Do you use LibreOffice?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Do you use LibreOffice?

Yes
82%
No
8%
Rarely
10%
Don't care
1%

Total votes: 133

Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Do you use LibreOffice?

Post by Lucap »

Clicked on it once years ago in a linux distribution just to see what it was and have never used it since.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sphyrth

Re: Do you use LibreOffice?

Post by sphyrth »

Been using LO Writer since before it had that side-bar. I'm going to try that ribbon-like Notebook UI once it comes out.
I'm going to check how it affects my workflow both in Writer and in Impress.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Wait what? They are going to implement a ribbon UI look?
I use Libreoffice when I need a writer or a spreadsheet for a simple task. It satisfies my needs.

If I need to do something complicated, I use Latex or R/Matlab...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it generally comes with most Linux Systems,
but, may require an update, to a later version, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

use it almost every day works for me.
Also use WPS for some things - it's not in the repositories. but works fine in Mint.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Use it all the time and it works great for what I need. :)
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I've been using LibreOffice since December of 2012 when I started using Mint 14.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Every day since 2012, for work. I write articles and books in LibreOffice. Usually with odt format, then I convert to pdf and docx to send the texts to the publishers.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc »

Works fine for me personally but for work I get MS Office docs that I have to edit and send back to others, which may lose some formatting depending how complicated the document (like Word with embedded Visio). Have to otherwise use MS Office with work provided Win laptop.

Given MS ported Office to Mac when it had a relatively small user base maybe they'll soon do it for Linux now that "MS loves Linux". How well does the online version work with Linux browser, haven't tried it.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

My history with LibreOffice goes back to StarOffice for OS/2, but I did not commit to it until OpenOffice v2.0. I used it both on my home system and on my work laptop, and I migrated to LO after the schism. I have used OO/LO in MS-Office environments without too much trouble. Yes, I have had compatibility issues, but frequently I have the same compatibility issue using MS-Office.

One thing I really dislike about LO is Calc does not have the Sum Data Alt-= keyboard shortcut. Calligra Sheets has this shortcut, and I am dangerously close to switching. The only thing preventing me is Calligra Suite isn't as integrated with itself as I would like.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Do I use it? Not much (for "heavy" stuff I still prefer WordPerfect on my Windows machine). If they go with a ribbon UI, I'll never use it again.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

It doesn't hurt having it installed. It takes about a few hundred megabytes of space and it's got no startup file running in the background. (Some people interpret bloat as having many unnecessary apps you don't use. I don't, as long as they're dormant.)

I used to use OpenOffice's (Windows version) for my writing needs because I found that it can import MSOffice files with accurate results, ie, docs with tables or semi-complicated formatting, and LibreOffice at that time can't do the job as efficiently. That was about five years ago. Nowadays I rarely write formatted text and when I have to I'll use Libre Office, which I now find capable.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Schultz wrote:If they go with a ribbon UI, I'll never use it again.
It will be an option. And on my side, I think they need a ribbon. People are so used to it, that lacking it makes you look old and not worth it. I believe this negatively impact Libre Office. Having a modern ribbon UI can help.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Microsoft Sues Corel for Copying Its Office Ribbon UI

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 8018.shtml
December 23, 2015
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

My version of WordPerfect doesn't have the ribbon UI.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

LibreOffice is great. I love it. Been using it (and before its birth, Open Office) exclusively since 2006. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Yes in MInt 18.

Open Office with W10.

L
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

For those worried about the Ribbon-like UI:
As already stated, it will only be an OPTION. The Document Foundation is somewhat trying to make a revolutionary statement by allowing users to "Choose your UI" rather than "Here's the UI, take it or leave it" approach. Yeah, KingSoft Office already had that feature, but it didn't make that much impact.

I'm just going to try that Notebook UI for the sake of it. But when it comes to preference, I'm leaning towards the one-line toolbar and sidebar UI.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Pjotr wrote:LibreOffice is great. I love it. Been using it (and before its birth, Open Office) exclusively since 2006. :)
Same for me :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Yes, I use LibreOffice, and I like it. Before LibreOffice, I used OpenOffice. And I used Star Office on Windows before I knew about Linux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”