
change.org is one of the good ones. I have signed many petitions on change.org and don't worry about it anymore. But I have come across online petitions that set my spidey-sense tingling, and I won't sign those. This particular petition came to my attention via a VHF/UHF ham radio email list I'm on, and the message on the email list was sent by the guy that started the petition. So, I know his name, his callsign, and his email address. I actually sent him an email suggesting that if he's tired of Microsoft's bs, he should try Linux. But I haven't heard back from him.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

finfly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by finfly » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:17 am

I am also a recent converter. At home I tried Windows 10 as I am always up for new things and it was free. After about year of it I found it to be on the way more than helping with work flow, and at a new workplace I started to use Libreoffice after many years on MS Office, that made me realize how much better traditional menus are over ribbons, I actually first installed Libreoffice because MS Office was not doing things in a way I liked. Add lack of privacy in MS world, forced updates that could reboot the damed 10 thing in middle of work and lack of time to my favorite computer games due a wild toddler.
To find better life I ended up installing Linux Mint ( I have tried it once previously, but MS Office and games kept me away from it) on old laptop to see if I would like that more than Windows on desktop PC and fell so in love it that I ended up buying better laptop for home use, running Mint, and storing the old faithful monster in a closet. I also installed it to my work laptop to replace Windows 7 that was getting slow. My wife is also considering changing Windows 10 to Mint, it is so good.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:01 pm

I didn't have to jump completely. All I did was to add Linux to make it a dual-boot system. More precisely, it's a multi-boot system with 3 mint flavors, Xfce, KDE and Cinnamon, booting alongside Windows 10. I use Grub Customizer to clean up the boot mess whenever I install a distro. You can grab the latest deb file and store it somewhere.

Main reason why I'm still leaving Windows intact is the possibility of selling it and buying a new one. Not easy to sell a PC for a reasonable price without a legit Windows in it. That's just the way it is.

earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:25 pm

thom_A wrote:Main reason why I'm still leaving Windows intact is the possibility of selling it and buying a new one. Not easy to sell a PC for a reasonable price without a legit Windows in it. That's just the way it is.
I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop where it is difficult to replace internal drive, so imaged the entire drive as a .img file to other large drive using the Disk app in Mint USB Install stick, then compressed it - came to only about 27GB. Can then restore the image at later time if selling or needing to return with original image. I've tested the restore after wiping internal drive and it worked fine. Then installed Mint to original SSD and installed a fresh Win10 VM to Virtualbox using the same Windows key. Had to use this command within Windows VM to reactive via phone: slui.exe 4

Rebel Dog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rebel Dog » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:46 pm

I love Linux, I do keep a Windows 7 in a VM Box, I have a GPS and a quad copter, soon as I cam make them work in Linux, it's bye bye windows

Also completely jumped the Apple Ship, put Ubuntu on the Mac Mini, The Mac OS just to slow.
Exiled, I have no country

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:12 pm

Hank New Bee wrote:But I have friends who got fed up with Windows and automatically went straight to Apple. I would be wasting my time to even suggest they try Linux.
As a former Apple user, I understand your frustration here completely. However, variety is the spice of life, right?
sudo apt-get Linux wrote:Linux and its distros could become more popular the day they will propose a "plug & play OS", so to speak, because when you come from M$, people are used to that easy system. Most people don't have (or don't want) to spent (or to sacrifice) months just to learn a new system, so the easier the better. The popularity of Linux Mint indicates it is going in the good direction.
I'm not claiming you are doing this, but this mindset is pure propaganda. GNU+Linux, Mac OS, and Mac OS X are (in the sense of OS platforms) the most plug-and-play OSs, period. Windows is not and has never been even remotely close in that regard.

The whole thing about how it's a struggle or an effort to "learn" another graphical OS (in the sense of "as an alternative to Windows") makes me laugh every time I hear it. Windows is and has always been a duplication of PARC, and a fundamental rip-off of Mac OS (and, to a slightly lesser degree, Mac OS X). Generally, most of the major GNU+Linux desktop environments are more similar to Mac OS and Mac OS X than Windows, so how can it be complicated if you're going back to the source?
Rebel Dog wrote:Also completely jumped the Apple Ship, put Ubuntu on the Mac Mini, The Mac OS just to slow.
Same here, sort of. I left Apple and my two existing Macs, a G4-based Mac mini and my 2012 13" MacBook Pro, both run GNU+Linux distros. The Mac mini runs Debian and is a headless personal file server (which it rocks that job totally) and I run LinuxMint Mate 18.1 on my MBP.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Welcome aboard the best platform there is (IMHO)! I have a few other distros (DSL, Puppy etc.) on old machines but Mint, especially KDE, is by far the best OS I've ever had the pleasure of using. I started testing LM18 KDE on real hardware last night and this too looks like a keeper. Still running Cinnamon (17.3 64-bit) on my old Dell laptop and this runs a treat as well, even after numerous experiments. Try that with MS Windows!

ETA: Jimallyn, that petition appears to have been removed now.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Grundkurs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Grundkurs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:34 pm

i switched to linux mint this summer. Its running on my 5 year old thinkpad T420s like a charm. However, i tried switching to linux before, but i never could get past 2 weeks of having it as my main OS, because there always was something that refused to work that i really did not want to miss. Maybe its just me getting stuff better to work or its really the OS. Since version 18 linux mint and i are getting along quite well, i don't see me going back to windows ever again on my private computer. Btw: Happy new year to everyone :D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”