significant difference with mint and ubuntu?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
elvis8900
Level 1
Level 1

significant difference with mint and ubuntu?

Post by elvis8900 »

If linux-mint is based from ubuntu. Then what are the differences? Why not just use ubuntu? What is in mint that would be perferred?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: significant difference with mint and ubuntu?

Post by Moem »

There are many answers available, and they are easy to find. I found an overwhelming number of good articles that explain this, on the very first page of search results after typing 'ubuntu mint difference' in my search engine of choice.

My personal reason is simple: interface. Unity looked confusing; Cinnamon looked much more understandable to me.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

The 2 most significant differences:
Usability because of the (default) desktop environment - might be a matter of personal preferences
Stability because of the Mint-exclusive update manager

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I responded earlier today to a post somebody made about how Mint sucks, and how Ubuntu is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So, I decided I should try Ubuntu, and I installed it in VirtualBox on my computer. Ubuntu is ugly, for starters. And I couldn't find some things that I have had no trouble finding in any other distro I've used. Wasn't terribly impressed. Try Ubuntu in VirtualBox, or install it on a separate partition on your hard drive if you've got the space. I think you'll find that you like Mint better. But different strokes for different folks, as they say. I will probably play with my Ubuntu install some more, but it seems extremely unlikely that I'm ever going to prefer it over Mint. Ubuntu does have the resources to build a nice base for others to build on, though.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

elvis8900 wrote:If linux-mint is based from ubuntu. Then what are the differences? Why not just use ubuntu? What is in mint that would be perferred?
If Ubuntu is based from debian. Then what are the differences? Why not just use debian? What is in ubuntu that would be perferred?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

Ubuntu or Linux Mint or Debian which one :?:
:idea:
Try all three of them and make a decision based from your own experience and then install which will work best for what you are going to use your computer for.

I use all three of them and like all of them no complaints.
Whichever works best for the end-user. :wink:

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

Yep, there's really no excuse not to try it out in VirtualBox.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pros of Mint compared to Ubuntu for me:

As cosmo mentioned, the update manager policy is better. Ubuntu 14.04, which my 17.3 is based on, may be Long Term Support but it doesn't use an LTS kernel (16.04/Mint 18 doesn't either AFAIK). This means the Ubuntu devs will have to do a shed load of backporting themselves.

I like the Xfce DE and Mint's is supported for 5 years. Ubuntu's Xfce version only has 3 years support.

I just like the way Mint packages their versions.

Cons:

Tech support of Ubuntu is just miles better ... of almost everyone's really. I'm going to get flamed for this, but I actually recommend Ubuntu to Linux novices because of the tech support. You'll probably need it. I switched from Mint 13 back to Ubuntu because there is quite simply no one on this board who could understand my Broadcom wireless issue I had at the time.

I wouldn't recommend LMDE for Linux novices. Debian is actually aimed at advanced users and the LMDE support forum isn't very useful for novices. In fact IMO it'd be useless. Flame away but I'm not wrong.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

elvis8900 wrote:If linux-mint is based from ubuntu. Then what are the differences? Why not just use ubuntu? What is in mint that would be perferred?
I think the differences are pretty minor, mostly that Mint has some extras packages/drivers automagically available that, IIRC, you have to fiddle with in ubuntu. I have dual-boot Mint 18 and Ubuntu 16.10, both Xfce, and after I install fluxbox they're pretty much the same, though I rarely use ubuntu. Mint is more "protective", I guess - so I use the Ubuntu version of synaptic because Mint's version is "crippled". And the Mint forum is better - I haven't gotten kicked-off yet!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Flemur wrote: the Mint forum is better - I haven't gotten kicked-off yet!
No worries, that can be arranged. :wink:

I notice that the original poster has not weighed in... is it possible that...
8)
... Elvis has left the building?
*badumm-tishhhh*

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

Hoser Rob wrote:Tech support of Ubuntu is just miles better ... of almost everyone's really. I'm going to get flamed for this, but I actually recommend Ubuntu to Linux novices because of the tech support. You'll probably need it.
I have to say that I get excellent support from both Ubuntu Forum and Linux Mint Forum. :)

Linux Mint Forum Moderators and Forum members are more people friendly. :)
Ubuntu Forum has some Moderators and some Forum members who way lack people skills. :(
Hoser Rob wrote:I wouldn't recommend LMDE for Linux novices. Debian is actually aimed at advanced users and the LMDE support forum isn't very useful for novices.
Not very helpful towards novice users based on my experience with them.

I have found that most Debian Forums expect Debian users to be above a novice level.
I believe Debian is more directed towards a server base user than a regular normal Ubuntu or Linux Mint user.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Flemur wrote: the Mint forum is better - I haven't gotten kicked-off yet!
No worries, that can be arranged. :wink:

I notice that the original poster has not weighed in... is it possible that...
8)
... Elvis has left the building?
*badumm-tishhhh*
It's not hijacking if the ship has been abandoned, y'know... ;-)
Hoser Rob wrote:Tech support of Ubuntu is just miles better ... of almost everyone's really. I'm going to get flamed for this, but I actually recommend Ubuntu to Linux novices because of the tech support. You'll probably need it.
Flamed? Nah. But Force Lightning'd? Maaaaaybe...
The Old Timer wrote:I have found that most Debian Forums expect Debian users to be above a novice level.
I believe Debian is more directed towards a server base user than a regular normal Ubuntu or Linux Mint user.
I can see that. It doesn't necessarily justify or excuse bad behavior on the part of members of the community, but I can understand when you're dealing with a distro (or some specific software) that really isn't directed at n00bs, there is going to be a certain... ambiance? ;-)
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Ubuntu pushes forward with development releases every 6 months. Those are usable for just 9 months. If you stay on the long-term support (LTS) release that is released once every 2 years and is supported up to 5 years, Ubuntu 16.04 being the most recent, you basically get security and new hardware enablement updates during the support period — in general no new feature release of any programs (with exception of Firefox). This may change as Ubuntu pushes forward on snap packages but that isn't current.

Linux Mint also does a release every 6 months but only uses Ubuntu LTS releases as a package base; foregoing use of the Ubuntu development releases. Hence the Linux Mint 18.1 release is still based on Ubuntu LTS 16.04 just like Linux Mint 18. But, it comes with new feature releases of Linux Mint programs (Software Manager, Update Manager, X-Apps, and so on) and with new feature releases of the desktop environments. So you stay on a long-term support and stable package base for the operating system while getting new feature releases of the most visible components. Whether you use Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce or KDE, it works the same. Currently Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and MATE are released with Xfce and KDE expected to follow within weeks. You can read what is new for Cinnamon and MATE here: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_serena_ci ... atsnew.php https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_serena_mate_whatsnew.php

Aside from that Linux Mint comes with its own tools for software management (Software Manager, Update Manager and Software Sources), it's own programs for common tasks like document editing and image viewing (collectively called X-Apps; an alternative for GNOME programs used on Ubuntu, which are more and more looking out of place on any desktop environment that isn't GNOME 3), themes and other tweaks for your desktop environment, various useful command line programs (like the all-in-one apt command that combines the various software management command-line tools into one tool, the pastebin command to easily share output of a command on https://gist.github.com/, and inxi to easily gather system information).

Update Manager stands out for grouping updates that should always be installed together into one line (making the list of updates more manageable and avoiding mistakes), clearly distinguishing urgent security updates, with its default and recommended policy always showing all security updates but letting the user pick a moment when to install the updates that could potentially affect their system negatively (i.e., let's not install such updates just before a deadline when you can't do without the computer), and providing easy access to the changelogs of updates to review those before installing something if so desired.

There also is a Linux Mint edition using Debian as a package base (Linux Mint Debian Edition, or LMDE for short).

There are various other odds and ends that are different between Ubuntu and Linux Mint but those are the most visible ones I think. One of the things that makes Linux Mint great is that one of its main components, Ubuntu, is also great. With either one you have a great option.

deleted

Post by deleted »

BigEasy wrote:
If Ubuntu is based from debian. Then what are the differences? Why not just use debian? What is in ubuntu that would be perferred?
Too many to enumerate here but....
Debian has experimental, unstable, testing, stable repositories. Ubuntu takes a 6 month snapshot of unstable and massages it.
That's really one one the biggest since it makes ubuntu ppas incompatible with Debian.
-H

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”