Don't care
1%

Total votes: 133

Seff
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Do you use LibreOffice?

Post by Seff »

I actual came across an article in an old issue of Writer's Digest about whether or not to switch to a graphical word processor. :) When I was much younger (the 90's) my family all used DOS so that was interesting.

Yes, I use LibreOffice. And continue to hope for a novel-organization program for Linux...
Mint "Rafaela" Cinnamon x64
Satellite L755D

hobbledehoy899
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hobbledehoy899 »

I personally use ONLYOFFICE.

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

thom_A wrote:I was just curious about LibreOffice's version of the MS Ribbon. I couldn't find it in this 5.3 version. Looks like it didn't make it. I wonder if it's the same in the Win10 version. Anyways, nothing to rush about. Thanks.
You have to turn on LO's "Experimental Features" to see for yourself. The Notebook UI doesn't look great... especially for the Extra Toolbars that pop out when you select tables, images, etc. That Toolbar just breaks every UI experience... except for the classic, of course.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

pvangsgaard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pvangsgaard »

Use it for all my personal stuff, my budget is done with the LibreOffice Calc mostly, i don't write so many letters.

I have used office before and also Google docs, but i like having a real program that is free of charge and don't change too much.

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Seff wrote:I actual came across an article in an old issue of Writer's Digest about whether or not to switch to a graphical word processor. :) When I was much younger (the 90's) my family all used DOS so that was interesting.

Yes, I use LibreOffice. And continue to hope for a novel-organization program for Linux...
Have a look at http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Seff
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seff »

Thank you, @Tenfoot. I have Scrivener installed and will take a look at Writers' Cafe.
Mint "Rafaela" Cinnamon x64
Satellite L755D

CoffeeFiend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I've used it with Raspian on my Raspberry Pi2. It gets the job done, so I like it.
"The best part of waking up, is Folgers in your cup!"

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Interesting... at the moment, 81% of the voters choose LibreOffice. I'm not surprised, It's a wonderful Office suite, not inferior to MS Office at all. 8)
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

xfrank wrote:Interesting... at the moment, 81% of the voters choose LibreOffice. I'm not surprised, It's a wonderful Office suite, not inferior to MS Office at all. 8)
Well, i respect the survey, & despite the small sample size its results are clear; i am totally out of step with the surveyed majority. Nevertheless, for my needs, LibreOffice is simply unpleasant & inadequate to use... it consistently butchers all my old MS Office docs & spreadsheets [.docx, .xlsx, etc]. As i earlier indicated, LO in isolation is clearly an excellent product, & deserving of admiration, which i would likely extend to it if it were not for my substantial body of pre-existing MS Office docs from my decades of pre-Linux Windows use.

Since my earlier post, i have learned how to run MS Office 2010 Pro direct in Linux, in a dedicated WinePrefix. It's not perfect, as this causes certain little foibles to manifest that don't arise when running natively in Windows. However after really extensive testing, that trade-off is completely acceptable to me for the huge benefit of now being able to efficiently & effectively work with all my existing MS Office docs & create new ones, all without the tedium of having to fire up my [yuck yuck yuck] Win10 VM, or using WPS Office Suite [which until this recent WinePrefix discovery had been my preferred, albeit flawed, solution].

Given the general tenor i discern in this thread, i doubt anyone is interested, but if they are, i can easily paste in the simple steps to create the WinePrefix if desired.
Manjaro KDE 5.15.x [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

kdemeoz wrote:[LibreOffice] consistently butchers all my old MS Office docs & spreadsheets [.docx, .xlsx, etc]
Convert them to Open Document Format in MS Office first? MS Office 2013 and up are supposed to support the current ODF version (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument#Software).
kdemeoz wrote:Since my earlier post, i have learned how to run MS Office 2010 Pro direct in Linux, in a dedicated WinePrefix.
Please run a virus and malware scanner on any new files you put in that. Wine makes you vulnerable to Windows malware and viruses (https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Is_Wine_mal ... patible.3F).

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

xenopeek wrote:
kdemeoz wrote:Since my earlier post, i have learned how to run MS Office 2010 Pro direct in Linux, in a dedicated WinePrefix.
Please run a virus and malware scanner on any new files you put in that. Wine makes you vulnerable to Windows malware and viruses (https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Is_Wine_mal ... patible.3F).
Hi, thanks, & yes i know & agree. This is another reason my use-case suits me but maybe not other people. I have no need to use docs/files created by any other user, and, given i am extremely mindful of that potential risk, make it my default self-management policy indeed NOT to ever use anyone else's files, in this context. Thus, my thinking is, if my WinePrefix deals exclusively with docs i created myself, on this pc, without exception, then [hopefully] there is no attack vector available.

After getting this WinePrefix running, for the first couple of weeks i additionally only launched Excel, Word, Ppt etc in the prefix, inside FireJail. My druthers would be to continue doing that, but unfortunately for reasons i am not smart enough to discover, the Office pgms frequently "froze" [completely locked up, needing to be killed] in FJ [particularly if i ran more than one of the suite's pgms at once, which i commonly need to do], whereas their stability & reliability when not in FJ, is high. I would have my cake & eat it if i could deduce how to cure that freeze problem [i run ALL my internet-facing pgms in FJ, & none of the others suffers that annoying problem... but then again, they're all actual Linux pgms].

Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

I use LO every week, mostly Calc.
Have never used MS Office, I began with Lotus123 on DOS and later assorted versions of Quattro Pro (Win3.1 through XP). Around 2006/07 I moved to Open Office and migrated into LibreOffice from there.

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

kdemeoz wrote:
xenopeek wrote:
Hi, thanks, & yes i know & agree. This is another reason my use-case suits me but maybe not other people. I have no need to use docs/files created by any other user, and, given i am extremely mindful of that potential risk, make it my default self-management policy indeed NOT to ever use anyone else's files, in this context. Thus, my thinking is, if my WinePrefix deals exclusively with docs i created myself, on this pc, without exception, then [hopefully] there is no attack vector available.

After getting this WinePrefix running, for the first couple of weeks i additionally only launched Excel, Word, Ppt etc in the prefix, inside FireJail. My druthers would be to continue doing that, but unfortunately for reasons i am not smart enough to discover, the Office pgms frequently "froze" [completely locked up, needing to be killed] in FJ [particularly if i ran more than one of the suite's pgms at once, which i commonly need to do], whereas their stability & reliability when not in FJ, is high. I would have my cake & eat it if i could deduce how to cure that freeze problem [i run ALL my internet-facing pgms in FJ, & none of the others suffers that annoying problem... but then again, they're all actual Linux pgms].
Today has ended very differently to how it began. This morning i decided to investigate more into the question of whether my personal protocol [described above] was truly keeping me safe, or if i was living in a fool's paradise [with me as Chief Fool]. Online research led me in a series of tangential leaps from where i intended to go, to instead reading [inevitably] many more people [variety of sites] extolling LO. One of these was a page i read some months ago which mentioned the LO Fresh PPA, & another mentioning that LO 5.3 premiered the LO "MUFFIN" UI [aka MS-esque Ribbon]. I did actually muck about with that in a VM months ago, in an early 5.3 version, & thought it interesting but underdone. Predictably in today's research i also came across widespread Linux user "hatred" of this new UI, with the common theme being that MS is dumb, the Ribbon is evil, & LO should stick with its traditional purely menubar UI. These attitudes always puzzle me, as a very large reason for my previous aversion to LO was precisely it felt "old fashioned & clumsy" to me, given i was a longterm MS Office 2010 user who really valued the ribbon UI. Also, MUFFIN supplements the LO menubar, not replaces it, so the whiners were being a bit unfair. Anyway, given that a rather later version of 5.3 is now current via the PPA, i decided to look at it again in case i found it more compelling this time... & i did!

It's now well after Pumpkin Hour, ie, i've spent a very long day on this venture, & learned a lot more about how to customise LO to my tastes. Contrary to my prior opinion of older LO versions, i have now reversed my attitude &... have tentatively made LO 5.3.x my default Office suite on my Tower. I still have MS Office 2010 in its WinePrefix, & also still have WPS Office suite, but i am now sufficiently impressed with this new LO that it seems viable for me... what a turnaround in my opinion! :-)

These factors from today combined to change my mind:
1. MUFFIN
2. Sidebar
3. Much better compatibility with a number of my existing .docx, .xlsx & .pptx files that i retested today
4. I learned how to customise the right-click context menu to give me most [albeit not all] of the functions i rely on from MS Office 2010.
5. I learned how to customise the Toolbar also to my tastes.
6. I also serendipitously discovered some pretty cool features & functions i'd not realised, as i did #4 & #5.
7. v5.3.x has done something nice with its font management & display. Earlier times that i tested LO Writer, my docs rendered "ugly", but now somehow with this new version they are "nice".

Whilst the method seems arcane even labyrinthine, i learned how to customise Writer's & Calc's Default templates to match my needs. For quite a while i was about to reject Calc as a viability for me whilst i couldn't see how to edit its Comments' format or balloon size & position, but eventually i worked it out [a bit clumsy, but acceptable for me]. I also feared Calc didn't have Validation with Pick Lists, but happily i discovered it does. Still not yet resolved are AutoFilter based on cell colour [if it can do it then i can't find it yet], & Macros. However all these are more like icing on the cake rather than the cake itself, so will probably not be showstoppers for me. Also not a showstopper, but nevertheless quite disappointing, is an apparent inability to pin specific "Recent" docs to the Recent menu, for those files i need to frequently open [MS Office 2010 & WPS Office both do this well].

All in all, i'm surprised & pleased that i gave LO another chance. My erstwhile aversion to it would still be true now too, had its UI design stayed old-fashioned [to my tastes, not everyone's i realise], & also if its earlier poor compatibility with MS Office 2010 files remained current. Based on this long & surprising day, LO is much better than it used to be [for me], & i am happy to eat my older words. If it doesn't let me down over coming days & weeks, any putative security issues wrt my MS Office WinePrefix will be moot, as it won't be in use :-)

willim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willim »

Hi

I'm a newbie within the last few days on LMDE the version supplied is Libre Office 4.3.3.2 Build ID: 430m0(Build:2) It was short of Latin fonts but Ttf-mscorefonts-installer added some more with # sudo fc-cache -fv - as an insurance policy. :wink:

On Windows I have been using OpenOffice, a brother/sister of Libre Office, for 10+ years, prior to that I used the WordPerfect office suite since 199?. OpenOffice opened and wrote all MS office formats at least “good enough” for my purposes. I trust I'll be happy with Libre Office so far so good. LibreOffice vs OpenOffice I don't notice much difference between the two at the moment :D

09-May-2017

Some differences between LibreOffice & OpenOffice

1) LibreOffice help files are online as such one needs to be connected to the net. OpenOffice help files appear to be contained with the package so no net connection required, this may be more useful for some users. e.g. in remote parts where the net is "useless" (lacking fibre) i.e. 20 miles (or less in some cases) or so outside some cities in Scotland.

in LibreOffice searching for centimetres and centimeters, {<-- - yeugh :) my UK bias - nothing to do with volt meters, water meters or electric meters :lol: :lol: } suggests I create a Wiki page.

@ @ @ LibreOffice
Create the page "Centimetres" on this wiki!
There were no results matching the query.
@ @ @ OpenOffice
centimetres

Selecting Measurement Units
You can select separate measurement units for OpenOffice Writer, OpenOffice Writer/Web, OpenOffice Calc, OpenOffice Impress and OpenOffice Draw documents.
1. Open a document of the type for which you want to change the measurement units.
2. Choose Tools - Options.
3. ... more options etc.
@ @ @

2) There are differences in some functions in Calc - this could be problematic for users of the "rnd" / "rand" functions. Rnd/Rand was just a lucky strike while comparing help files,. I used Rand recently to create a 10x10 grid of random numbers to "hide"/ generate some pin numbers, that may have influenced my random selection. :D

@ @ @ LibreOffice
Rnd Function [Runtime]

EN
AST
BG
. list of languages

Returns a random number between 0 and 1.

Contents
1 Syntax:
2 Return value:
3 Parameters:
4 Example:
5 Related Topics
Syntax:
Rnd [(Expression)]
Return value:
Double
Parameters:
Expression: Has no effect, is ignored if provided.
The Rnd function returns decimal fractions ranging from 0 (included) to 1 (excluded) according to a uniform distribution. It uses the Mersenne Twister 19937 random-number generator. To generate random integers in a given range, use a formula like in the example below. A Randomize statement with a defined seed value can be used beforehand, if a predictable sequence of numbers is desired.
... there is more

@ @ @ OpenOffice
RAND
Returns a random number in the range 0.0 to 1.0.
Syntax
RAND()
This function produces a new random number each time that Calc recalculates. To force Calc to recalculate manually press Shift+Ctrl+F9.
To generate random numbers which never recalculate, copy cells each containing =RAND() and use Edit - Paste Special (with Paste All and Formulae not marked and Numbers marked).
Example
=RAND() returns a random number in the range 0.0 to 1.0.
@ @ @

There may be others, it may be worth users comparing the functions of the two packages if they are to be used interchangeably. And dare I say it with "other packages" to used interchangeblely.

These are not show stoppers :) just things users such as myself need to aware of. :) :)

Moderator feel free to edit/delete if I am off track.

dynamikspeed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dynamikspeed »

I use Libre Office Writer and Calc not used the other Apps in the suite.
After installing MS Core Fonts Package it works well and I use it quite often.
Like others have said it works well just a few formatting issues with word .docx files but nothing major.
I am currently testing WPS Office as I like it on Android so thought it might be good on Linux.

I noticed my bundled Libre Office is v.5.1.6.2 on Mint-18.1 I just updated it to latest v.5.3.2.2 from the Libre Office website.
Asus UX305FA Laptop, Mint 18.2 x64 Cinnamon. Solo Boot in 10s

panjia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panjia »

It has Latex extension for writing equations (TexMath), which is something I need but not exist in Microsoft Office.
I have been waiting for ribbon interface in LibreOffice and I'm glad it's finally here! :D

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

panjia wrote:I have been waiting for ribbon interface in LibreOffice and I'm glad it's finally here! :D
Ditto, as i wrote above it was a significant [albeit not the only] factor in LO finally winning me over. Officially it's not the "Ribbon" but "MUFFIN"... for me with my years of MS Office 2010 familiarity, then latterly WPS Office in Linux, i'm finding it nearly impossible to stop thinking of it & calling it the Ribbon.

I imagine you've already discovered though, it's still somewhat behind the MS one, chiefly because it does not let me customise it [which i found useful to do in MS Office]. That said, i like that the LO Toolbars are immensely customisable, so i imagine that the Devs might soon enough extend that functionality to the Ribbon, erm, i mean MUFFIN, as well. :-)

panjia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panjia »

kdemeoz wrote: I imagine you've already discovered though, it's still somewhat behind the MS one, chiefly because it does not let me customise it [which i found useful to do in MS Office]. That said, i like that the LO Toolbars are immensely customisable, so i imagine that the Devs might soon enough extend that functionality to the Ribbon, erm, i mean MUFFIN, as well. :-)
Yup, it's still experimental though. It won't be long until it gets more advanced features and functionalities.
So many ribbon haters around here so I think it will be entirely optional interface in the future releases.

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

It's established that there's no reason to hate since MUFFIN allows options and not replacements to the Traditional UI.

BTW. May I know what your particular flavor of the Notebook/Ribbon UI you have? I posted my sidebar + onebar UI somewhere in this thread.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

there's no reason to hate since MUFFIN
I'd refine that by:
there's no logical reason to hate ... MUFFIN
...yet one does not have to wait very long when DDG'ing LO &/or MUFFIN, to come across lots of hate. It's weird, given as you said, & i said earlier, it's optional [AND if you wish you can use Menu Bar & MUFFIN at once.

Re UI [& i snuck in my customised Writer & Calc context menus too; whoops, no, only 3 attachments allowed]:
20170512_002.png
20170512_003.png
20170512_001.png

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”