Mint 18.2: Removing Synaptic???!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 18.2: Removing Synaptic???!

Post by xenopeek »

A fresh install of Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce will have Rhythmbox instead of Banshee.
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Sorry folks I just don't see the big deal about this, I always trusted the team to make good stuff with one time exception when they were playing with the graphic tablet and had to leave until they got that fixed.

No matter what distro I used I always have a list of what I get rid of and what I add, it's always the same unless some new toy gets added then I just add that to my list.

I might do what DeMus suggested to make it easier and keep the script on an external so it's ready when needed.
An alternatif would be to write a script in which you write:

sudo apt install package1 package2 ....
Type your password and go to sleep.

The next morning the sun is shining and all your packages are installed, except in the rain season when there is no sun. :lol:
Problem solved

I rarely find the need for Synaptic myself anymore although I lived in it when I used lmde but I still keep it installed in case, if they get rid of it because most don't know how to use it or just plain don't, no biggy I'll add it to my list 8)
after adding an equalizer to rhythmbox I'm also happy with it also, although I use vlc for 90% of my stuff.
Not a big deal
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

groze wrote:
killer de bug wrote: They have removed Banshee and put Rhythmbox..
I notice Banshee is there in 18.0 Linux Mint Xfce & Rhythmbox was not.
The change given by KDB is for Mint 18.1, not for Mint 18. Also in case of an upgrade from 18 to 18.1 this change does not apply, only in a fresh install of 18.1.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Sidenote: while I applaud the removal of Mono based applications in general, it's rather weird (and a bit disappointing) that there's still one Mono based app left in the default installation: Tomboy. And so the Mono infrastructure is still there, by default.... :(
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

The discussion about Mono is old. But surely there is a inconsistency, as in the reasoning (near the bottom of the page) for replacing Banshee Mono is mentioned, but not a single word, why with the Mono-argument Tomboy is not mentioned at all. This is even more not understandable, as there exists with Gnote a port to C++ of this program with - to my knowledge - a compatible file format (an important aspect for Tomboy-users). Sometimes there is a reasoning, which gives more questions than answers. This case belongs to those mysteries.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

And with that I think we've gone far enough off topic. Locking this topic as per OP's comment.
Jedinovice wrote:Xenopeek, if you see fit to close th thread you may do so. I agree that points of view are not going to be changed and so it now runs to the choice of Clem. I just hope he takes a look here and understands the concerns.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”